Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Heads Up] Reconfiguration of Airbus A320 (319?) Seat Map

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Airbus aircraft featuring bulkhead at row 6:
Print Wikipost

[Heads Up] Reconfiguration of Airbus A320 (319?) Seat Map

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Were you able to switch into a premium seat? Or are they all gone?
There were only middle seats available for Premium. I did take advantage of the opportunity to ask them to switch me into an LAX-BOS nonstop flight and waive the change fee as a courtesy, which the woman on the phone obliged me on (I'm guessing this was a much better reaction than she'd gotten from a lot of other people calling in unhappy being about screwed over).

The really fun one though is going to be my return BOS-LAX flight, I'm in 4D and there's no aisle seats left anywhere else on the plane at all. Not looking forward to getting stuck in a middle seat on a nearly 6 hour transcon, which I'm going to want to take advantage of my Group B boarding on to get my overhead space. :s

This LAX-BOS leg is pretty damn empty, and I got upgraded up to first on this flight—I was the only person listed on the upgrade list—but IMO getting first on one leg isn't worth being stuck in a middle seat on the other.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Hopefully the actual numbering is fixed by then as well or it'll be the same thing as they swap in Row 3 Airbus for the flight.

I’m 75K and have a flight on Friday - my seat went from 3F, to 21C.

Called reservations and they claimed there’s nothing they can do. She even acknowledged that passengers with lower status were given premium seats.

interestingly, there are still premium middle seats available, but I was not assigned one. I doubt I’ll be upgraded even if an aisle or window premium seat becomes available, since it appears this seating change took me out of the upgrade cue..
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
At the very least, I'd move to row 10. avoid 3/4/5 like the plague. You know where you will end up with 10 if it gets reconfigured. It's not great, but also not terrible. If 3 disappears you could end up anywhere.
Did you see my post where I shared the legroom of the "new row 10" ?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by beckoa
Did you see my post where I shared the legroom of the "new row 10" ?
Yeah, it's pretty bad, but it's still better than 22B or 22E and also has the distinction of becoming an exit row (he's currently in 3A) if swapped to the updated numbering config...
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Yeah, it's pretty bad, but it's still better than 22B or 22E and also has the distinction of becoming an exit row (he's currently in 3A) if swapped to the updated numbering config...
Thats true- it does like swaps are happening both ways now...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Thats true- it does like swaps are happening both ways now...
Yeah it happened to me.

I think (though I'm not sure) that many of these these are due to equipment swaps (rather than a particular plane being renumbered between booking and takeoff). They have some planes with some of the numberings, and some with the others. So you can get swapped in either direction, more than once.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Just because you think it's easy doesn't mean it's actually easy.
I'm sure the fundamental problem - AS's ratty IT systems - is hard to fix. But it's 2018, one would think this would have been a priority to address a long time ago. And I'm not even talking about the merger!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:48 am

The obvious solution is to avoid pmVX planes until the dust settles, but for many of us, that's not even an option. My next trip is SFO/LAX on the 8th & 9th of Nov., and that route is 100% Airbii. Outbound has Row 3 config, return has Row 6 config. I'm already in Row 2 for both, so I'm going to bring a bag of popcorn and just watch the show.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:51 am

