Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

BA ticket - how many partner qualifying miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA ticket - how many partner qualifying miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never got to see how much my EQM went up because they posted after the new year (is there a way to view last year's totals?)
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I never got to see how much my EQM went up because they posted after the new year (is there a way to view last year's totals?)
Not that I am aware of. If you email AS they might be able to forward the information, at least in summary. Importantly, you made 75K and even better your GGUs and Lounge Passes are good for 2 years. Congratulations on 75K, I know upgrades are easier out of SFO but it is nice to be at the top of the waitlist just about everywhere. I had some battlefield upgrades with split PNRs, even on companion certificates last year. I didn't clear my last flight of the year PDX-PHX on a Monday morning but we were #1 & #2 on the upgrade list of 39 on a companion certificate.

James
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Do you use Avios to calculate the number of AS miles earned or actual miles flown? I asked on the BA forum how to determine miles flown and they pointed me to an Avios calculator, which shows less than a 1:1 earning for Avios:miles flown on anything less than full fare Y tickets.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Do you use Avios to calculate the number of AS miles earned or actual miles flown? I asked on the BA forum how to determine miles flown and they pointed me to an Avios calculator, which shows less than a 1:1 earning for Avios:miles flown on anything less than full fare Y tickets.
Avios has nothing to do with this. You use the AS partner earning charts. Here is the one for BA: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:BA

So the top 3 economy classes (Y,B,H) are 100%; everything else is less. You also get status bonus on top of that, but that's RDM only.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If crediting to the AS ffp you need to look at the % for different fare booking class for BA in AS web site.
What BA credits in avios for its own members for different fare booking class's is irrelevant to AS ffp. BA credit 100% avios for Economy flexible (Y, B, H) fare booking class

Other BA thread How to determine actual miles flown?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Avios has nothing to do with this. You use the AS partner earning charts. Here is the one for BA: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:BA

So the top 3 economy classes (Y,B,H) are 100%; everything else is less. You also get status bonus on top of that, but that's RDM only.
I got that much. I asked over on the BA forum for a way to determine actual flight miles and there doesn't seem to be one. They just linked the Avios calculator and a generic miles calculator, which I assume will get me close?

I can't seem to figure out the exact number of AS miles I will earn for a particular route though. For example, SEA-LHR in W earns 100% plus the 50% bonus. 100% and 50% of what? Is a generic mileage estimation tool the most accurate I can get or does AS publish how they get that number? The folks at BA seem to only know about Avios earning and nothing about miles flown.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. This is my first time dealing with trying to earn partner miles.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got that much. I asked over on the BA forum for a way to determine actual flight miles and there doesn't seem to be one. They just linked the Avios calculator and a generic miles calculator, which I assume will get me close...

I can't seem to figure out the exact number of AS miles I will earn for a particular route though. For example, SEA-LHR in W earns 100% plus the 50% bonus. 100% and 50% of what? Is a generic mileage estimation tool the most accurate I can get or does AS publish how they get that number? The folks at BA seem to only know about Avios earning and nothing about miles flown.
milecalc.com

There are other sites, but I find this the simplest.

The numbers the airline uses might be off by 1-2 miles per segment, but it will be very close.
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got that much. I asked over on the BA forum for a way to determine actual flight miles and there doesn't seem to be one. They just linked the Avios calculator and a generic miles calculator, which I assume will get me close?

The distance calculators the different airline ffp's use and the generic on line calculators can have different answers.
For BAEC Y = 100% so that the avois is the distance in miles
For SEA LHR & LHR JFK milecalc gives the same distance as GCM
If not on the AS web site the only 100% way is from some one who has flown that route/fare booking class

Will a few ff miles make any difference?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 26, 2020 at 3:08 pm
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Will a few ff miles make any difference?
Most likely no. I just wanted to make sure that I was getting as close as possible and that there wasn't a way to get the exact number in advance. I do appreciate the help.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. This is my first time dealing with trying to earn partner miles.
AS will credit you the appropriate percentage of miles for the route that the partner airline reports to AS. For a BA flight you can use the avios calculator to determine the mileage or a generic mileage calculator (I use gcmapper, which has already been recommended to you). As noted by others a calculator may be off by 1 - 5 miles but it’s close enough for determining what you will earn before you fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.