Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Gross. Interesting read on the link you provided. Since saver fares need dual availability, I wonder if we'll see 'saver' as an option for all coach fares, or if AS will stop offering it once fares get pricey.

I'm surprised to see mileage-earning unchanged, but I won't be buying these fares based on the draconian restrictions for elites.
For me, I guess it will depend on the route and pricing difference. If it's a single-route/day transcon where I know I'm not going to get upgraded anyway, and it's a significant price difference, I might be willing to go the saver level. But more than likely, I'll be paying a little more to fly with the flexibility of changes/cancellations and the shot of an upgrade.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
[QUOTE=be_rettSEA;30342791]This link (a guide to saver fares for travel agents) was posted in an 75K facebook group I follow and describes a lot of the benefits (or lack of) that the saver fares will have:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/saver-fares

It sounds like it won't necessarily be it's own distinct fare class from the description (so you could potentially buy a non-saver R fare or a saver Y fare, for example), but in summary:QUOTE]

Looks like both X class and the actual fare class have to be available to get the saver fare so it will be offered all the way up to Y

• Booking class: Saver fares are filed in booking class (RBD) “X” and at a range of levels, each one linked with a corresponding fare basis beginning with a Y, S, B, M, H, Q, L, V, K, G, T, R.
  • Dual availability required: Saver fares require dual availability (book “X” but another applicable Main Cabin inventory code must also be available).
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Heh. So basically elites on those fares get RDM bonuses and early boarding, nothing else.

If AS matches WN lowest fares with these fares I basically have very little incentive to not book WN; it’s not like I get F or changes or standby anyway for being a Gold. Essentially I get to pay a surcharge for the Gold benefits I want to use.

I guess it’s free agency in 2019. I can’t see chasing status so I can pay extra to use my status. A lot of my destinations have options (DAL/DFW, LAS, LAX, ORD/DFW, Florida). It was a good run I guess.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Very interested to see what the price difference comes out to be. It’s now buy your perks.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
Very interested to see what the price difference comes out to be. It’s now buy your perks.
Yup, either pay upfront with a higher fare or at the airport. I fail to see how this will help them though with their primary competition in the west being WN.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Looked again at the dates beckoa posted with X0 listed, and saver fares (B character in the 7th position) haven't been filed yet.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I don't know if AA/DL/UA do that too, but the idea of having to pay a premium on top of a Y or B fare to have elite benefits is pretty crazy...
TheDudeAbides and jjmadison like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I don't know if AA/DL/UA do that too, but the idea of having to pay a premium on top of a Y or B fare to have elite benefits is pretty crazy...
UA was doing it for a while, as I recall. They may have stopped. Can’t imagine why someone would pay $800 or something for a last minute one way and be angry because they are treated like they bought a $29 fare on NK...
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

UA was doing it for a while, as I recall. They may have stopped. Can’t imagine why someone would pay $800 or something for a last minute one way and be angry because they are treated like they bought a $29 fare on NK...
UA got smart somewhere along the way with seating for elites on Basic Economy fares though. While you still can't select your seat in advance, I'm 100% for being placed in E+ even when E- is empty. I would hope AS does the same by placing eligible members in Premium seats.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA got smart somewhere along the way with seating for elites on Basic Economy fares though. While you still can't select your seat in advance, I'm 100% for being placed in E+ even when E- is empty. I would hope AS does the same by placing eligible members in Premium seats.
Premium middle vs. non-Premium aisle or window? Kthxno. And given how wacky AS's upgrade results are on their version of SABRE I don't hold out a lot of hope for "smart" or "consistent".

I would hope AS isn't filing YB or SB fares because that would be very painful: a MVPG75K on a $600 ticket one way bought last minute, skipped over for upgrades for some MVP on a $400 ticket bought in advance. Fun times, and the exact opposite of what you want to encourage in this "we treat you as well as the price you paid for your ticket today" scheme.
jinglish likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I flew basic economy on DL for the first time the other weekend, and it wasn't awful--I didn't exactly need an F or C+ upgrade on a SEA-SFO trip, and I still got to board with group 1. But I also managed to get a window seat in both directions thanks to DL's mobile app auto-checkin and the ability to set seating preferences in my SkyMiles profile. I'd expect to get stuck in middles a lot on AS, since they have neither.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
UA was doing it for a while, as I recall. They may have stopped.
Yes, UA had a terrible roll out and some $1000+ domestic one ways for last minute travel were coded as basic economy. I imagine people were not happy to find out that the "flexible" fare ticket they thought they were buying was confiscated and electronically shredded if they didn't board on time Now once the fares hit a certain level on UA, basic economy is not even given as an option--even when fares within California get up to the $150 range many times basic economy is blocked. It is one thing on a $29 fare from LAX to SFO. That you would expect to have restrictions. If AS gives you say a $25 discount off the full Y fare and gives you "basic economy" treatment, those people will not be happy at all.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Yes, UA had a terrible roll out and some $1000+ domestic one ways for last minute travel were coded as basic economy. I imagine people were not happy to find out that the "flexible" fare ticket they thought they were buying was confiscated and electronically shredded if they didn't board on time Now once the fares hit a certain level on UA, basic economy is not even given as an option--even when fares within California get up to the $150 range many times basic economy is blocked. It is one thing on a $29 fare from LAX to SFO. That you would expect to have restrictions. If AS gives you say a $25 discount off the full Y fare and gives you "basic economy" treatment, those people will not be happy at all.
That is what one would hope, especially since corporate booking policies are often "lowest fare".
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Agreed--oftentimes, ex-DCA for the flights I take, the lowest fare available is an H fare anyway. If I have to start paying a premium on top of the H fare to be considered for an upgrade, that's really going to bother me.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It's not clear if UA got smart, or if UA just uses the same seating algorithm for all tickets. If you have no seat, place in E+ if Premier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.