Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1

They also removed U availability from regional jet routes, which aren’t being impacted by reconfiguration.
How about when they are reconfigured to a Q400? That has happened to me.

James
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I spent a similar amount of time trying to use up my last 2 GGUs that expire 12/31/18. It's sad to note that I finally used them on a PDX-SEA flight I had already booked for December. I couldn't even use them on SEA-RNO in January much less any longer flights we're contemplating in the new year.

My husband still has some left that expire this year. If we find no use for them I'll post them on Coupon Connection before they die.
Update:

They finally did open up some U space on SEA-RNO in January on the E75s. We were able to use the last of my husband's GGUs to put our butts in F. My tall husband really likes the F seats on that plane.

So a bit of good news for us.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Did a spin on EF today looking at U space on my upcoming flights. Surprisingly a transcon (SEA-BWI) had U space, as did SEA-ICT-SEA which often has space. Nothing on my SEA-MSY itinerary.

Now of course I'm in G or T on those that are open, so can't use GGUs on them (and of course the routes that I'm in a GGU-eligible fare on don't have space) but there are at least some here and there. Enough to keep me on the hook, which I guess is the whole point!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:47 pm

I saw space for a flight next spring between BWI and San Diego. Must be s system error.
Manoa Chris likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
in anticipation of having a SEA<—>LAX work trip schwacked, and needing ~2000 miles to make sure of hitting 75K, I found U on both flights for a same-day SEA<—>SAN turn in mid Dec
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman
Did a spin on EF today looking at U space on my upcoming flights. Surprisingly a transcon (SEA-BWI) had U space, as did SEA-ICT-SEA which often has space. Nothing on my SEA-MSY itinerary.

Now of course I'm in G or T on those that are open, so can't use GGUs on them (and of course the routes that I'm in a GGU-eligible fare on don't have space) but there are at least some here and there. Enough to keep me on the hook, which I guess is the whole point!
Call and upfare your flights to K and apply your GGUs. You can run a quick Matrix check to see the price differential before calling. Put in your orgin, destination, as+ and f bc=k in the controls. That will give you the fare for a K bucket ticket. "bc" is booking class, you can use any letter as appropriate. No GGU? If you are MVPG you can check f bc=m for the price of the lowest eligible revenue fare to upgrade to F. For MVP it would be f bc=s and f bc=h for 75K. All eligible fares m and above also have a COS bonus, M&B 25%, S&Y 50%.

That is the lowest fare eligible for immediate upgrade with a GGU. According to the information that AS has provided me, upfaring for the application of an upgrade instrument will not trigger a change fee if you don't have a waiver.

James
jjmadison and RaginPlainsman like this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Nov 4, 2018 at 11:37 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:46 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
U space opened up for ZLO in Feb. We have been watching for this and it finally happened. Very pleased.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I found a blue F from BWI to SEA on a Friday. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket today.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I decided to complain about lack of U space and asked for extension on the MVPG upgrade certs so i can try later when RM gets its act together. Of course shot down.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
I found a blue F from BWI to SEA on a Friday. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket today.
That is F(in) Bluetiful!

James
lalala and Finkface like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
anyone knows if the situation will change? I'm looking for LAX-DCA, I just can't find any single U space in August. Sad. looks like those upgrade certificates are trash now.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by simonsuo
anyone knows if the situation will change? I'm looking for LAX-DCA, I just can't find any single U space in August. Sad. looks like those upgrade certificates are trash now.
You probably will never see it on that route. It used to be available once in a while but I think pretty much it is now non-existent to DCA from pretty much everywhere.
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
You won't have much/any luck with LAX-DCA
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
You probably will never see it on that route. It used to be available once in a while but I think pretty much it is now non-existent to DCA from pretty much everywhere.
I've had luck out of PDX-DCA with U space. When it worked I relied on an alert from EF, and then upfared to apply the GGU. The LAX-DCA route is on Airbus so the odds are harder until new cabins are installed.

Last edited by williwaw; Apr 23, 2019 at 4:25 pm
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I got U space on SEA-EWR. One GGU later I'm in F. Last year it was A space on SEA-DCA for the tail end of an award. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.