Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Entertainment Tablets Only on Hawaii, NYC & DC Area, FL and BOS Routes (11/1/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entertainment Tablets Only on Hawaii, NYC & DC Area, FL and BOS Routes (11/1/2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Canned from many routes - another thread is already going on that.
Oops--I was aware that changes were happening, but I thought they would still be on all transcons?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jinglish
Oops--I was aware that changes were happening, but I thought they would still be on all transcons?
Newp.

Last edited by dayone; Nov 6, 2018 at 7:11 pm Reason: Remove circular link after merge.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jinglish
Hardly a transcon. It is a good 125+ miles to the end of the trans!
jinglish and rustykettel like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Hardly a transcon. It is a good 125+ miles to the end of the trans!
Though CHS got the shaft too as a non-premium transcon.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
This is great news as the tablets are a waste. This will be a good lesson for the legacy VX flyers that screens are no longer in style.

James
of course you would say that - you're becoming a broken record here.

i agree with the above sentiment that this is a slap in the face for the elites for whom this was previously a 3.5h plus flight benefit
PABE likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
None on ANC-LAX anymore either not even blankets.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
No tablets or blanket on my LAX-BOS is that normal for airbus flights? I did get the tablet on HNL-LAX but no blanket.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa
None on ANC-LAX anymore either not even blankets.
Compare this to AA A321 LAX-KOA

UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, UA PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CDKing
No tablets or blanket on my LAX-BOS is that normal for airbus flights? I did get the tablet on HNL-LAX but no blanket.
Tablets and streaming entertainment are not available on Gogo equipped Airbus flights that still have seatback IFE. I'm less sure about the blanket, but would guess that it should have been loaded. I just received a blanket on PHL-SFO last night.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
They had blankets on my FLL-LAX flight (1340?) last Tuesday on an 8:55 AM departure. Still the VX config with seatback entertainment. I was in row 6 and #1 on the UG list.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by CDKing
TH just flew BWI-SFO and said there were no tablets. She carries a phone and a work laptop, she usually plays solitaire on her every other schlep to DC to unwind. She found it very south of expected.

She's never going to carry another entertainment device, so she would find this irritating if she flew this route on a regular basis.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MiniC
Tablets and streaming entertainment are not available on Gogo equipped Airbus flights that still have seatback IFE
Oh duh i should have whipped that out
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Compare this to AA A321 LAX-KOA

For now. The new AA A321 config is streaming only.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Just completed a LAX-OGG rt in First. Going out I managed to get the streaming service working on my iPad using the Gogo app, probably by accident as it’s rather confusing to get the Gogo operational. Found the streaming options very good.

But on the return flight, I just wasn’t able to get a movie to load when I clicked “Watch Now.” It would load trailers, but no the actual film/TV content. I then asked an FA what I was going wrong. Without looking at my iPad she said, “We’re having trouble with the system” and gave no answer when I asked if it will be working. She then offered a tablet.

The tablet only had a fraction of the streaming content.

I then asked a family member who was successfully streaming the content on his iPhone. He showed me the cumbersome method of connecting to device’s WiFi to Gogo and then clicking “cancel” on the splash page which then drops a menu offering the “continue without WiFi” option (or something like that) and then it will open a web browser which will successfully open the Gogo app to stream content. I got it working fine.

The crux is content on the tablets are meager and in this case the FA either didn’t know how to connect devices to streaming service or was unwilling to show us.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Oakshadow

The crux is content on the tablets are meager and in this case the FA either didn’t know how to connect devices to streaming service or was unwilling to show us.
You can also stream from the tablet. That said, on my most recent trip, the streaming to the tablet was horrible. I don't know if it was from a overloaded system, but it happened both ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.