Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Are there 75ks on SAN-EWR?
Might not be. I cleared in May as an MVPG, but as a solo traveler and within T-24. And both F and Y ended up being full. Is there a better way to tell than buying a Y fare and waiting until the UG list opens?

My main concern for this flight was that they might trickle out only U1 and all the MVPs and lower fare MVPGs hop ahead of us. This flight is at Y6, which if I understand correctly means only 6 economy seats are left to sell. In that case I definitely don't want to be back there.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure it's a great use of a GGU Long flight; why risk it?

I'm just wondering how elite-heavy a flight between two non-hubs is
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by sudobuntu
This flight is at Y6, which if I understand correctly means only 6 economy seats are left to sell. In that case I definitely don't want to be back there.
Y6 would indicate they are selling 6 more tickets for the flight. That could actually mean there are fewer than 6 seats left on the plane if their historical data indicates one or more are likely to cancel or change last minute/miss the flight altogether or from a revenue perspective it's worth it to oversell and pay someone to fly at a different time, date, or routing to ensure every seat is full on departure. Congrats on snagging the U for both of you on the transcon!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just SDCed into U space for SFO-SNA. After I grabbed my seat there were still 7 empty F seats (which is a lot for an E75). This is at about T-18hr
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I just SDCed into U space for SFO-SNA. After I grabbed my seat there were still 7 empty F seats (which is a lot for an E75). This is at about T-18hr
That flight is bound to have lots of gate upgrades, or else it'll be a ghost town for you in F!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingislove
That flight is bound to have lots of gate upgrades, or else it'll be a ghost town for you in F!
Left with 3 empty seats in F. Honestly I'm not sure where the other 4 people came from. Maybe they upgraded some MVP+companion pairs? Or maybe non-revs (though they didn't seem like it)

It seems like U is only ever available in advance when they think upgrades are going to be easy. This seems like a poor strategy on AS's part... they are not great at selling F but the upfare to K can be significant. It also means I'm probably just going let my GGUs expire unused since an opportunity to use one probably means that I'd get the comp upgrade anyway (unless if K or higher is cheapest available -- then I may as well use one if U is available too since it doesn't cost me anything)
flyingislove likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I think part of the challenge in assessing U availability is that it can be released but taken immediately by instant eligible fares before we can really notice. So a true picture of U releases are hard to assess. I imagine a couple of instant eligible fares in the Y cabin can make it look like U is never showing up. Might not be the case in this instance, since I am still not sure if instant upgrades jump the queue or not.

If you have spare GGUs I am sure someone can help around here.... ����
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw
I think part of the challenge in assessing U availability is that it can be released but taken immediately by instant eligible fares before we can really notice. So a true picture of U releases are hard to assess. I imagine a couple of instant eligible fares in the Y cabin can make it look like U is never showing up. Might not be the case in this instance, since I am still not sure if instant upgrades jump the queue or not.

If you have spare GGUs I am sure someone can help around here.... ����
I guess I'm skeptical, but then again, it's all assumption based, you're correct. It may be that they haven't changed their numbers, but a lot more people qualify.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by williwaw
I think part of the challenge in assessing U availability is that it can be released but taken immediately by instant eligible fares before we can really notice.
Maybe, but since you can't waitlist GGUs, that doesn't help.

A GGU is only useful if there is U space before your upgrade window opens. I'm just saying that in cases where I've seen that, it's almost always been flights where my upgrade as Gold would clear anyway. So all I'd be doing by using the GGU is paying extra for K to get an upgrade that I would have gotten for free anyway.

I'll still use them if K is the cheapest available if course, but I don't see the point of paying extra for K.

This is actually beneficial to elites... AS could essentially sell the upgrades out from under us by opening U space early and let people skip the queue for the price of the upfare to K. They aren't doing that. I'm not complaining here... just sharing my strategy to maximize my value.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
We were able to snag 2 U's each way on SEA-LIH about 5 months or so in advance (booking late December, for travel in May). We had to fly out on a Monday and back on the following Thursday, and intentionally booked it around U space being available since we had expiring GGUs.

