Oversold First Class?!

Old Sep 29, 18, 5:16 am

Programs: AA Exp
Iíve seen twice now on UA. Once no equip change, itís a route I often fly. They offered $500 at the gate, to sit in coach. Problem solved. Needless to say my upgrade didnít clear
Old Sep 29, 18, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Eighteen days out is a bit early for FAM or must ride bumps or an inop seat.
Not necessarily. I've been nailed by a FAM bump about 5-6 weeks out. Not sure when they get their schedules, but it seems they give advance notice to the airlines.

As for must rides, it's possible there's a charter or schedule change necessitating the positioning of the crew at that time. Knowing that a weeks out seems right.
Old Sep 29, 18, 9:11 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer View Post
So Alaska didn't oversell it, they overbooked it? Is that what you are trying to say?
To be clear, the Pricing and Revenue Management department sold the aircraft with the assumption that it would have 16 F seats. The aircraft was changed by Scheduling at some point to a 12F aircraft.

That said, a travel agent should not be freaking out about this. They should be using their channels to resolve the problem...
Old Sep 30, 18, 7:40 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Except it still looks to be a 739. The AS CoC states that bumping order is based at time of check-in, not purchase, and is applied to those who do not have confirmed seat assignments. If you have a confirmed seat assignment, I would expect you to be fairly safe from being bumped.
Old Oct 1, 18, 10:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG
The last three flights either from SEA-OGG or PDX-OGG the last year or so, all FC on a 738, I received the same note about overbooking and this was 5 weeks before each trip. Never have been bumped, but once was moved to a different FC seat and it wasn't for a FAM but for a positioning pilot. Still could not figure out why they moved me from 2C to 3C but was not sent to the back. Interesting that the overbooking appeared to be only on the outgoing segment on all flights.
Old Oct 1, 18, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer View Post
The last three flights either from SEA-OGG or PDX-OGG the last year or so, all FC on a 738, I received the same note about overbooking and this was 5 weeks before each trip. Never have been bumped, but once was moved to a different FC seat and it wasn't for a FAM but for a positioning pilot. Still could not figure out why they moved me from 2C to 3C but was not sent to the back. Interesting that the overbooking appeared to be only on the outgoing segment on all flights.
How do you know it wasn't an FAM? Isn't the point sort of that we're not supposed to know/be able to tell?
Old Oct 1, 18, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post
How do you know it wasn't an FAM? Isn't the point sort of that we're not supposed to know/be able to tell?
Not sure if a FAM dresses in a Captain's uniform with AS credentials. His co-pilot sat in 3A next to me; why they bumped me from 2C to 3C was kinda strange, unless they did not get along together. Didn't really chat with him as I snoozed for most of the trip.
Old Oct 1, 18, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
What is crazy is the AS downgrade order. Most carriers downgrade in the reverse of upgrade order. Thus, a paid full F seat would only be downgraded if all other seats were also full F and the passenger had higher status.
I suspect that F is all confirmed seats at this point - not upgrades. For one, AS seems to sell their F seats: I say this as an MVP who doesn't get many upgrades, but who *does* buy quite a bit of confirmed F because it's often priced quite reasonably. About what another carrier's kiosk upgrade would cost...but at booking time, in a first-class fare bucket, with F EQM/RDM and lounge access.

If we got into the upgrade window and then there was an equipment change or inop seat, then I suspect they'd back them out in reverse order of upgrade, which would effectively be by status and then by fare type.

Originally Posted by SJWarrior View Post
Iíve seen twice now on UA. Once no equip change, itís a route I often fly. They offered $500 at the gate, to sit in coach. Problem solved. Needless to say my upgrade didnít clear
Knowing UA, they probably put the volunteer in a middle seat in the back, refused to comp his drinks and food, made him board with a late group, and then gate-checked his bag.
Old Oct 1, 18, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post

Knowing UA, they probably put the volunteer in a middle seat in the back, refused to comp his drinks and food, made him board with a late group, and then gate-checked his bag.
Actually it was he and his wife. They got middle and aisle, but boarded well after I did. I was group 2 and watched them go to the GA to volunteer. They sat near and we chatted a bit. We never brought up the switch. I thought it in poor taste to ask. I also donít think the FA knew they took the bump.
Old Oct 2, 18, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SJWarrior View Post

Actually it was he and his wife. They got middle and aisle, but boarded well after I did. I was group 2 and watched them go to the GA to volunteer. They sat near and we chatted a bit. We never brought up the switch. I thought it in poor taste to ask. I also donít think the FA knew they took the bump.
Well, good that they got to sit together. Boo on the GA for not getting word to the FA who they were and to make sure they got well taken care of in Y.
Old Oct 11, 18, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Again, when I sold the cabin (for 10/15 - travel has not even started) it was/is 737-900 and still 737-900. No equipment change.
Old Oct 11, 18, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
To be clear, the Pricing and Revenue Management department sold the aircraft with the assumption that it would have 16 F seats. The aircraft was changed by Scheduling at some point to a 12F aircraft.

That said, a travel agent should not be freaking out about this. They should be using their channels to resolve the problem...
Travel is for 10/15 and the aircraft type has not changed. Sold as a 737-900 and still is a 737-900. If AS is going to change aircraft type, why not do it now?