Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Adding a companion ticket at a later date?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I will be due a companion fare ticket in March or April. I am planning to use the companion ticket along with my ticket for a flight in August. Can I purchase my ticket now for the August flight, and then when my companion fare is awarded, add to my existing reservation, or must they be purchased at the same time? Thank you in advance!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See these posts in the companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29705303-post621.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29399056-post605.html
And:
Waiting for companion code
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Also note that the above posts are before the recent change/cancellation policy revision. Unless you AND your companion are Gold or 75K, the fee will apply to each traveler MVP or lower after 24 hours of purchase. No more 60 day out free changes/cancellation.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I am trying to formulate a companion pass strategy for a trip to Hawaii next summer. We are a family of four. My wife and I each will soon have a companion pass to use. My wife should have MVP status by then as well. I believe I could get MVP status thru a status match from my lifetime AA Gold, but am not sure I want to "waste" my match just yet.

My initial thought was to simply make two reservations: one for each of us with one kid as companion, buying the cheapest coach fare available. But then I started thinking of upgrades. If I bought a refundable fare ticket for my wife, with me as companion, then given U availability, would we clear into F? My research indicates the answer is 'no' as MVPs do not get companion upgrades in any circumstance. And even if I had MVP status as well, it still wouldn't work as we'd need to be on separate reservations, and AS won't split companion fare reservations. Do I have this right? If so, it also implies no free MVP upgrade to F or Premium class at the gate.

Also, even if there is a way to make the above work, I'm not sure I can then book my kids using my companion pass, with one kid as primary and one as companion.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome...thanks in advance!

[edit to add]: sorry for hijacking this thread, OP. I had followed some of the links posted up-thread and thought I was posting in the companion fare thread. My bad. Thanks to those down-thread who answered my question anyways.

Last edited by mangoMan; Oct 18, 2018 at 1:39 pm
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
MVP cannot get an upgrade on a companion ticket and you cant split companion fares into separate PNR
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
And even if you could get an upgrade, as an MVP getting an upgrade to Hawaii is not likely.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CDKing
MVP cannot get an upgrade on a companion ticket and you cant split companion fares into separate PNR
In advance with >U2, can use a GGU or miles for the non status companion.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27347003-post41.html

Presumably, two MVPs should be able to do an instant upgrade under the same circumstances. Personally, I wouldn't blow the match just for that and I'd book one adult and one child on each reservation. I know you can link reservations post purchase but that keeps an adult with each child just in case it gets overlooked.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel

In advance with >U2, can use a GGU or miles for the non status companion.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27347003-post41.html

Presumably, two MVPs should be able to do an instant upgrade under the same circumstances. Personally, I wouldn't blow the match just for that and I'd book one adult and one child on each reservation. I know you can link reservations post purchase but that keeps an adult with each child just in case it gets overlooked.
Assuming there is U space, two MVP's on a qualifying fare should clear. Note, this qualifying fare will be expensive, and a nonrefundable first class ticket could be cheaper (probably not once the companion cert is factored in). Finding U class for two will also prove to be difficult, if not impossible to Hawaii.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by beckoa
Finding U class for two will also prove to be difficult, if not impossible to Hawaii.
Until the recent clampdown, it was still pretty available, at least on HNL routes. I'm still holding out hope that it will get better than it is now, if not as good as it was, but we'll see.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Until the recent clampdown, it was still pretty available, at least on HNL routes. I'm still holding out hope that it will get better than it is now, if not as good as it was, but we'll see.
It would be nice. I'm sitting on a sizable collection of GGUC's currently...
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I just found 2 x U for HNL flights for next spring. Finally got the EF notification and I have had an alert set for months. I snapped them up but only had 3 GGUs left so I had to book an M fare for the inbound. Not too much difference with the companion cert fortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.