Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The AS "Penalty Box" (Tarmac Holds) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The AS "Penalty Box" (Tarmac Holds) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:48 am

Passing 2.5 hours on the plane for the 50 min SFO-LAX flight. Waiting for a gate.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd

I have seen similar near parallel approaches on CAVU days but not in overcast weather. They definitely use both L and R runways for landing when possible.
If you have a YQX at the approach plates for 16L & 16R (see: https://flightaware.com/resources/ai...SEA/procedures) you'll see, that it is allowed under IMC.
(example 16L CAT II / III)
Simultaneous approach authorized with Rwy 16R.
DME or RADAR required. CAT II: RVR 1000
authorized with specific OPSPEC, MSPEC, or LOA
approval and use of autoland or HUD to touchdown
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by CZBB
If you have a YQX at the approach plates for 16L & 16R (see: https://flightaware.com/resources/ai...SEA/procedures) you'll see, that it is allowed under IMC.
(example 16L CAT II / III)
Simultaneous approach authorized with Rwy 16R.
DME or RADAR required. CAT II: RVR 1000
authorized with specific OPSPEC, MSPEC, or LOA
approval and use of autoland or HUD to touchdown
Interesting. It's also allowed under CAT I. I wonder how many airlines have the authorization for the simultaneous approaches. I'm sure Alaska/WN/FedEx/QX would use HUD to touchdown (not sure if Delta has HUDs).
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Was on SEA-SFO (pmAS) on Monday. Flight was late due to late arriving crew. After we left the gate, it looked like we were heading to RWY 16C (which would be weird since the wind was from the north), but then I realized that there was a line of planes on taxiway T queueing for RWY 34C. Captain said something about being 15th in line, iirc.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sturges
Was on SEA-SFO (pmAS) on Monday. Flight was late due to late arriving crew. After we left the gate, it looked like we were heading to RWY 16C (which would be weird since the wind was from the north), but then I realized that there was a line of planes on taxiway T queueing for RWY 34C. Captain said something about being 15th in line, iirc.
Saw the same when I flew DL SEA-SFO on Saturday. I was near or at the rear of a six- or seven-plane line coming from the southern side of the terminal, all DL except for one UA plane, and all the AS and QX aircraft were coming around from the north. It took us ages to get off the ground, with at least ten or twelve AS flights leaving before we finally made it to the runway--probably to keep that taxiway from getting too absurdly crowded.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, United Platinum
First post ever because I was wondering how often this happens being a former Virgin Gold & almost never being such on tarmac or delayed and now doing Alaska for my regular SFO-PDX work commute. My last 12 flights with extended time on the tarmac have been delayed including today on SEA>PDX where it was 40 minute delay and then another 25 on the tarmac for the 20 minute flight. Also had an SFO>ORD delayed, then on tarmac for 40 minutes then we landed in Milwaukee because they claimed first the weather was too bad in Chicago to land and then they were going to run out of full. My partner's UA flight on the same route left at the same time and had no problem landing....
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by tjinsf2013
First post ever because I was wondering how often this happens being a former Virgin Gold & almost never being such on tarmac or delayed and now doing Alaska for my regular SFO-PDX work commute. My last 12 flights with extended time on the tarmac have been delayed including today on SEA>PDX where it was 40 minute delay and then another 25 on the tarmac for the 20 minute flight. Also had an SFO>ORD delayed, then on tarmac for 40 minutes then we landed in Milwaukee because they claimed first the weather was too bad in Chicago to land and then they were going to run out of full. My partner's UA flight on the same route left at the same time and had no problem landing....
Welcome to Flyertalk @tjinsf2013 and the Alaska Airlines forum.

Interesting about SFO-MKE- perhaps AS is testing the waters on a new market?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by tjinsf2013
Also had an SFO>ORD delayed, then on tarmac for 40 minutes then we landed in Milwaukee because they claimed first the weather was too bad in Chicago to land and then they were going to run out of full. My partner's UA flight on the same route left at the same time and had no problem landing....
Weather, especially thunderstorms, are fickle beasts. Just because a plane left at the same time, doesn’t mean it would be landing at the same time. AS could have filed a different route than UA due to weather, turb, ATC routing requests etc. UA could have been five minutes behind AS (not uncommon to get in trail spacing on the same route going to the same airport), which would have enabled them to have a hole that AS might not have had and so on.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS88 landed nice n early. Now we're stationed between N and the road (good view of the construction). A fellow passenger just mentioned "I hope they're not building our parking spot"
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
AS88 landed nice n early. Now we're stationed between N and the road (good view of the construction). A fellow passenger just mentioned "I hope they're not building our parking spot"
Update from the Flight Deck:

​​​​​"A Delta aircraft just pushed back from the Delta gates and it's nosewheel has become disabled. Waiting for it to clear out before we can move" LOL good Ole Dulta.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

As130 sea-pdx

Finally took off after a sizable delay first pushing out of D4, then stuck in the alley (#6) and #19 for takeoff.

But airborne now. Low ceilings in SEA... beware.

Other fun today:

PDX diversions (9/9/19) due to F18 landing [Open again]

Last edited by beckoa; Sep 9, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.