Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Transcon Refueling Issues/Technical Stops

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat

To bring up a thread that was closed earlier this year:
Why is Alaska Flying Planes That Can't Make it Cross-country on a Windy Day?

Last night on AS1357, because of weather, headwinds, and the limited range of the VX A320s, before we departed BOS, it was announced we would have to stop in SLC to refuel. That would not be the end of the world, except operationally there were delays that I perceive were due to poor airline operations. We sat on the ground in Boston for an hour to wait for paperwork to account for the new flight plan. To me it seems like AS should have known of the weather issues in advance and should have been more proactive to get paperwork in place before the scheduled departure time. Even worse, we sat on the ground in SLC for 70 minutes waiting for paperwork. Four hours had elapsed between our departure in BOS and our arrival in SLC, and it seems like the paperwork should have been ready when we arrived in SLC. Thus, we arrived in SFO 2.5 hours late. If AS had put a VX A321 on this route, this would not have been an issue.

This diversion was a lesson learned. I booked the flight out of loyalty to AS. Given I was in paid F, I should have gone with DL, B6, or UA and enjoyed an on-time arrival (they use planes with longer ranges than a non-sharklet A320), a lie flat seat, my choice of a meal (I never get my meal choice on this route on AS).
BobNed, jjmadison and kevincrumbs like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If AS had moved SFO to 737 like they did for LAX, it wouldn't have been an issue.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:04 pm

It looks like you guys flew way north (skirting into Canada) to avoid flying through some severe thunderstorms in the upper Midwest. I get being frustrated, but weather issues are often dynamic, and blaming the airline is a bit short-sighted. Perhaps a more southerly route was planned but as the thunderstorms intensified and they received reports from other aircraft, it was decided to completely avoid the area, rather than merely adjust elevation? Also, you don’t appear to have been all that late leaving Boston; flightaware only shows about 25 min delay off the gate in 9/20.

Also true that diversion due to refueling would be a non-issue on a 737 or probably A319 or A321...
i hope by this winter the A320s will be mostly gone from transcons...
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There really was violent weather Thursday late afternoon and early evening in the upper Midwest. Some places got six or eight inches of rain in a couple hours, there were confirmed tornadoes, and lots of buildings and farms were damaged.
AS737 and C17PSGR like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: Let's try to keep this new thread informational. The range limitations of the A320 have been well-documented. We know the cause, so let's focus on the effects.

dayone, AS Moderator
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by car94102
This diversion was a lesson learned. I booked the flight out of loyalty to AS. Given I was in paid F, I should have gone with DL, B6, or UA and enjoyed an on-time arrival (they use planes with longer ranges than a non-sharklet A320), a lie flat seat, my choice of a meal (I never get my meal choice on this route on AS).
Loyalty is a tough thing. Since AS seems to be flying planes that can't always make it when there's weather/windy then I'd definitely let that factor into your thinking next time you book this flight. If I was in paid F, and had a chance to have a lie-flat seat that would be the deciding factor to me over a possible late flight/diversion.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:43 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Don't be so sure. Jetblue is well-known for winter / high wind diversions or technical stops in the midwest because their A320s / A321s are also at the outer envelope of performance in those conditions. Just like AS / VX. Until any of them get the A320neo. As with UA's 757s westbound across the Atlantic in winter, you may be disappointed if you adopt a categorical approach to believing any one carrier is better at this than another.

Last edited by TA; Nov 24, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's complaint is that he chose to fly a carrier with an aircraft which does not meet his personal operational needs, when there are, as he points out, multiple alternatives.

Putting aside yesterday's particularly poor weather, it does not take much to push the aircraft into planned diversion territory.

My only thought is that knowing that AS operates an aircraft on the margins of its capability and that there are alternatives, why not book one of those?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by TA
Good try, but if it had been an A321, you would have needed a fuel stop even more. A321s are essentially the same plane as A320, but stretched with 30 more seats, more weight, and the same engines and fuel load.
Alaska flies the A321NEO which have increased range over the original A321 or conventional A320 for that matter. So these aircraft are actually well suited to transcontinental routes.
AS737, jjmadison and DrAlex like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
But, are used on higher PRASM-routes (one presumes). Perhaps the better way to put this question is, "if AS reassigns an aircraft to this frequency, from which frequency should it take the aircraft?"
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd

Alaska flies the A321NEO which have increased range over the original A321 or conventional A320 for that matter. So these aircraft are actually well suited to transcontinental routes.
...and B6 Mint configured A321s also have no problem on trans cons which is one of many reasons to use then on longer routes. Thus the OP was severely misinformed about the capabilities of the AS/B6 A321s.
AS737, milypan and jinglish like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by TA
Good try, but if it had been an A321, you would have needed a fuel stop even more. A321s are essentially the same plane as A320, but stretched with 30 more seats, more weight, and the same engines and fuel load.
A320ceo has a 78t MTOW. A321ceo has a 93.5t MTOW. The 30 extra pax will not weigh 0.5t each.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd

Alaska has no A321, only a few A321neo. I see that Alaska has pulled A320's from the SEA-JFK in favor of 737's only. They say they are moving to have the A319/A320 on north-south routes on the West Coast. Maybe pay attention to the plane when booking?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by milypan
A320ceo has a 78t MTOW. A321ceo has a 93.5t MTOW. The 30 extra pax will not weigh 0.5t each.
No, I suspect it has something to do with the extra 7m (23ft) of aircraft that accounts for some of that extra weight.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by CZBB
No, I suspect it has something to do with the extra 7m (23ft) of aircraft that accounts for some of that extra weight.
Sure, if you want to get into the details it’s got 6t extra empty weight, and about 3t extra passengers. That still gives it 6t extra fuel when weight limited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.