Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Requests for assistance via Twitter now get re-directed to texting

Old Oct 2, 18, 7:37 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Did I miss a thread about this?

I have always found the AS Twitter Team very helpful (particularly a couple of reps who seem to work in the evenings; others not quite as much) and willing to both answer simple questions ("What's the menu in F on AS123 going to be?" or "Where is the aircraft for AS456 coming from?" etc) as well as sometimes deal with more complex situations (one time after a cancellation, I was re-booked and got a credit voucher for the cost of my rental car to reposition me to the new outbound airport and all was done via one particularly great Twitter rep).

But in the last few days, I've had a couple of of the simple sort of questions (menu, where aircraft coming from, seat assignment weirdness) and in each case the Twitter rep told me they no longer handle such things and told me I needed to text 820-08 with my question instead.

Now, to be fair, in each case, I got a virtually immediate response from the text agents.

But I also think that if this signals a diminution of AS' Twitter support that's regrettable.
Old Oct 2, 18, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titatium, Hertz PC
Seems like they are just trading one digital platform for another. If they are just as responsive I see no reason to be concerned.
Old Oct 2, 18, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
I was going to post about that. I tweeted them the other day about the disappearance of seat assignments for Q400 segments and asked them if they could check if my seats are still in the system. Reply: please text reservations :/
Old Oct 2, 18, 9:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DuckFlyer View Post
Seems like they are just trading one digital platform for another. If they are just as responsive I see no reason to be concerned.
I can tweet from my desktop/laptop. Text messages go to my phone.
jinglish likes this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 9:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DuckFlyer View Post
A perhaps minor one: occasionally I have had need to include a picture with my DM to the Twitter rep; the new text support explicitly notes that pictures are not supported.

Wondering if @missydarlin has any official word on this change?

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 2, 18 at 9:50 pm
Old Oct 2, 18, 10:11 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Another downside of SMS compared to Twitter is that, unless your phone and carrier support WiFi texting, you can't contact SMS support while in the air.
Old Oct 2, 18, 11:29 pm

Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
Another downside of SMS compared to Twitter is that, unless your phone and carrier support WiFi texting, you can't contact SMS support while in the air.
Or overseas with a non-text SIM.
Old Oct 3, 18, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
I can tweet from my desktop/laptop. Text messages go to my phone.
yes, I had the same concern. Might try to text them from my google voice account though.
Old Oct 3, 18, 6:18 am

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
Did I miss a thread about this?

I have always found the AS Twitter Team very helpful (particularly a couple of reps who seem to work in the evenings; others not quite as much) and willing to both answer simple questions ("What's the menu in F on AS123 going to be?" or "Where is the aircraft for AS456 coming from?" etc) as well as sometimes deal with more complex situations (one time after a cancellation, I was re-booked and got a credit voucher for the cost of my rental car to reposition me to the new outbound airport and all was done via one particularly great Twitter rep).

But in the last few days, I've had a couple of of the simple sort of questions (menu, where aircraft coming from, seat assignment weirdness) and in each case the Twitter rep told me they no longer handle such things and told me I needed to text 820-08 with my question instead.

Now, to be fair, in each case, I got a virtually immediate response from the text agents.

But I also think that if this signals a diminution of AS' Twitter support that's regrettable.
Even with like menu questions? I have always either talked to Jordan or Andre and they have always been the best. I just asked them yesterday about a couple menus and they didn't direct me to the text message option.
Old Oct 3, 18, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Reply: please text reservations :/
Wait, reservations? If texting can actually do legitimate assistance like reservation modifications, that would be useful. AS Twitter has always told me to call res for changes, and they can only do non-res related stuff (unlike DL).
Old Oct 3, 18, 8:13 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Think of Text as Reservations (pre-flight) and Twitter as Customer Care (post-flight). The Social Care team can also help troubleshoot issues day-of-flight (Pre-Check, MP#, etc.). Social Care just cannot modify a reservation and that is the reason they need to refer you to the reservation telephone number. Now that Reservations has Text support, the Social Care team can redirect digital guests to Text (reservations). Please note - Due to security limitations, transactional issues cannot be done on either channel.
Old Oct 3, 18, 8:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Frankly this is just Alaska exposing their internal contract agreements with reservation agents and customer care agents to customers. I want to talk to Alaska on the channel that is convenient to me for the issue I have at hand. I shouldn't be forced into a specific channel just because reservation agents can't work social media and vice versa.

Fix the contracts and get reservation agents working on the social media team.

Neil
Buster, bmvaughn and ucdtim17 like this.
Old Oct 3, 18, 8:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Wait, reservations? If texting can actually do legitimate assistance like reservation modifications, that would be useful. AS Twitter has always told me to call res for changes, and they can only do non-res related stuff (unlike DL).
Have been successful w/ text support in the past being able to help with: flight changes (including charging card on file for upfare), questions about general reservation/change policies, seat assignment changes when the app wasn't working, cancelling flights, etc. In general, it's about the same as phone reservation support, but without having to talk to someone. On one or two occasions, they've asked if they can call me to handle more complex requests.
Old Oct 3, 18, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seahawks10177 View Post
Even with like menu questions? I have always either talked to Jordan or Andre and they have always been the best. I just asked them yesterday about a couple menus and they didn't direct me to the text message option.
I think whether you get re-directed or helped directly depends hugely on which Twitter rep is on the desk. I agree with you about the two you mention; there's a third one who's also great and who has indeed done reservation-related stuff for me. I don't know if it's a matter of these reps knowing more or being authorized to do more.

But like others, I would like the choice of channels, and would like the Twitter folks to be fully empowered.
Old Oct 3, 18, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa View Post
The msg was:

“Hello! Sorry about that, our Reservations team can take a closer look and assist you with this. You can reach them by sending a text message to 82008.”

Search this Thread
Search Engine: