Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Requests for assistance via Twitter now get re-directed to texting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Requests for assistance via Twitter now get re-directed to texting

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
A new feature from Alaska Airlines may soon put an end to time wasted on the phone waiting for travel help. In late-September, Alaska became the first U.S. airline to provide help by way of text message. Fliers can message 82008 to connect with a customer service representative for answers to simple travel questions.

An estimated 70 percent of people who contact Alaska are using a mobile device, according to the airline. Of the calls that are made to the airline, Alaska believes 40 percent of them could be handled through text messages.
https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginni...e-13276449.php
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I have had zero luck with AS and twitter. Perhaps texting will help, but think my requests are generally too complex. Now, if this makes others switch to text, perhaps my queue for answer will be even shorter ^
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I MUCH prefer twitter DMs to text messages. I can tweet from any device, and history will be on any device. What if I'm in the air and can't text? I think I use the twitter team more often then not when I'm on flights.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bworrell
I MUCH prefer twitter DMs to text messages. I can tweet from any device, and history will be on any device. What if I'm in the air and can't text? I think I use the twitter team more often then not when I'm on flights.
I prefer Twitter DMs as well but you can still text in the air since it's a free option via GoGo.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:13 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Can you confirm that? The last time I was using the "free texting" option on an AS flight, it would only send/receive (iPhone) iMessages; texts to non-iPhones failed.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Can you confirm that? The last time I was using the "free texting" option on an AS flight, it would only send/receive (iPhone) iMessages; texts to non-iPhones failed.
Your carrier and phone have to support WiFi calling, which might be an option you have to manually enable in settings.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Instead or in addition to texting, email would be my preferred method.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by cblaisd
yes, that happened on my last flight as well (not a particularly pleasant result after ~6 months when all texts went through)
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jrl767
yes, that happened on my last flight as well (not a particularly pleasant result after ~6 months when all texts went through)
I think Gogo/AS tightened the website filters for the free chat option. It was possible to surf or send/receive email until recently, albeit very slowly.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
I prefer Twitter DMs as well but you can still text in the air since it's a free option via GoGo.
True... But I've found that it doesn't always work... Don't know why.

I guess I should reserve judgement and try this myself to see if I get redirected for the questions I ask.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel

I think Gogo/AS tightened the website filters for the free chat option. It was possible to surf or send/receive email until recently, albeit very slowly.
Yup.

I can't access expertflyer nor Flyertalk no more inflight
rustykettel likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
I'm all for this change. I'd much rather companies use open and standard communication methods (texting, email, their own websites) rather than Facebook, Twitter, and the like for promotions and feedback. Believe it or not, there are still some people out there who feel that these private channels are a net negative for society and don't want to participate and drive their growth.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just used the text service for the first time and found it to be extremely responsive and helpful. My earlier comment regarding it not being a big deal that twitter service was moved to text stands.

In fact doesn’t GoGo provide 30 mins free Iphone messaging? So if you don’t have a subscription this will actually now be free instead of paying for wifi to use Twitter.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by bworrell
FWIW, for those in the Apple ecosystem, even texts (ugh, green bubbles) can get saved and synced across all devices. You should also be able to text in the air with many carriers (e.g. I have AT&T WiFi calling enabled).
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: HH Silver
I used the text option a couple weeks ago when I first noticed it. I used it to ask about my KTN not being in my reservation. They added it quickly, but then told me they would not be able to do anything like that again via text due to security concerns.

I agree with Istream. Although I have and occasionally use twitter and facebook, I would rather use text or email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.