Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We cant guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Man, <48 hours out, AS really lets Saver fares have any pick of their seat.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Man, <48 hours out, AS really lets Saver fares have any pick of their seat.
That is an interesting map... 18A, but not B or C; 9C, but not A or B. And, I think @CDKing is on that flight in 30A (they must have blocked out B and C from the riff-raff)!

Three guesses on routing: SFO-PHL, SFO-BNA, SFO-RDU.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by DrAlex
That is an interesting map... 18A, but not B or C; 9C, but not A or B. And, I think @CDKing is on that flight in 30A (they must have blocked out B and C from the riff-raff)!

Three guesses on routing: SFO-PHL, SFO-BNA, SFO-RDU.
SFO-JFK tomorrow, AS1024
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
SFO-JFK tomorrow, AS1024
WOW , that's a light load to JFK...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by DrAlex
WOW , that's a light load to JFK...
It sure is... although I got the 'full flight, check your carry-on for free' message when checking in, so maybe there were more saver fares than seats available when pax booked? Or just bad IT
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
It sure is... although I got the 'full flight, check your carry-on for free' message when checking in, so maybe there were more saver fares than seats available when pax booked? Or just bad IT
Now that you're on board, how full is the flight?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:03 pm

Half empty, so I think that check your carry-on for free message is completely off base :P
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Half empty, so I think that check your carry-on for free message is completely off base :P
I've noticed this on my last two flights as well. 30-50% empty flight yet website offered a free checked bag at check-in.

This just means more non-elites will get to avoid paying for checked bags. Yet another example of AS's under-investment in their tech costing them revenue.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by jjmadison
I've noticed this on my last two flights as well. 30-50% empty flight yet website offered a free checked bag at check-in.

This just means more non-elites will get to avoid paying for checked bags. Yet another example of AS's under-investment in their tech costing them revenue.
There could also be operational considerations here. If there are less carry-on's there can be quicker boardings and deplaning. It could be a function of trying to put more slack in the network when there are challenges for maintaining on-time performance.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by williwaw
There could also be operational considerations here. If there are less carry-on's there can be quicker boardings and deplaning. It could be a function of trying to put more slack in the network when there are challenges for maintaining on-time performance.
Possible. Still costing them revenue (even if it's a small per flight amount).
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Just tried booking through Concur at work.. there's no warning about these fares, and there's no way to exclude them. Going to be awful trying to fly for work in 2019 with these fares.
Well, work added this restriction finally in Concur, thankfully!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Has anyone found a consistently successful way to exclude X fares on either alaskaair.com or on GF? I've tried searching via ITA, though it often seems to price higher than what the same fares show once I click through to the AS website. Trying to head to a wedding in ANC and have very little experience with X fares since I'm usually booking direct for conferences/work and don't have to worry (too much) about costs.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't exclude fare classes on GF. They don't even tell you the fare class of their results.

On ITA it's straightforward. I'm not sure about the higher prices you are seeing. It's usually accurate.

On alaska you can't exclude them from the schedule view, but they show up in a different column. On the calendar view you can choose whether you want to see main or saver (or first)
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You can't exclude fare classes on GF. They don't even tell you the fare class of their results.

On ITA it's straightforward. I'm not sure about the higher prices you are seeing. It's usually accurate.

On alaska you can't exclude them from the schedule view, but they show up in a different column. On the calendar view you can choose whether you want to see main or saver (or first)
Thanks - I feared as much. Knew fare class filter doesn't exist on GF but sadly they don't code X as BE. I'll take another look at ITA!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by icelandman2
Has anyone found a consistently successful way to exclude X fares on either alaskaair.com or on GF? I've tried searching via ITA, though it often seems to price higher than what the same fares show once I click through to the AS website. Trying to head to a wedding in ANC and have very little experience with X fares since I'm usually booking direct for conferences/work and don't have to worry (too much) about costs.
When I search as a 75k I do not see the saver fares at all. Try searching as one of the elite fares
CalanMan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.