Search

Agent accidentally gave me miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines, ANA
Agent accidentally gave me miles

So...

I just booked an award flight over the phone which cost me 70,000 miles. It went through and I got a confirmation and everything. Now I'm looking at my account and I see that instead of having no miles anymore, I still have 70,000 miles meaning that the agent accidentally gave me the flight for free. Obviously I want to keep those miles but I'm scared of getting audited and losing the award after they find out what happened. Should I be concerned that this will happen? Or should I just do nothing?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by fleiyer
So...

I just booked an award flight over the phone which cost me 70,000 miles. It went through and I got a confirmation and everything. Now I'm looking at my account and I see that instead of having no miles anymore, I still have 70,000 miles meaning that the agent accidentally gave me the flight for free. Obviously I want to keep those miles but I'm scared of getting audited and losing the award after they find out what happened. Should I be concerned that this will happen? Or should I just do nothing?
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Two things:

1) Sometimes, deduction of miles isn't instantaneous
2) Let's just say the agent made a mistake. If you have integrity, you will do the right thing.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Do you have a ticket number? If you haven't been charged, I'd be concerned that no ticket has been issued and your reservation will be cancelled as unticketed by the operating carrier soon.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Do you have a ticket number? If you haven't been charged, I'd be concerned that no ticket has been issued and your reservation will be cancelled as unticketed by the operating carrier soon.
I have a booking reference number on Cathay Pacific and an assigned seat
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Bank error in your favor.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by fleiyer
I have a booking reference number on Cathay Pacific and an assigned seat
That's not the same as a ticket. If you got a "confirmation letter" email from Alaska, you can look there for a number starting with 027-. That's your ticket number.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calculon
That's not the same as a ticket. If you got a "confirmation letter" email from Alaska, you can look there for a number starting with 027-. That's your ticket number.
Just looked! I have an e-ticket number associated with the reservation starting with 027.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
Bank error in your favor.
You're probably joking, but... following the "Monopoly rule" is terrible advice when it comes to an actual bank. Merely risky advice with an airline.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:49 am

Keep quiet and enjoy another flight after you've flown this one. Don't use the miles just in case till you've flown.

Miles error in your favor isn't common, but still has happened to me maybe once every 3-4 years on complicated itineraries or changes etc. Its never audited later.
fleiyer likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Keep quiet and enjoy another flight after you've flown this one. Don't use the miles just in case till you've flown.

Miles error in your favor isn't common, but still has happened to me maybe once every 3-4 years on complicated itineraries or changes etc. Its never audited later.
I may know someone who may have gotten an EK F award booked pre devaluation and orgin changed post devaluation due to an aircraft swap for 20K. Or maybe I was hallucinating!!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:38 am

I suppose I am wondering why you wouldn't just be honest with Alaska Airlines? Is the price of your personal integrity 70,000 miles. I think you are letting it go pretty cheap.
AS Flyer, Finkface, Dalo and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

Has integrity disappeared on FT?

AS Flyer, Finkface, Goaguy and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pt flyer
I suppose I am wondering why you wouldn't just be honest with Alaska Airlines? Is the price of your personal integrity 70,000 miles. I think you are letting it go pretty cheap.
Hi there, thanks for asking! Yes, the price of my personal integrity is exactly 70,000 Alaska miles. Any more pompous questions?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by zrs70

Has integrity disappeared on FT?

Consider the OP is not dealing with a person but a corporation in an industry that charges fees at every turn, and nobody is getting personally hurt by this error. Also, this corporation has taken away things like free 60 day change and fare guarantee very recently. Yes OP, take the miles and run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.