Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Earning Miles on Partner Flight with Abandoned Return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG

I have a SFO-MEL-SFO QF return booked (primarily to earn AS miles) and now my plans may be changing. If I abandon the MEL-SFO return leg, will I still earn miles on the outbound?

It looks like reissuing the ticket at a one-way or multi-city will be cost prohibitive. Should I call QF before no-showing on the return?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:23 am

You'll earn the miles. Don't call QF.

Save your boarding pass until they post (although that's always a good idea with any partner earning)
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
You should earn on the legs you fly.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by quemalo
Don't call QF.
It really doesn't matter. People cancel flights all the time. You can just say, "I need to cancel" and if they ask about rebooking just say your plans are still unsettled. Or cancel online . . . many carriers allow you to do that (don't know specifically about QF).

But the first question is whether there's any way for OP to access the value of the ticket after a cancel. If there's not, I would tend to just no-show as it's easiest. QF will automatically cancel the reservation when you miss check-in cut-off.

The other thing to keep in mind is if the flight is canceled or substantially delayed due to mx, wx, etc., you may be entitled to a refund. It's therefore recommended FT practice to wait and see if you get lucky with one of those
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Kacee
It really doesn't matter. People cancel flights all the time. You can just say, "I need to cancel" and if they ask about rebooking just say your plans are still unsettled. Or cancel online . . . many carriers allow you to do that (don't know specifically about QF).

But the first question is whether there's any way for OP to access the value of the ticket after a cancel. If there's not, I would tend to just no-show as it's easiest. QF will automatically cancel the reservation when you miss check-in cut-off.

The other thing to keep in mind is if the flight is canceled or substantially delayed due to mx, wx, etc., you may be entitled to a refund. It's therefore recommended FT practice to wait and see if you get lucky with one of those
Thanks for all of your feedback, very insightful. I also have a future AKL-MEL-SFO O/W booking in J with decent cancellation terms. I may try calling QF and seeing if I can reprice my return from AKL and then cancel the O/W flight that I have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.