Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Entertainment Tablets Only on Hawaii, NYC & DC Area, FL and BOS Routes (11/1/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entertainment Tablets Only on Hawaii, NYC & DC Area, FL and BOS Routes (11/1/2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G

I flew AS 82 ANC-SEA on Oct. 16 in PE. After takeoff the FA announced the service would start with water, then the entrainment tablets, followed by the drink and food carts. A minute later the FA came on and said that there would be no tablets, that "they are no longer offered on this route". She explained that we should access the entertainment using our phones or other devices. Coming home tonight the tablets were offered as in the past. Anyone else seen this on their flights?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
We had tablets both ways SEA-PHL during the last week. A couple times during the past year tablets weren't loaded on one of the longer flights for some reason and we got the "sorry for the inconvenience" spiel. Hopefully the FA was wrong about them being discontinued on some routes.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W
I flew AS 82 ANC-SEA on Oct. 16 in PE. After takeoff the FA announced the service would start with water, then the entrainment tablets, followed by the drink and food carts. A minute later the FA came on and said that there would be no tablets, that "they are no longer offered on this route". She explained that we should access the entertainment using our phones or other devices. Coming home tonight the tablets were offered as in the past. Anyone else seen this on their flights?
Was the flight coming home (SEA-ANC) officially longer than the flight ANC-SEA? And if so, is the difference such that one is just over X:XX and one is just under X:XX and X:XX is the official minimum flight time for handing out tablets? Flights are often officially longer in one direction than another (often longer westbound than eastbound, due to air currents at altitude), and you'd think an airline would take this into account (and do a route-specific waiver) if one direction is over some limit but the other direction is under some limit, but you never know.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
I saw them on SEA-ORD and reverse a week back, but notice the webpage shows availability on “coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights” - did it always use that phrase?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Was the flight coming home (SEA-ANC) officially longer than the flight ANC-SEA? And if so, is the difference such that one is just over X:XX and one is just under X:XX and X:XX is the official minimum flight time for handing out tablets? Flights are often officially longer in one direction than another (often longer westbound than eastbound, due to air currents at altitude), and you'd think an airline would take this into account (and do a route-specific waiver) if one direction is over some limit but the other direction is under some limit, but you never know.
The ANC-SEA and SEA-ANC flights are all over 3:15+-. They vary due to winds at altitude. The tablets are loaded in both directions so I see no reason to hold them back in either direction.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
I saw them on SEA-ORD and reverse a week back, but notice the webpage shows availability on “coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights” - did it always use that phrase?
I don't believe that it did. This is a grand disappointment. I don't own a pad, I hate watching on my phone, and have a huge laptop.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Had them last week ANC-PDX-ANC.

I do see the language on the website:

On coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights, you can rent our inflight entertainment tablet. As our premium entertainment option, they’re always free in First Class and available for rent in the Main Cabin. Each tablet is pre-loaded with the newest movies you’ll find onboard, plus TV shows, music, and games.
Ugh... I like the tablet. And the F seats are about to get a better way to hold them too...
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Language used to be on most flights over 3.5 hours long.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
It's possible AS will be rolling tablet deployment back, but I'd say it's just as likely that the FA inferred too much from catering's failure to load them onto the plane.

Last edited by jinglish; Oct 21, 2018 at 11:58 am
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jinglish
It's possible AS will be rolling tablet deployment back, but I'd say it's just as likely that the FA inferred to much from catering's failure to load them onto the plane.
It is also possible that a salad cart will once again roll down the aisle and each F passenger will choose from an array of toppings on the SEA/ANC route, but with the specific language change on the website, I won't hold my breath. In fact, I never do hold my breath, because if you hold it long enough, you don't die, you just suffer brain damage.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Language used to be on most flights over 3.5 hours long.
Yep, looked on archive.org and this is what it used to say:

Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I am betting a bunch of pmVX planes will show up in a bunch of SEA-XXX routes. I already see some on SEA-IAD. AS management says they want Airbus metal “up and down the coast”. SEA-ANC might be one of those markets.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:58 pm

Until 11/1 tablets should be available on all of the routes they've been on in the past. Odds are your situation was just a catering mistake. Starting 11/1 it'll just be on the premium routes (Hawaii, Florida, DC area, New England)
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS737
Until 11/1 tablets should be available on all of the routes they've been on in the past. Odds are your situation was just a catering mistake. Starting 11/1 it'll just be on the premium routes (Hawaii, Florida, DC area, New England)
Thanks for confirming the bad news
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by AS737
once again AS......Oh crap! Will this never end ?
they really like kicking us every couple of weeks and wait to see if we keep coming back for more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.