Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Aircraft change resulting in losing seat assignment but an upgrade to PE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist

I'm flying SFO to SEA this weekend and had an aisle seat picked out (4D - it's an old Virgin Airbus I'm presuming). This morning I was checking on my reservations and realized that there must have been an aircraft change because my seat assignment was gone (no assigned seat at all) and looking at the map row 4 was eliminated.

But when I checked the app I still had 4D. There are no other available aisle seats (save for in the back two rows - no thanks) but a handful of middle Premium Economy seats available at no charge. I snagged one before those were taken.

My question is - is there a way to be alerted about these kinds of things ahead of time? I'm short so legroom isn't really the most important thing to me (but I won't turn it down). However, I do prefer to have a regular econ aisle seat over a middle premium seat.

Also, I was curious, back in the old Virgin days I know that the Main Cabin Select folks got free food, is that the case with Alaska Premium Economy as well?

Last edited by ssk244; Oct 25, 2018 at 11:08 am Reason: punctuation
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by ssk244
I'm flying SFO to SEA this weekend and had an aisle seat picked out (4D - it's an old Virgin Airbus I'm presuming). This morning I was checking on my reservations and realized that there must have been an aircraft change because my seat assignment was gone (no assigned seat at all) and looking at the map row 4 was eliminated.

But when I checked the app I still had 4D. There are no other available aisle seats (save for in the back two rows - no thanks) but a handful of middle Premium Economy seats available at no charge. I snagged one before those were taken.

My question is - is there a way to be alerted about these kinds of things ahead of time? I'm short so legroom isn't really the most important thing to me (but I won't turn it down). However, I do prefer to have a regular econ aisle seat over a middle premium seat.

Also, I was curious, back in the old Virgin days I know that the Main Cabin Select folks got free food, is that the case with Alaska Premium Economy as well?
Lots of talk about this issue in recent days in this thread: [Heads Up] Reconfiguration of Airbus A320 (319?) Seat Map . AS is renumbering Airbus aircraft to match rest of fleet and it's creating a lot of seat assignment issues for folks.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your day that when your checked the app, you still had 4D. Where did you check to see that your had no assignment? Also, did the app show the updated seat map?

I'm trying to figure out where to check to get alerted about this asap.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Free drinks, and an additional snack item but no longer free food.
ssk244 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Your day that when your checked the app, you still had 4D. Where did you check to see that your had no assignment? Also, did the app show the updated seat map?

I'm trying to figure out where to check to get alerted about this asap.
I checked the website first, then checked the app. (I didn't click into the app seat map at the time. Just checked it and it is also showing the new seat map.)
When you look at my reservation it said 4D but when you click on the 'change seats' link 4D was missing (as well as the entire row).

Here's a screenshot (it says 17 now because I wanted to snag a seat before the system assigned me a seat in the way back). So originally it still said 4D but when I clicked into the 'change seats' link it showed the new map and NO seat assignment.

I guess the moral is - don't just look at your confirmations - verify your seats by checking the seat map to make sure that you still have the seat you thought you had.

VegasGambler likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I know its technically a downgrade from the snack boxes (which were impossible to unwrap) but the barkTHINS (dark chocolate covered pretzels with sea salt) are probably my 2nd favorite thing to eat on an airplane right now (aside from Fruit & Cheese platter of course). They're so good!

To the main issue - I don't know how long we'll have to endure the equipment headaches. I've heard they're planning to overhaul the whole fleet to standardize first class size, etc... but I imagine it's going to take some time.

Well, that's timely - just went to my app to check upcoming flights and all mine are giving seat map errors
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: This is truly ridiculous. Upon check-in the seat map CHANGED BACK. I snagged 10D (exit, aisle) which happened to be open. 17E which I previously had was further back in the plane and not an exit row.
I guess I'll find out tomorrow what happens...
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This had seriously better not happen to me. I dumped 10F (previously exit row window) for 17E (currently exit row middle). If that turns into regular middle I seriously may not board the plane and book with a real airline instead.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
UPDATE: This is truly ridiculous. Upon check-in the seat map CHANGED BACK. I snagged 10D (exit, aisle) which happened to be open. 17E which I previously had was further back in the plane and not an exit row.
I guess I'll find out tomorrow what happens...
My SFO-BOS last night was tail swapped 4 times back and forth between Row 3 and Row 6 configured aircraft.

Luckily, my upgrade cleared, so I was able to sidestep the whole mess. The GA was having a tough time explaining to people what had happened to their seat assignments though..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.