Honestly though, after what I'd call lackluster F service, I'm not going to book a vacation around U availability any longer. I'd rather have the dates I want even if it means sitting in Y as opposed to sitting in F for 6 hours, getting a glorified TV dinner, and getting ignored by the FA for a third of the flight.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

[...]

This is actually beneficial to elites... AS could essentially sell the upgrades out from under us by opening U space early and let people skip the queue for the price of the upfare to K. They aren't doing that. I'm not complaining here... just sharing my strategy to maximize my value.
Huh? Denying Elite Benefits is beneficial to Elites? Wow! Only MVPG+ receive GGUs for achieving status. As part of that, they can gift them to others. You are seriously looking at that backwards or perhaps more from a "that doesn't benefit me" perspective. "I don't purchase K and I don't find value in Companion Certificates so AS please don't open U to let other Elites the opportunity to upgrade because I like mine for free!"

Again, SFO perspective. I doubt your strategy would be as effective if you lived in SEA. It may work for you, but don't paint the entire network with one brush.

AS sells upgrades out from under you to non-elites at the gate. How is that better than opening U 3-5 months out so Elites can exercise the benefits of their loyalty? That seems a little short sighted IMO.

You rarely see U space on Airbus Series aircraft. It seems they wait to the last minute and then release them for upgrades. I try not to book flights on the filthy birds and don't care about those upgrades. Row 17 is the only acceptable seat for me. Once they have completed the reconfiguration across the board, hopefully U space will return to more consistent, pre VX levels.

While you find the companion certificate useless, I don't. As part of my loyalty, I like to purchase K and confirm myself into the F cabin with my companion at the time of purchase. I only need to purchase one K fare. The cost to me for the companion is always $99 and taxes whether I purchase R, Y or U.

James
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Huh? Denying Elite Benefits is beneficial to Elites? Wow! Only MVPG+ receive GGUs for achieving status. As part of that, they can gift them to others. You are seriously looking at that backwards or perhaps more from a "that doesn't benefit me" perspective. "I don't purchase K and I don't find value in Companion Certificates so AS please don't open U to let other Elites the opportunity to upgrade because I like mine for free!"
I get GGUs too. I don't think it benefits me any more or less than any other MVPG.

I have no idea what this has to do with companion certificates. But MVPGs can upgrade companions too so I don't think it matters if you paid cash for both tickets and used a companion certificate for one.

The point is, paying extra for K on a flight where you would get upgraded anyway is a waste of money.

As a 75k, I find it hard to believe that you would not be getting comp upgrades on all those flights where you are paying extra for K. The last time I used a GGU (likely, ever) my MVP friend got upgraded at the gate. That was a waste of $100...

AS sells upgrades out from under you to non-elites at the gate.
They aren't supposed to, according to currently stated policy.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
I'm just wondering how elite-heavy a flight between two non-hubs is
Based on observing the fare classes on my flight every few hours now that we're inside the 75K window, there are likely a couple. F keeps going down by 1, but seats are not selected until a few hours after. This behavior seems indicative of a 75K upgrade, given the asynchronous process of being upgraded and selecting a seat, though it's also possible that it's a last minute booking or an MVPG with a GGU as well.

On the other hand, 5 of the 7 "refundable/elite only" rows in Main are completely empty so *shrug*
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
i booked 3 U spaces for SNA-SFO-EWR, Then there is a 4 hours schedule change, yes 4 hours. called and told if i change to other flights, we will lose our first class seats because no other flights have these much U space. not happy. but the rep said i can change later close in to flight if there are more U open up.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by simonsuo
i booked 3 U spaces for SNA-SFO-EWR, Then there is a 4 hours schedule change, yes 4 hours. called and told if i change to other flights, we will lose our first class seats because no other flights have these much U space. not happy. but the rep said i can change later close in to flight if there are more U open up.
HUCA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.