Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The Future of the digEplayer Is...Virtual Reality (VR)?

Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Today on AS12 on way to Boston there was a film and camera crew on board with passengers testing and posing with new VR sets that will apparently replace the beloved, and perhaps hated, digiplayers. Congrats Alaska for making the great leap forward, if it indeed happens.
RaginPlainsman likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS
Welcome to Flyertalk Seafreq1472. Thanks for passing that information on to us. Sounds promising.
Seafreq1472 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
So they are having passengers put on the VR headset so they can imagine being in a lie flat seat from BOS?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I wear glasses and in my experience with VR headsets, they tend not to work all that well with them. (I have a pretty strong prescription and the diopter correction dials unfortunately don't go far enough.) Hopefully whatever devices they're using will work better?
amejr999 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Fascinating. I'll be very interested to see if this is more than a pilot project. I also have all sorts of questions ranging from whether they'll find a way to pipe in-flight announcements in, since situational awareness when using VR is by design just about nil, to how they'll design a simple enough user interface to be able to be easily used. Thanks for the report!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS
More info over at Engadget:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/24/...atic-vr-pilot/
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Alaska blog post on this

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/vr-trial/

Ten flight trial starting yesterday on BOS-SEA and BOS-SAN.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman
Fascinating. I'll be very interested to see if this is more than a pilot project. I also have all sorts of questions ranging from whether they'll find a way to pipe in-flight announcements in, since situational awareness when using VR is by design just about nil, to how they'll design a simple enough user interface to be able to be easily used. Thanks for the report!
I've experienced the same thing! I hope they will consider those of us who do have strong prescriptions/eye issues.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:54 pm

Can't wait to get slapped, bumped and elbowed by my seat mate thinking he's the star in an action movie...
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Can they livestream footage from a 360 camera mounted on the nose of the aircraft? It would be like flying in a glass airplane!!
RaginPlainsman likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
what's a digiplayer?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
what's a digiplayer?
Its the brand of tablet that can be rented on longer Alaska flights.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ainment/tablet
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
At first I had to think really hard what "VR" was.....then I finally figured it out.....while this ranks pretty high on the "cool scale".....I'm not sure I want to completely be unaware of my surroundings on an aircraft....especially if, for example, there is an emergency or I want to watch a movie while eating my meal.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:53 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by CDKing
Its the brand of tablet that can be rented on longer Alaska flights.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ainment/tablet
The name is used generically for AS' handheld IFE. It actually refers to the original "digEplayer," a “trade-paperback sized gadget … with a large hard disk, color LCD screen and built-in stand." There were at least two generations of the device.

Last edited by dayone; Sep 24, 2018 at 7:42 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
At first I had to think really hard what "VR" was.....then I finally figured it out.....while this ranks pretty high on the "cool scale".....I'm not sure I want to completely be unaware of my surroundings on an aircraft....especially if, for example, there is an emergency or I want to watch a movie while eating my meal.
meal? Oh, you didn’t see the news about the future of the F class meal?

Soylent!

j/k

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.