Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Originally Posted by simonsuo
i booked 3 U spaces for SNA-SFO-EWR, Then there is a 4 hours schedule change, yes 4 hours. called and told if i change to other flights, we will lose our first class seats because no other flights have these much U space. not happy. but the rep said i can change later close in to flight if there are more U open up.
When you say you "booked 3 U spaces", do you mean with GGUs?
SNA-SFO is its own game, but I highly doubt you'll be able to SDC or otherwise change to an SFO-EWR flights with 3 U spaces at any time, especially during the comp window.

I also haven't had luck with HUCAing when I'm not in paid First (regardless of instrument/comp) and trying to get on a different flight. They're not going to bump a paid F or another U just for yoU.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sudobuntu

I also haven't had luck with HUCAing when I'm not in paid First (regardless of instrument/comp) and trying to get on a different flight. They're not going to bump a paid F or another U just for yoU.
Interesting. I have a 100% success rate of getting supervisors to open up U space if I have a schedule change on a GGUed reservation. It's taken a HUCA a few times, but I've never gotten too much pushback.
be_rettSEA and simonsuo like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Interesting. I have a 100% success rate of getting supervisors to open up U space if I have a schedule change on a GGUed reservation. It's taken a HUCA a few times, but I've never gotten too much pushback.
I guess we could always use more HUCA
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
It's taken a HUCA a few times, but I've never gotten too much pushback.
If you had to call back "a few times", I would consider that to be significant pushback
As for me, I had always thought that would be a non-starter. In my last situation it was F0 anyway...
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dmodemd
If you had to call back "a few times", I would consider that to be significant pushback
As for me, I had always thought that would be a non-starter. In my last situation it was F0 anyway...
It has only taken 1 HUCA each time in 3-4 of the 10+ times I've had a sked change on a GGUed ticket.The other 7+ times, no HUCA required.

If the flight is F0, then it's a different story of course.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
It has only taken 1 HUCA each time in 3-4 of the 10+ times I've had a sked change on a GGUed ticket.The other 7+ times, no HUCA required.

If the flight is F0, then it's a different story of course.
Until recently, I would have agreed with you. I have never had a problem in the past. In the 10+ times this has happened to me it was always sorted in the first call. This last sked change, I have tried 4 times over the past month and a half and got a ‘no’ each time. The last call (today), I thought I had gotten a yes, so I made the flight change and she reissued the tix. When I checked after to choose seats, we were back in coach. I called back and said I think there was a miscommunication. She put me on hold a really long time to get a supe and came back and said she had fixed it. I got the impression they weren’t opening U to preserve upgrades anymore and it was only because of the other agent implying she would do it (keep our upgrade intact) that they did it in this case. I hope I’m wrong but I have never had to call more than once ever before and this time, I was told no effectively 6 times. And side note, there were 11 of 12 F seats available on the new flight so it was not an issue of a full or even close-to-full cabin.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS, UA, AA, HiltonHonors
OK - I suppose I should know this, or should have found it somewhere, but I've been looking (and looking and looking) for the answers to the following. No luck, so here goes, but first a couple of givens - a) I'm only talking about AS here, and b) I'm only talking about upgrades to paid fares, using mileage:
  1. When I see things like "F0" or "F12" or "U0", etc. in peoples' posts, can I assume that this is a result found after a query on EF (or some other pro tool)?
  2. Is EF (fare alert) the tool that most people use to check on upgrade-able seats? IOW, should I subscribe?
  3. Do most people who are using EF for this purpose have pretty reliable results, or do they use other sources as backup?
  4. What's the closest in (calendar-wise) that it makes sense to start looking for these available upgrades (330 days? 6 months? 2 weeks?), or is it entirely random?
I have a few flights I'm watching for late this year (Nov/Dec) - so that when U space opens (mileage upgrade is what I am looking for), I'd like to pounce on them ASAP. Right now I am checking AS reservations site every day (sometimes more often) but it's kind of a time-suck.

Answers to any/all of this (gently, please....) will be much appreciated.....
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
EF is a good tool, alerts are not "real time" ie a query is run (uncertain of frequency, but I think daily until closer in). I like to run manual queries periodically to check myself. And EF will only go to 7 (there may be more seats AS is willing to sell, but that's all we know without internal AS info)

U is released irregularly; sometimes at schedule load, during schedule changes (or new frequencies being added) or not at all. If U does appear, grab it. There's a good chance it will be 0'd out later on. Good luck ^
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
^ just scored AS2 SEA-DCA four weeks out
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wow - I managed to score 3 seats in F to Maui. It's not until early April next year, but still. Impressed.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
My family is spending the 4th in Seattle. Was able to grab two GGU upgrades for my brother, LAX-SEA and SEA-OAK. Coach tickets were about ~$150-200 each way IIRC. Was pleasantly surprised to find it so easy to burn a couple of GGUs so close to the day of departure, because I've always found them difficult to use in the past.

Perhaps it's just that fewer elites are traveling for the holiday week, but when he cleared, there were still about 10/16 seats open in F on both flights.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
U is released irregularly; sometimes at schedule load, during schedule changes (or new frequencies being added) or not at all. If U does appear, grab it. There's a good chance it will be 0'd out later on. Good luck ^
Tip: People who just quickly read over this part without letting it sink in should read it again. It's a very useful bit of information.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sudobuntu
When you say you "booked 3 U spaces", do you mean with GGUs?
SNA-SFO is its own game, but I highly doubt you'll be able to SDC or otherwise change to an SFO-EWR flights with 3 U spaces at any time, especially during the comp window.

Reservation 1 using GGU, and reservation 2 is upfare to get instant upgrade for me and my companion.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jrl767
^ just scored AS2 SEA-DCA four weeks out
for perspective, my GGU-able Q fare was $404 ... while I’ve willingly paid ~$459-$579 for TCON redeyes, $789 for the single available P seat was just too much to consider

a couple hours later there was (obviously) no U space remaining, and F was up to $1099

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 2, 2019 at 4:26 pm Reason: correct fare basis
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
I had a lot of trouble with U space late last year, but have had plenty this year. UG rate over 85% overall!
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.