Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska raises baggage fees for tix purchased on or after Dec 5, 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*

Matching the Big 3 and JetBlue, bags will be $30/$40/$100 for tickets purchased or exchanged on or after 12/5/2018:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...es/1685809002/

Full chart here:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/fee-changes
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I guess it pays to be on team carry-on, elite or have the credit card
osotoc likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS
Well, the dominoes are starting to fall. We all know what will be next.......my thoughts....Oh Crap. I guess I will find myself saying how much I USED to love AS. It was a good run.
rustykettel and SpicyMorale like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:30 pm

These changes are irrelevant as long AS has no revenue component for elite status.

They're dipping their toes in the big-boy pool and this is what it takes to float.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by CDKing
I guess it pays to be on team carry-on, elite or have the credit card
Or be traveling to and from Alaska State.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by KnownasEric
These changes are irrelevant as long AS has no revenue component for elite status.

They're dipping their toes in the big-boy pool and this is what it takes to float.
They aren't even floating, the are swimming in money even post merger.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I too am skeptical that every profit-seeking AS change is a sign AS is going to make Mileage Plan revenue-based. They're still fighting DL hard at SEA, and especially given the partner loss fallout from the end of that partnership, a distance-based loyalty program is one of the few things they can show for being a better option that DL.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
AS is leading the way in giving advance notice. AA announced it on Sept 20 and the website says the increase went into effect Sept 21. Many pax haven't bought their holiday travel tickets yet and this will be an incentive to do so sooner.

Citi / Chase / Amex must love these increases. At $95 for a card and $60 r/t for a bag it's now break even on your second return trip, as opposed to your third outbound.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'm annoyed by the 3rd bag fee going to $100 as well as the overweight bag fee going to $100.

Juxtapose this to several other carriers where 3 bags at 70 lbs are permitted for top tier elites.

It's not often I check this much, but am annoyed by these changes.

Thanks AS
DrAlex likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'm annoyed by the 3rd bag fee going to $100 as well as the overweight bag fee going to $100.

Juxtapose this to several other carriers where 3 bags at 70 lbs are permitted for top tier elites.

It's not often I check this much, but am annoyed by these changes.

Thanks AS
I wish the elite benefit was an allowance, not a waiver, so that the third bag started at $25/$30 and so on. And stackable with credit card/First allowances.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel

I wish the elite benefit was an allowance, not a waiver, so that the third bag started at $25/$30 and so on. And stackable with credit card/First allowances.
When bag fees were first implemented, the third bag was $25 for elites/club 49. That only lasted a few years.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I wonder if a bicycle counts as an "oversize bag" (=$100). Elsewhere on FT, I'd read that on AS bicycles flew for free (a great perk if true).
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jcp3rd
I wonder if a bicycle counts as an "oversize bag" (=$100). Elsewhere on FT, I'd read that on AS bicycles flew for free (a great perk if true).
Eligible sporting equipment flies for $30.00 too and enjoys the same fee waiver for Elites & CC holders.

Sporting Equipment

James
jjmadison likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: UA Plat
Ah - thanks, James! -- jcp.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Eligible sporting equipment flies for $30.00 too and enjoys the same fee waiver for Elites & CC holders.

Sporting Equipment
Even WN is up to $75 for a bicycle, and UA is $150. That's a big advantage on some routes, like flights to the Big Island, where there are a lot of people who bring bikes.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.