Earn AS miles through Hertz

Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Earn AS miles through Hertz

I was stumbling around trying to see if I should burn $25 on 500 AS MP miles or $30 on 150 Hertz points from E-Rewards and found out you can earn miles from your Hertz reservation including a 6-month retroactive form you can fill out online.

Good list of other airlines:
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/partn...on=globNav_8_1

and "hotels":
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/partn...on=globNav_8_1
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
The Hertz partnership is weird. I generally only get ~50 miles credited and there is usually a ~$3 airline points fee tacked onto my reservation.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also have a look at as.com for the Mileage Plan rental car partners and what you can earn:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ental-partners

For Hertz:
Earn 50 miles per rental day on rentals of one to four days, or 500 miles per rental on rentals of five or more days, on qualifying rentals at participating locations.

Use Mileage Plan discount number CDP 321739 for savings and benefits.

Earn 4x miles and save up to 35% on base rates.
Earn up to 2,000 miles per rental at participating locations in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Canada through December 31, 2018.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sturges
The Hertz partnership is weird. I generally only get ~50 miles credited and there is usually a ~$3 airline points fee tacked onto my reservation.
Buying miles at 6 CPM? Lol Ill pass. Now if there is a 1k/2k bonus it makes more sense, maybe even a 5x bonus...

I typically buy $8.40 (600 RR points) of WN award fares for $3 instead.
jinglish likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I linked my Alaska acct to my Budget acct and the last few rentals I got 200 bonus miles.
Sure enough there's some vague tax starting with "FTP SR" on each bill for $3. A quick search seems to confirm that is a "tax on rewards points earned"... really???

At least it comes out to 1.5 CPM
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:01 pm

Most (maybe all?) the car rental companies charge a daily fee, $1-$1.50 usually, if you elect to earn frequent flyer miles on the rental. Makes sense if there is a nice bonus attached, but not so much if you are earning 50 miles on the entire rental.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
If you retrocredit miles, will you also get retroactively charged the $3?
SpicyMorale likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
@jackal has more information, but IIRC international carriers avoid the surcharge. Think it's to cover the 7.5% tax from the DOT.

I stick with points myself.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
If you retrocredit miles, will you also get retroactively charged the $3?
I don't think you can retro-credit miles. I have tried and always get a response back such as "your rental was not eligible."
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by sturges
I don't think you can retro-credit miles. I have tried and always get a response back such as "your rental was not eligible."
Mhm, got the Marriott points "on the way", 500 to be exact. Will update.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

For Marriott, I ended up getting 1,250 points.

Two 500 bonus points (should have received only one)
And then I got 250 bonus points for my stay in San Diego from the hotel, at least that what I'm assuming

For Alaska Airlines nothing yet, not even an email confirming my retroactive credit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.