The obvious solution is to avoid pmVX planes until the dust settles, but for many of us, that's not even an option. My next trip is SFO/LAX on the 8th & 9th of Nov., and that route is 100% Airbii. Outbound has Row 3 config, return has Row 6 config. I'm already in Row 2 for both, so I'm going to bring a bag of popcorn and just watch the show.
​​​​​​
On such a short flight I'm not sure I'd even care about getting stuck in a middle seat. It's the long range flights where you can really get hosed over this.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
​​​​​​
On such a short flight I'm not sure I'd even care about getting stuck in a middle seat. It's the long range flights where you can really get hosed over this.
You're absolutely right, but it's still a big F*U to AS' elites, no matter the length of the flight.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
You're absolutely right, but it's still a big F*U to AS' elites, no matter the length of the flight.
Definitely true.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update on my SFO-IAD flight this past Monday. Per my up thread posts the row renumbering bit me. But it worked out. I was originally able to snag 6B so at least had a Premium Economy seat though a middle. I watched the seat map like a hawk and at T-30 minutes 17A opened up so I grabbed it. And better yet, 17B was empty and stayed empty so was actually a decent ride. Was listening to others in the other row 16 and 17 seats and the consensus was these were people who originally had those seats and lucked out by keeping the same seat number but it was suddenly an emergency exit Premium Economy seat. Wonder how many elites got hosed. I know none of them were Gold or 75K as I am the only one that got offered the chocolate. And based on the conversations I would venture to guess none were MVP either and some probably not even MP members. Two men in row 16 were both about 90 and doubt they could have done anything to help evacuate the plane as they could barely operate the tray table.

So, for my return next Wednesday, the 7th it is still showing a row 3 as bulkhead so I proactively picked seat 6C hoping it turns into a bulkhead aisle premium economy seat. No Premium economy aisles left to choose, rows 3, 9 and 10, but some windows with no one in middle. Will wait and see what happens.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:20 pm

There were only middle seats available for Premium. I did take advantage of the opportunity to ask them to switch me into an LAX-BOS nonstop flight and waive the change fee as a courtesy, which the woman on the phone obliged me on (I'm guessing this was a much better reaction than she'd gotten from a lot of other people calling in unhappy being about screwed over).

The really fun one though is going to be my return BOS-LAX flight, I'm in 4D and there's no aisle seats left anywhere else on the plane at all. Not looking forward to getting stuck in a middle seat on a nearly 6 hour transcon, which I'm going to want to take advantage of my Group B boarding on to get my overhead space. :s

This LAX-BOS leg is pretty damn empty, and I got upgraded up to first on this flight—I was the only person listed on the upgrade list—but IMO getting first on one leg isn't worth being stuck in a middle seat on the other.
I'm now in new row 29D. At least not a middle seat, but it's bad enough getting a ride from LAX on Sunday nights when you're near the front of the plane. Ugh.

Not to mention being next to the bathroom line for a lot of the flight.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm now in new row 29D. At least not a middle seat, but it's bad enough getting a ride from LAX on Sunday nights when you're near the front of the plane. Ugh.

Not to mention being next to the bathroom line for a lot of the flight.
My advice: DEFINITELY call customer service and complain. Be polite, but make it clear that you are extremely upset (I like to say, in a calm voice: "Ok, I'm really upset... here's why"). Make it clear that you selected a seat that requires a fee for non-elites, and ended up in a non-elite seat in the back of the plane. At least you'll get a discount code.

That sucks man. Honestly I was pretty upset about my experiences, but I ended up in a much better spot than a lot of people here.

For everyone else -- I'm going to repeat myself. Avoid rows 3-5 like the plague. Pick something that will at least get "reconfigured" to a decent seat (ie, the number maps to something somewhat acceptable on the new map). If you pick 3/4/5, you can end up anywhere, and it seems like that's usually at the back of the plane.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:12 pm

My advice: DEFINITELY call customer service and complain. Be polite, but make it clear that you are extremely upset (I like to say, in a calm voice: "Ok, I'm really upset... here's why"). Make it clear that you selected a seat that requires a fee for non-elites, and ended up in a non-elite seat in the back of the plane. At least you'll get a discount code.

That sucks man. Honestly I was pretty upset about my experiences, but I ended up in a much better spot than a lot of people here.

For everyone else -- I'm going to repeat myself. Avoid rows 3-5 like the plague. Pick something that will at least get "reconfigured" to a decent seat (ie, the number maps to something somewhat acceptable on the new map). If you pick 3/4/5, you can end up anywhere, and it seems like that's usually at the back of the plane.
This is the third Alaska flight in a row where I've had a problem with my seat, and believe me Alaska will be made aware of this fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.