Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:28 pm

As someone who has accumulated a number of miles with Alaska I feel this is a blatant form of deceptive advertising. Any class action attorneys in the house? Feel free to contact me.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Paid upgrades at check-in require U availability, too. So if your neighbor is getting offers frequently, it's because all elites have cleared and there is still U available or the upgrade processor issue reported elsewhere is still occurring (which is my guess as to why AS is holding back much of the U space and more manually clearing folks within a few hours of departure).
Maybe, maybe not. How are you SURE that at 24 hours, if they haven't sold the F seats at full price, they aren't preferring to sell them (or some of them) at a discount to non-elites rather than upgrade elites for free? If it shows no U space available, you really don't know what they are doing. It happens enough to him that it can't be just luck.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dholt
As someone who has accumulated a number of miles with Alaska I feel this is a blatant form of deceptive advertising. Any class action attorneys in the house? Feel free to contact me.
Sue over what? Nowhere does AS guarantee upgrade space.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:57 pm

I disagree. The program sells the use of miles for upgrades as an option. What they are doing is called "bait and switch". There are literally zero opportunities to purchase what they claim to be selling. In my case I accumulated miles through my business card, only to find out that what they were selling never really ever existed. Very illegal in the eyes of the FTC. I'm more than happy to be a lead plaintiff if an attorney out there wants to have a go at holding this airline accountable.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Maybe, maybe not. How are you SURE that at 24 hours, if they haven't sold the F seats at full price, they aren't preferring to sell them (or some of them) at a discount to non-elites rather than upgrade elites for free? If it shows no U space available, you really don't know what they are doing. It happens enough to him that it can't be just luck.
missydarlin has stated otherwise in the past as far as AS policy. Of course, subject to change.

OLCI offers require U space to be open. Once the flight is under airport control, it's possible for the GA (maybe the counter agent, not sure) to sell upgrades (or clear the upgrade list and standbys) without U opening if there are actual F seats available. Again, stated policy in the past is that upgrades are supposed to be cleared first before offering upgrades for sale.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
I can't find any U class on any flight SFO to PVR during low season (before Thanksgiving) or any time during January and February. Guest upgrades are pretty much worthless. Before the merger, Alaska had a nonstop flight and U was pretty easy. Now this route uses only Virgin aircraft with 8 F and sadly, U seems to be a thing of the past.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS gold
I just called Alaska Airlines Customer Care at 800-401-6012 and told them that as a result of the near complete evaporation of "U" or "Dark Blue F" seats where I can use my GGU's out of Anchorage, my wife and I (both of whom are million milers) and many of our MVP Gold friends are simply not booking trips rather than take our chances of traveling in coach. I noted that on a few days a month, when one finds Dark Blue F seats, they tend to be on late afternoon flights that do not connect to anything out of Seattle, and that the chances of finding a corresponding Dark Blue F seat the next day are remote at best. In the rare case when one might get extremely lucky and find upgradeable seats for the outbound flights, the chances of finding seats for an acceptable return date are virtually nil. Customer care listened carefully listened carefully and 10 minutes later sent me an email indicating that my concerns had been passed on to "Corporate Management"

Again, the number is 800-401-6021.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There are literally zero opportunities to purchase what they claim to be selling.
(emphasis added)

I have literally found that to be a false statement within 2 minutes of searching on alaskaair.com. I kept the receipts.

Might want to establish facts like "literally zero" before threatening lawsuits. Because it's a non-zero number. Eight of those nonstop SEA-Bay Area flights on that particular day are eligible for mileage upgrades.

Originally Posted by sjbsf
I can't find any U class on any flight SFO to PVR during low season (before Thanksgiving) or any time during January and February. Guest upgrades are pretty much worthless. Before the merger, Alaska had a nonstop flight and U was pretty easy. Now this route uses only Virgin aircraft with 8 F and sadly, U seems to be a thing of the past.
Well, at some point those planes will be 12F, but yeah, I suspect this is part of the problem; if you're getting a bunch of 8F planes on routes instead of the 16/12F planes you had, whoosh, there goes a lot of U space.
dayone and brizone like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 28, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
I disagree. The program sells the use of miles for upgrades as an option. What they are doing is called "bait and switch". There are literally zero opportunities to purchase what they claim to be selling. In my case I accumulated miles through my business card, only to find out that what they were selling never really ever existed. Very illegal in the eyes of the FTC. I'm more than happy to be a lead plaintiff if an attorney out there wants to have a go at holding this airline accountable.
Pretty sure any and all mention of upgrades / use of miles for them includes a caveat pretty clearly in the fine print that upgrades are subject to U class availability and may not be available on all flights (screenshot below from the page describing First Class upgrades). I'm not an attorney, but if I was, I'd have some serious doubts in taking on a case that's this cut and dry.

While I'd love to always get a complimentary upgrade from my AS status or burn some miles to sit up front on every flight I booked in economy, I understand that it isn't always the case, and if I want to ensure I'm flying First, I buy a First Class ticket or ensure an upgrade is available at time of purchase. If you have a good chunk of miles and want to ensure you're flying First, you could always use them to book an Award in First.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I think we picked a great year to not renew our multi-year Gold - heck, we barely squeaked by with MVP. Next year after we take all our flights (already booked) using the last of our GGUs, it's going to be "who has the best price/miles at the best times", and if it's AS, then "what's the minimum miles we can use".
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:41 pm

AS RM is playing games with me. I'm trying to use a GGU on an upcoming DCA-SEA segment. AS 1 on the date I'm flying is F6 U0, but the evening flight (AS 3) is F7 U5. On 10/8 AS 3 is F3 U3, and on the following day the same flight is F5 U2. If the RM Gods are reading, please open up U space on AS 1 on 10/6 so that I can burn a GGU. Otherwise, I'm likely to get the complimentary upgrade as a 75K on a high fare.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

It's not at all uncommon for different flights on the same route on the same day to have different U availability, independent of the F availability. Think red-eyes and 6:00 am departures vs. afternoon and early evening flights.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Robert
AS RM is playing games with me. I'm trying to use a GGU on an upcoming DCA-SEA segment. AS 1 on the date I'm flying is F6 U0, but the evening flight (AS 3) is F7 U5. On 10/8 AS 3 is F3 U3, and on the following day the same flight is F5 U2. If the RM Gods are reading, please open up U space on AS 1 on 10/6 so that I can burn a GGU. Otherwise, I'm likely to get the complimentary upgrade as a 75K on a high fare.
AS 1 is a high-demand flight, even on Sat mornings; RM would much rather get $$ for those F seats than give them away for the price of a (somewhat) discounted coach ticket ... I don’t like it, you may not like it, but they are moving very quickly to the paradigm that Delta FTers call WFBF (“Want First, Buy First”)
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
AS U availability is much better the UA R availability...so I wouldn't be complaining too much. I frequently see U open on transcon routes on off-peak times. The fare-class restrictions hurt, though
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: aadvantage
no first class upgrades for next July SEA-BOS

I had an AS res agent look for any upgradable seats in July 2019 - 9+ months. the agent could not find a single one on ANY flight. Given that this was a major motivation to get MVP Gold, I am done with AS. I wrote to customer service and am awaiting a reply. Totally worthless. I suggest we all call res and have them go through the same exercise - having their agents waste time rather us that have thought had something of value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.