Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by overlord207
How does saver fare seat assignment work if no 'saver' seat is selected at checkout?

I had a friend flying on a saver fare that did not select a seat (no aisle seat available at checkout). When she arrived at the airport she saw that her seat was 7D.
There were names on waitlist for upgrade and there were non-premium seats still open on the plane.

She is not a mileage plan member (no status).

What is the process the system uses to select the seat for saver fares? My understanding is that saver fares are generally placed in rows 28-32 (back).
Do they oversell saver fares even when those rows are all occupied? Does that mean a saver fare will still be sold if the only seats left are in premium?
Occasionally, saver fare seats can be selected at booking; these will all be in the last few rows of the plane. There have been many reports like yours, however, where saver passengers are being put in premium class.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
How does saver fare seat assignment work if no 'saver' seat is selected at checkout?

I had a friend flying on a saver fare that did not select a seat (no aisle seat available at checkout). When she arrived at the airport she saw that her seat was 7D.
There were names on waitlist for upgrade and there were non-premium seats still open on the plane.

She is not a mileage plan member (no status).

What is the process the system uses to select the seat for saver fares? My understanding is that saver fares are generally placed in rows 28-32 (back).
Do they oversell saver fares even when those rows are all occupied? Does that mean a saver fare will still be sold if the only seats left are in premium?
Some of us opt-out of premium class upgrades when we can select exit row at booking - possible that those you saw on the upgrade list were passed over for that reason.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, CX MPCS
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX

Occasionally, saver fare seats can be selected at booking; these will all be in the last few rows of the plane. There have been many reports like yours, however, where saver passengers are being put in premium class.
Interesting. Taking a look at some fares, it seems saver fares are still offered when the "saver fare" seats are already occupied.

Take a look at 6/16 AS31 EWR-SEA at 06:00 - it shows X fare available even though no 'S' seats are left.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Interesting. Taking a look at some fares, it seems saver fares are still offered when the "saver fare" seats are already occupied.

Take a look at 6/16 AS31 EWR-SEA at 06:00 - it shows X fare available even though no 'S' seats are left.
I have seen X fare availability 4 hours before departure on a almost sold out flight. I was watching a HNL-SEA flight and ExpertFlyer was showing F4, D4, P2.....Y2,Z2,X2,N2.

I would suggest not selecting a seat at booking and have it assigned at the gate. From reports, it appears you have a better chance of a seat further forwad or even a premium seat. They need to put the passenger somewhere so if all status passengers all already in Premium, when upgrades are processed, it will Premium seats that are vacated.

It would be interesting to know if the Awaiting Seats list is based on time of booking, if the list is cleared in list order and if so, does status have any play on where you are on the list.

Or, it is just a crapshoot! lol

James
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

They will have a seat assigned at check-in or at the gate. Based on what we have heard, they will most likely end up in a much better seat than those who chose to select the designated saver seats at booking.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Some of us opt-out of premium class upgrades when we can select exit row at booking - possible that those you saw on the upgrade list were passed over for that reason.
I often do that - I don't drink, so a free premium drink isn't any advantage, and I can take or leave the extra snack. Exit rows give you even more leg room and in my completely anecdotal experience, a better chance for an empty middle because they don't generally get autofilled.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I often do that - I don't drink, so a free premium drink isn't any advantage, and I can take or leave the extra snack. Exit rows give you even more leg room and in my completely anecdotal experience, a better chance for an empty middle because they don't generally get autofilled.
I have had bad luck with empty middles in either set of seats, exit row versus premium class. I believe the exit rows are open to anyone once the trip is within 24 hours of departure.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by williwaw
I have had bad luck with empty middles in either set of seats, exit row versus premium class. I believe the exit rows are open to anyone once the trip is within 24 hours of departure.
I've been super lucky for about 5 years on 2 airlines, where a plane can be completely full and I'll have the one empty middle next to me. Sometimes I attribute it to leading a good clean life of rescuing kittens and helping old ladies across the street.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by williwaw
we just don’t want to advertise the fact that “anyone” can select exit row seats at T24 wink 😉
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by pcoll

we just don’t want to advertise the fact that “anyone” can select exit row seats at T24 wink 😉
Hahaha, keep it in the fam. (I also fly routes that are packed, so who knows if I will ever see a middle seat empty...)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
You don't need to opt-out because Alaska opts you out anyway.
Per the website:

Will I be upgraded if I'm sitting in an exit row?

If you have a seat in an exit row when your upgrade window arrives, you will not be moved to Premium Class.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to be clear, buying a ticket in a particular fare class never has anything to do with any particular seat being available. It's all about what inventory is available (which may or may not match up to seats) and what fares are currently valid.

Furthermore, the way that AS has set things up, someone buying the cheapest main cabin fare has the exact same effect on saver availability as someone buying a saver fare (because X currently tracks Y exactly). There is not a fixed number of saver fares available -- saver space is shared with main space.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:43 pm

Interestingly... if you try to book SEA-JNU tonight on AS79, there's a saver fare available for $208... and you can select exit row at booking.

Interesting conundrum for an MVPG... if you're too far down the upgrade list, why wouldn't you refare yourself into Saver for this flight, assuming that $209 is cheaper than your Main Cabin fare? (FWIW, I'm on an R fare)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly... if you try to book SEA-JNU tonight on AS79, there's a saver fare available for $208... and you can select exit row at booking.

Interesting conundrum for an MVPG... if you're too far down the upgrade list, why wouldn't you refare yourself into Saver for this flight, assuming that $209 is cheaper than your Main Cabin fare? (FWIW, I'm on an R fare)
As MVPG I value the flexibility (waived change fees) significantly.

As MVP (not G) though... this might be a good option.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
As MVPG I value the flexibility (waived change fees) significantly.

As MVP (not G) though... this might be a good option.
Me too, but I mentioned being too far down the upgrade list... which means it's within 24hrs, and I'm definitely taking the flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.