Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade List Priority

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade List Priority

Hi All -

Sorry if this is in a thread somewhere and I missed it. Does the upgrade list in the app show the order that we will clear for upgrades?

There have been times where someone below me clears and others when I’m above someone and they get a premium seat and move above me.

Im MVP Gold so I shouldn’t generally be towards the bottom of the list, although I know there are other golds and 75k.

I’ve spoken to agents who will tell me there are 8 people ahead of me on the list and I’m #4 of 12 of the standby list. Seems very odd, was wondering if there is a reliable way to see where I am on the upgrade list.

Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
The upgrade list you see in the app only show those that have checked in. If someone higher on the list checks in after you, you will move down the list.

There are also a few glitches. If U opens before the upgrade processor runs again it is possible for someone lower on the list to call-in and snag the U space. Additionally, if you check-in again, I believe you can snag it that way too but not certain of the specifics. Perhaps others can contribute their experiences. I usually buy eligible fares with U available for instant upgrades.

James
missamo80 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Also, companions with lower (or no) status aren't always waitlisted adjacent to one another. So if #1 is 75K and #29 is an MVP traveling as #1 's companion and two upgrades become available at the gate, the GA would clear both #1 and #29 .
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
There are also a few glitches. If U opens before the upgrade processor runs again it is possible for someone lower on the list to call-in and snag the U space. Additionally, if you check-in again, I believe you can snag it that way too but not certain of the specifics. Perhaps others can contribute their experiences. I usually buy eligible fares with U available for instant upgrades.
I recently had a couple of pmVX flights where U opened 1-2 hours before departure (per ExpertFlyer) and I wasn't automatically upgraded. On the first, I wasn't offered an upgrade when I checked-in again about t-1, but I was able to snag the last upgrade at the gate. The GAs had sold the other two upgrades while I was in line. On the second, I was offered the upgrade when I checked-in again. Both were complimentary. I was #1 on the upgrade list in the app for the first flight and #2 for the second. I think there were 3 & 4 upgrades available for each flight respectively. As far as I could tell no one else on the first flight's upgrade list was upgraded to F. On the second flight, the first name on the list disappeared at some point after mine did and no one else appeared to receive an upgrade to F.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by flymonthly
I recently had a couple of pmVX flights where U opened 1-2 hours before departure (per ExpertFlyer) and I wasn't automatically upgraded. On the first, I wasn't offered an upgrade when I checked-in again about t-1, but I was able to snag the last upgrade at the gate. The GAs had sold the other two upgrades while I was in line.
Please give feedback to Alaska Listens. GA shouldn't be selling upgrades before clearing the waitlist, but it's still happening.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Is AS still refunding the upgrade fee in this situation where they are selling upgrades out from under elites and you choose to pay?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Please give feedback to Alaska Listens. GA shouldn't be selling upgrades before clearing the waitlist, but it's still happening.
Already submitted. I asked for a response, but don't really expect to hear anything worthwhile.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by rustykettel
when I have questioned a GA on this, the response was they have been directed to do so. AS will continue to gain revenue where they can, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.