What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?

Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rune87
Finally my flight to EWR showed some U space. Leaves in 9 days. 8 FC seats open. The way things are going it seems like this is going to turn into burn 2019 certs whenever you can and quickly now.
Originally Posted by BOB W
SEA-SMF Oct 16, AS 374, 11 seats still available and no UG's. It's 18 hours from the flight. This is getting ridiculous.
Both of the following flights I cleared at the 75K window on Saturday the 6th and they were fairly full flights at the time. Polar opposite this time

For Saturday, the flight on the left is OAK-SEA, no U space at all though all fare buckets are wide open (3 F seats taken for those who disabled photos).
The flight on the right is the Saturday red-eye SEA-EWR, i'm probably just going to have them take me off the list all together. I won't be staying up for the snack and this is a economy passengers dream flight.

Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Both of the following flights I cleared at the 75K window on Saturday the 6th and they were fairly full flights at the time. Polar opposite this time

For Saturday, the flight on the left is OAK-SEA, no U space at all though all fare buckets are wide open (3 F seats taken for those who disabled photos).
The flight on the right is the Saturday red-eye SEA-EWR, i'm probably just going to have them take me off the list all together. I won't be staying up for the snack and this is a economy passengers dream flight.

I hear 31E is nice
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Another day point....AS #751 PDX-SEA tomorrow...100% empty F cabin (16 seat 737-900) and no U space available....weird.
Checking today on AS #751 . 3 on upgrade list. Only 1 upgraded to F. Other two no upgrades at all, not even to PC.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
In fairness, still seeing a lot of BOS/SFO U space into next year. How that's available, yet close-in flights with no sold F are not is beyond my comprehension.
This is because the equipment changed from A320 to 737 - AS' revenue management forecasting algorithm sees 8 extra seats available and dumps open upgrade inventory, because all the historical data is based on an 8-seat F cabin.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
Checking today on AS #751 . 3 on upgrade list. Only 1 upgraded to F. Other two no upgrades at all, not even to PC.
Weird...I checked earlier today and there probably around 10 on the upgrade list and some listed as upgraded to premium economy.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
This is because the equipment changed from A320 to 737 - AS' revenue management forecasting algorithm sees 8 extra seats available and dumps open upgrade inventory, because all the historical data is based on an 8-seat F cabin.
Sounds like a great way to start early year mileage runs in style.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rune87
Sounds like a great way to start early year mileage runs in style.
I've never seen a GGUable fare that's MR-worthy, apart from OAL fares which allow AS domestic components. e.g. TK allows AS K inventory to be used on some of it's cheap longhaul fares.

If the goal is to MR purely on Alaska and sit in F, there are probably some P fares that are a better deal once you account for the 75% COS bonus.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I've never seen a GGUable fare that's MR-worthy, apart from OAL fares which allow AS domestic components. e.g. TK allows AS K inventory to be used on some of it's cheap longhaul fares.

If the goal is to MR purely on Alaska and sit in F, there are probably some P fares that are a better deal once you account for the 75% COS bonus.
I'm more referring to the high availability of U. Half the time my runs aren't decided until within 5 days, so being a 75k and seeing U still available is a good sign.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
SEA-DCA is one of my regular routes. U space is never available (in my experience) on these flights, never ever ever...ever. The upgrade list is always between 30 and 70 deep. It's very popular with frequent fliers. The number cleared from the list is almost always zero or one, sometimes two on the odd day. They just have no need to ever make this a freebie upgrade. I've seen members of Congress riding middle seats on these flights. I'm not saying with certainty it'll never happen, but I've never seen it.
Yeah, the DCA flights were that way a decade ago when I flew the route regularly. I don't expect U space when there is a heavy paid-F load, nor do I expect availability to last when there are lots of elites waiting to pounce on them.

What has seemed to change in the last month is how Alaska approaches U availability on routes with little paid F and few elites. My last three transcons have seen F filled with paid upgrades, and zero elite upgrades, so not sure what they are thinking.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
Yeah, the DCA flights were that way a decade ago when I flew the route regularly. I don't expect U space when there is a heavy paid-F load, nor do I expect availability to last when there are lots of elites waiting to pounce on them.

What has seemed to change in the last month is how Alaska approaches U availability on routes with little paid F and few elites. My last three transcons have seen F filled with paid upgrades, and zero elite upgrades, so not sure what they are thinking.
They are flying in the face of what they have always told elites would be a perk. It stinks. We honestly picked a GREAT year not to requalify for Gold. Didn't know it at the time, but couldn't be happier.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Got hit with this on an INTL flight. Flight had about 8 open F, F7 all the way until the 2 hour mark, where they dumped it all. 2 of us, didn't get seated together, and since it was international, it wouldn't let us or the AS Lounge agent reprint a BP (needed passport verification again, even though passports were already verified at checkin, but that was lost with the upgrade).

I get trying to sell the stuff and holding some back, but they seem to have no clue about any of the demand. I've even seen them on another flight have a completely empty cabin and dump the whole thing at the 2 hour mark.

Imagine if they metered it a bit more evenly. AS a 75K, I'm blocking Premium Class seats I will ultimately not sit in. Those are seats that they could have upgraded up into or sold into had they metered out the upgrades a bit more evenly.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
looking to book to MSY on 9/13 - Y fare 633 F fare - closer to 800. Nothing else available and not on GGU fare either.

Something smells fishy.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
Originally Posted by channa
F7 all the way until the 2 hour mark, where they dumped it all. 2 of us, didn't get seated together
This continually happens to me also. I'd think it wouldn't be that hard to get the processor to want to sit two folks on the same reservation together.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Got hit with this on an INTL flight. Flight had about 8 open F, F7 all the way until the 2 hour mark, where they dumped it all. 2 of us, didn't get seated together, and since it was international, it wouldn't let us or the AS Lounge agent reprint a BP (needed passport verification again, even though passports were already verified at checkin, but that was lost with the upgrade).

I get trying to sell the stuff and holding some back, but they seem to have no clue about any of the demand. I've even seen them on another flight have a completely empty cabin and dump the whole thing at the 2 hour mark.

Imagine if they metered it a bit more evenly. AS a 75K, I'm blocking Premium Class seats I will ultimately not sit in. Those are seats that they could have upgraded up into or sold into had they metered out the upgrades a bit more evenly.
This seems to be SOP on the A320 fleet. I have yet to be upgraded earlier than T-2, even with a completely empty cabin. I have also yet to find open U or A space on an A320 flight.

They clearly have no clue how to manage the inventory.
channa likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
This seems to be SOP on the A320 fleet. I have yet to be upgraded earlier than T-2, even with a completely empty cabin. I have also yet to find open U or A space on an A320 flight.

They clearly have no clue how to manage the inventory.
Hopefully once the Airbus fleet goes to 12F, this will normalize. Wasn't U tightened up when the 738/9 F cabins were being reconfigured, or am I misremembering?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.