Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First class fares

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:14 am
Original Poster

First class fares

Is there any rhyme or reason as to how Alaska price their 1st class fares and release their lower fares?

Specifically looking for fares LAS to SFO mid November, which have not budged from $550+ one-way for months
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There are round-trip F fares as low as $307 on AS in November. There are one-way F fares as low as $154. Maybe you're traveling around a high demand date (or time).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by rickjt62
Is there any rhyme or reason as to how Alaska price their 1st class fares and release their lower fares?

Specifically looking for fares LAS to SFO mid November, which have not budged from $550+ one-way for months
What is the specific date and how flexible are you?

Bear in mind that with tiny F cabins, all it takes is one family or business group of 4 and that leaves little else.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

As has been discussed in other recent threads, AS's revenue management has been a bit goofy on these ex-VX planes. It's almost as though they're applying a 16F RM strategy to an 8F cabin. With so few seats available in First on these Airbus planes, you're less likely to see as many discount premium cabin fares (although certain routes/times do have more available). It seems that, lately, often only one seat out of eight is being sold as a discount First fare (or is available as advance 'U' space), and the other seven are ridiculously priced. Many of the remaining seats go unsold due to these high fares. In my personal experience, when I flew ORD-LAX recently on an A320, coach was priced at $99, while First was priced at over $1200, with seven seats left in F. No one bought them, and they were all given away as complimentary upgrades two hours before departure. It seems as though it may take AS a while to get the RM just right.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks all - we are restricted to Nov 17, 2018 as it will connect to our VS SFO flight to LHR

Longtime VX flyer here who never failed to bag a First deal, usually flying SFO-LAS and return and was sad to see the demise of VX

Weve secured our SFO-LAS flight for a good price much earlier in the year but the wait for a decent return flight price is swaying me towards United, which I believe to be way inferior. I know it’s only a short flight but comfort is optimum for us, but not $500 worth

Last edited by rickjt62; Sep 19, 2018 at 9:36 am
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks all - we are restricted to Nov 17, 2018 as it will connect to our VS SFO flight to LHR

Longtime VX flyer here who never failed to bag a First deal, usually flying SFO-LAS and return and was sad to see the demise of VX

You're flying the weekend before American Thanksgiving (which is November 22 this year). This is one of the busiest, craziest weekends in flying in the United States, up with the Sunday-Monday AFTER American Thanksgiving and the weekends immediately preceding and following Christmas also being peak travel times. Very high demand because people are flying to celebrate the holidays with family (think bank holiday weekend in the UK and then multiply it) and the ticket prices tend to reflect that. You'll find the airports to be crowded and the lines to be long.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 19, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

There are five United flights on that date, priced from $193-$235 in F.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Given that the flight time is only around an hour coupled with the fact that there is no 100% guarantee the AS flight will be on an airbus, the options are either to wait it out and see if the prices drop or take the much lower fare now on UA.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Weve secured our SFO-LAS flight for a good price much earlier in the year but the wait for a decent return flight price is swaying me towards United, which I believe to be way inferior. I know it’s only a short flight but comfort is optimum for us, but not $500 worth

Whatever you do, on whatever airline, make sure you build in at least 4 hours of connection time. There's always a slight possibility that AS will send you to SJC or OAK on an inclement weather day, or that UA (and everyone else) will have 2+ hour delays, and several cancellations on an inclement weather day, most affected are the short hops.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
[/left]
This is the sort of thing that makes the marketers jump for joy. Even the remote chance that someone would pay $550 rather than $194 for what is roughly the exact same product, is a testament to their power.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Often1
This is the sort of thing that makes the marketers jump for joy. Even the remote chance that someone would pay $550 rather than $194 for what is roughly the exact same product, is a testament to their power.
It isn't quite that simple. If they sell a $194 F seat on LAS/SFO, it means they may not sell a $700 F fare LAS/SFO/HNL (or pick a connecting route) if the LAS/SFO is full.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It isn't quite that simple. If they sell a $194 F seat on LAS/SFO, it means they may not sell a $700 F fare LAS/SFO/HNL (or pick a connecting route) if the LAS/SFO is full.
It is just as likely that they don't sell any of the seats.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Has nothing to do with consumer behavior, even if it were the case which it is not (UA sells connections to Asia, Europe and Australia through SFO).

The fact is that OP is complaining about a $550 ticket on AS and asking whether he should wait for the price to drop at the same time that he could purchase the roughly equivalent product on UA for $194.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Whatever you do, on whatever airline, make sure you build in at least 4 hours of connection time. There's always a slight possibility that AS will send you to SJC or OAK on an inclement weather day, or that UA (and everyone else) will have 2+ hour delays, and several cancellations on an inclement weather day, most affected are the short hops.
On separate tix, connecting to long-haul, agree 4 hour connection at SFO is the bare minimum. Night before would be better.

Originally Posted by Often1
The fact is that OP is complaining about a $550 ticket on AS and asking whether he should wait for the price to drop at the same time that he could purchase the roughly equivalent product on UA for $194.
Meanwhile, the UA fares will rise as inventory sells.

VX F is a nice product, but on a 1 hour flight, it's worth about $50 more than UA, max. I'd buy UA and be done with it.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold

I must have missed those other threads, but I'm seeing some of the same thing on QX jets in Y. It's like they are being optimized as if they were 738's, resulting in higher coach pricing when no or very few seats have been sold).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.