Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
With AS status it seems like outside the continental US I'm left high and dry, particularly with airline partners like AA pulling out of their partnership.
False. You can still earn AS elite and redeem miles on non-domestic (US) AA flights.

AS has many unique partners for a non-alliance member. You can qualify for MVP, MVP Gold, and 75K without flying a single AS operated flight, or any US domestic flights for that matter.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
False. You can still earn AS elite and redeem miles on non-domestic (US) AA flights.
Just to be clear, this is per-segment, not end-to-end. So if you flew YOW-DFW-SFO on AA (I have no idea if AA operates YOW-DFW; it's just a hypothetical example) you can credit the YOW-DFW segment to AS, but not the DFW-SFO segment.

Also, the restriction only applies to earning. You can redeem AS miles for domestic AA flights. Although hopefully you can find a better use of 70k miles than SFO-JFK in flagship first on AA
Old May 3, 2019, 12:07 am

Ahh I see it now. Although spending $4K USD to earn elite status seems a bit too much for me. For reference, I spent ~$2000 USD last year to earn Gold status on UA (several K fare TPACs plus a K fare TATL puddle hopper on AC). Also, the fare seems to be only valid for F travel with J fares costing only marginally less than the F ones. Generally speaking, if I'm travelling front of cabin internationally I aim to spend no more than $2K USD roundtrip as I'm a poor grad student

Originally Posted by Repooc17

AS has many unique partners for a non-alliance member. You can qualify for MVP, MVP Gold, and 75K without flying a single AS operated flight, or any US domestic flights for that matter.
Just to clarify I'm referring to using AS elite status outside of AS flights. It's my understanding that top tier AS elite status won't confer you access to the BA lounges whilst travelling economy in LHR nor will it provide you with an extra checked bag when flying CX in Y. That being said, I'm aware that they do have a number of international redemption partners which makes things interesting if redeeming a J award (which would automatically confer similar benefits as elite).

At this point in my life, I can't afford to play free agent and chase as many status levels as possible. It's just getting too much to constantly be comparing fares, hotel rates and loyalty programs to identify the most ideal earning strategy, particularly when I'm not 100% where my flights will be in several months time.

-James
Old May 3, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Just to be clear, this is per-segment, not end-to-end. So if you flew YOW-DFW-SFO on AA (I have no idea if AA operates YOW-DFW; it's just a hypothetical example) you can credit the YOW-DFW segment to AS, but not the DFW-SFO segment.

Also, the restriction only applies to earning. You can redeem AS miles for domestic AA flights. Although hopefully you can find a better use of 70k miles than SFO-JFK in flagship first on AA
I meant to type redeemable (AS) miles

Correct, only international segment of AA operated flights earn elite and redeem(able) AS miles.

At this point in my life, I can't afford to play free agent and chase as many status levels as possible.
And that's fine. The whole point of being a FA is NOT to chase status.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahh I see it now. Although spending $4K USD to earn elite status seems a bit too much for me.
It seems a bit much to me too. The thing that keeps me thinking about it is the redeemable miles earned. It's enough for a J round trip to Asia (or, 108k of the way towards a 140k mile round trip in F). It's almost like two round trips for that price. Not worth it for the eqm, not worth it for the rdm, but for both... it's tempting.

I'm gonna try to resist this but in a moment of weakness I might buy it. I really do want to visit India too.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: Alaska
Angry Alaska Saver Fare Scam

Alaska has introduced a "Saver Fair". If you are an MVP, you forfeit your benefits to choose seats, be on an upgrade wait list, or wade change fees. If you pay "Main Cabin" for $25-$30 or more you get to have your earned benefits back. This is the worst degrading go MVP status I have ever seen. It sucks!
Old May 10, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
You must be new around here. Thats been an established side effect of the new saver fare for months now. AS foesnt hide the fact. Does it suck? Yes. Can it be avoided? Yup..buy a higher fare.
PDXPremier and jinglish like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by jag3777
Alaska has introduced a "Saver Fair". If you are an MVP, you forfeit your benefits to choose seats, be on an upgrade wait list, or wade change fees. If you pay "Main Cabin" for $25-$30 or more you get to have your earned benefits back. This is the worst degrading go MVP status I have ever seen. It sucks!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Please feel free to peruse the litany of threads that have accumulated over the last 6 months where we decry the "elite tax".
jjmadison, JPat and Unionruler like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I've heard this before somewhere....
Old May 11, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Yes. I agree it sucks.
Spiff and Connie In MT like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Saver Fair".
Saver Unfair?
Old May 11, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
So...this is like every other major carrier in the country at this point.

The only bad note I'll drop on the carriers, collectively, is that it can be a real PITA to run an airfare search and direct a service to throw out these fares when looking.

Edit: Ok, WN doesn't do this, but they also don't do seat reservation.
jinglish likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. It is not a scam. The features of the fare are clearly disclosed and the passenger makes a decision as to what he wants, needs, and can afford. It would be a "scam" if none of this is disclosed.
2. AS is late to this game. AA, DL, and UA all offer these fares (with slight variations) as to pretty much all carriers worldwide (again with some variations).

This is a good deal for someone who wants the cheapest ticket and does not care about all the non-essential features. You get a seat from A to B and that is it. If you want more, you pay more.

Or you could jump ship to some other carrier and get the same thing. Or fly WN and wait a long time for an upgrade.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
​​​​​​The only thing you “lose” is getting an upgrade (but apparently some elites have been moved to premium). Still get your miles, still get early boarding, still get your free drink (if you are at a certain elite level).
Old May 11, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
​​​​​​The only thing you “lose” is getting an upgrade (but apparently some elites have been moved to premium). Still get your miles, still get early boarding, still get your free drink (if you are at a certain elite level).
You also lose the ability to change/refund your ticket in any way. Important if you want to do same day change.
jjmadison and missamo80 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.