Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Again though, has anyone tried this with Saver (X) fares? There is a big difference between being willing to, and being able to, change your seating for you.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Again though, has anyone tried this with Saver (X) fares? There is a big difference between being willing to, and being able to, change your seating for you.
Given their duties, it would make zero sense for AS to restrict GAs from manually assigning seats to any passengers.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Who wants to be the first to give it a try?

James
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:50 pm

Booked AS X class. They allow you to choose seat (but only 10 seats at the last 3 rows on Airbus series), still have windows and aisles available. On the seat selection page, you can choose other seat by changing your booking to higher class (means $50 more one-way). After you choose the seat, you go to the payment page.

Way better than other airlines "Basic Economy"
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$50 difference one way? Wow. Which route?
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
$50 difference one way? Wow. Which route?
SFO to PSC (via SEA)

Another airline charge $100 more for basic economy (no seat selection) for nonstop from SFO to PSC
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yuenpo
SFO to PSC (via SEA)

Another airline charge $100 more for basic economy (no seat selection) for nonstop from SFO to PSC
Oh, that's because AS is charging by segment. There's a buyup on each segment, probably $25+$25 or $30+$20.

Nonstop is often more expensive.. some people (myself included) will pay a premium for it. This doesn't sound too unusual.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: marriott, delta, alaska
It's not impossible as I found out last weekend. My wife (MVP) and I (MVP Gold) were booked on a flight (from a California airport to PDX) that was only half-full, and I made a pitch to the GA to move up from row 30. He said that it was against the rules--and then handed me new boarding passes in Row 7. (I did mention to him that frequent fliers weren't all big fans of Brad Tllden.) The premium economy was virtually empty (I was the only passenger in Group A for Boarding). I would never have tried this had the plane had its usual load.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was row 7 Premium?

It's one thing for a GA to move you from the back of the plane to a different main cabin seat that is further forward; it's another for them to give you an upgrade to premium.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Was row 7 Premium?

It's one thing for a GA to move you from the back of the plane to a different main cabin seat that is further forward; it's another for them to give you an upgrade to premium.
If he was in row 30 to begin with, than row 7 has to be Premium. Nice score.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:57 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pickles1107
So my family of 5 (2 adults, 5 year old, 3 year old, lap infant) all bought $99 each way saver fares for 3rd week of January. On this particular flight, the saver rows in the back were partially booked so we couldn't select seats together at booking. Should be interesting to see how they handle the seat assignments! This is a route we fly several times per year and the $99 saver fare is equivalent to what we have usually paid on this flight prior to the Saver rollout. And no, I refuse to pay the $240 price hike for the privilege of selecting seats when the saver fare is no less than the historical price for this flight.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Please report back how this works out for you.
That will be quite interesting Pickles. Lol, Alaska might be in....a Pickle, lol.
Originally Posted by osubeavers01

Very interested to hear what Alaska does. Had a friend recently fly one one of the big 3 airlines on their version of a saver fair and they split her, her 3 year old son, and her 6 year old son all up into different middle seats throughout the plane and was told “tough” Luckily she convinced some poor man to give up his aisle seat for a middle seat in the back of the plane so that she could at least sit with the three year old. Kind of unfair to that gentleman though. Guessing that’s why Alaska says the saver option is not recommended for parties of two or more
Tomorrow is our flight. 1 adult and 2 children were booked in same PNR through 3rd party (using ThankYou points). These were assigned at T-24 into Row 15 ABC. 1 adult booked directly with Alaska (MVP) into X, assigned seat 23F at T-24. So far, pleased with how this worked out.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pickles1107
Tomorrow is our flight. 1 adult and 2 children were booked in same PNR through 3rd party (using ThankYou points). These were assigned at T-24 into Row 15 ABC. 1 adult booked directly with Alaska (MVP) into X, assigned seat 23F at T-24. So far, pleased with how this worked out.
Did you link the reservations? I'm guessing not. If so they probably would have seated you all together (or at least tried). If you'd prefer to be all together, the GA will probably try to accommodate you (no guarantees of success of course)

Also, moving to 2+2 instead of 1+3 should be easy (it would require moving someone from a middle to a window or aisle, which most people will gladly accept)
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:49 am

Boy, the availablity of Saver (X) fare seats available sure changes as you get close to departure. Looking at a flight departing tomorrow, almost all the seats except premium are saver. Even the "Elite" seats that I asked to have my partner upgraded to last week is available.

Last edited by tatterdema; Jan 19, 2019 at 9:20 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Boy, the availablity of Saver (X) fare seats available sure changes as you get close to departure. Looking at a flight departing tomorrow, almost all the seats except premium are saver.
that’s obviously going to be extremely route-dependent; also curious about the difference between X and Main Cabin, and the cost to buy a PC seat on a Main Cabin fare
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by jrl767

that’s obviously going to be extremely route-dependent; also curious about the difference between X and Main Cabin, and the cost to buy a PC seat on a Main Cabin fare
I am seeing it mostly on longer flights. SEA-HNL for one has Saver seats in the exit row. The one above is SEA-PVR. I am not seeing it on flights like SEA-LAS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.