Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think you are conflating two things here.

When you buy the ticket, you know, with 100% certaintly, whether you can select a seat. Yes, there is a chance that when your go to buy your ticket, you won't be able to select a seat, but you know this information before you make your purchase. There is no playing the lottery here (unless you are allowed to buy your lottery tickets after the winning numbers have already been announced). Also, this is true for all tickets and has nothing to do with saver.

In fact, the easiest way to end up in this situation is not to buy a saver fare, but to buy a full-fare ticket very close in as a non elite on a very full flight on an elite heavy route (it's likely that at that time, there are no non-elite-eligible seats available to be selected).
I find it quite ironic that I'm explaining a game of chance to someone with your name, but I'm not conflating anything. This whole discussion that began earlier was in regards to the odds of being stuck in a middle seat if you were not able to select one at purchase. If you choose to buy that flight, you're taking a chance (however remote, that's irrelevant) of getting stuck in a middle.

Is that clearer now?

And to your point that this applies to all tickets, you're mistaken as according to AS' website, seats will be assigned at the gate for those pax on Saver tickets that don't have a pre-assigned seat. All other tickets are at T-24, which is a very big difference.

And for clarification, because it seems like you'll need it, I'm referring to elite seats that become available to all (except Saver tickets) at T-24 and you can then move into.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Dec 30, 2018 at 11:11 pm Reason: clarity on T-24
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent

Is that clearer now?

And to your point that this applies to all tickets, you're mistaken as according to AS' website, seats will be assigned at the gate for those pax on Saver tickets that don't have a pre-assigned seat. All other tickets are at T-24, which is a very big difference.
It has always been perfectly clear that there is a chance you will get a middle seat when purchasing a Saver Fare. But let's not forget that Seat Assignments are not guaranteed. Anyone who purchased a Main Fare and selected 6C whether or not they paid the premium fee could just as easily be seated in 22B if the accessible seat is required. Unaccompanied minors & lap infants can also require reassignments.

So, sure, put down your $30 insurance payment but don't kid yourself into thinking you aren't gaming too. Perhaps your odds are better but certainly not guaranteed.

James
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It has always been perfectly clear that there is a chance you will get a middle seat when purchasing a Saver Fare. But let's not forget that Seat Assignments are not guaranteed. Anyone who purchased a Main Fare and selected 6C whether or not they paid the premium fee could just as easily be seated in 22B if the accessible seat is required. Unaccompanied minors & lap infants can also require reassignments.

So, sure, put down your $30 insurance payment but don't kid yourself into thinking you aren't gaming too. Perhaps your odds are better but certainly not guaranteed.

James
I agree with you, but I usually buy P fares, so the insurance payment is even higher. And while the odds are better up there, the same rule applies. It's happened to me before for a FAM.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:25 am

So my family of 5 (2 adults, 5 year old, 3 year old, lap infant) all bought $99 each way saver fares for 3rd week of January. On this particular flight, the saver rows in the back were partially booked so we couldn't select seats together at booking. Should be interesting to see how they handle the seat assignments! This is a route we fly several times per year and the $99 saver fare is equivalent to what we have usually paid on this flight prior to the Saver rollout. And no, I refuse to pay the $240 price hike for the privilege of selecting seats when the saver fare is no less than the historical price for this flight.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by pickles1107
So my family of 5 (2 adults, 5 year old, 3 year old, lap infant) all bought $99 each way saver fares for 3rd week of January. On this particular flight, the saver rows in the back were partially booked so we couldn't select seats together at booking. Should be interesting to see how they handle the seat assignments! This is a route we fly several times per year and the $99 saver fare is equivalent to what we have usually paid on this flight prior to the Saver rollout. And no, I refuse to pay the $240 price hike for the privilege of selecting seats when the saver fare is no less than the historical price for this flight.
Please report back how this works out for you.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: HH Silver
That will be quite interesting Pickles. Lol, Alaska might be in....a Pickle, lol.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tatterdema
That will be quite interesting Pickles. Lol, Alaska might be in....a Pickle, lol.
Not really. There are always few rows in the "saver section" blocked.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Is that clearer now?
It continues to be clear that you are conflating two things (the chance that your flight will have no save seats available to select when you buy, and the chance that you will end up in a middle seat if you end up in such a situation)

And for clarification, because it seems like you'll need it, I'm referring to elite seats that become available to all (except Saver tickets) at T-24 and you can then move into.
There is no difference at all when all those elite-only seats are spoken for at T-24. As I said, the easiest way to get into this situation is to buy into a very full flight on an elite heavy route.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I flew a paltry 20 RTs this year - 80% were transcons and all are non-stops, I believe (short of an extended federal shutdown), my travel will be the same - 1200 extra a year to book a main cabin seat, another 1000 if I want to guarantee 10 GGU on the returns from the east coast. That is is a lot of extra money that I'm giving AS, but in return, I can move my flights when I need to and that is worth about 1000 of those extra dollars. I feel for you all who have to connect and wish to buy main cabin fares, each of these segments are additive, non?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Alaska
Alaska "Saver" fares

Looking at the new Alaska Saver fares and the upgrade cost to Main fares.
I see $49 and $69 fares in Saver. Same flight, Main are an additional $30.
I can see the $30 in a $200+ fare, but pretty steep to charge additional 45%-60% for the Main fare.

Alaska is really alienating their best customers with this pricing scheme on these low fare routes.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by pickles1107
Should be interesting to see how they handle the seat assignments!
Very interested to hear what Alaska does. Had a friend recently fly one one of the big 3 airlines on their version of a saver fair and they split her, her 3 year old son, and her 6 year old son all up into different middle seats throughout the plane and was told “tough” Luckily she convinced some poor man to give up his aisle seat for a middle seat in the back of the plane so that she could at least sit with the three year old. Kind of unfair to that gentleman though. Guessing that’s why Alaska says the saver option is not recommended for parties of two or more
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by JeffBo
Looking at the new Alaska Saver fares and the upgrade cost to Main fares.
I see $49 and $69 fares in Saver. Same flight, Main are an additional $30.
I can see the $30 in a $200+ fare, but pretty steep to charge additional 45%-60% for the Main fare.

Alaska is really alienating their best customers with this pricing scheme on these low fare routes.
I think you misunderstand who the “best” customers are.
jinglish likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I was booking a trip to TPA in February through my corporate TA (GBT). The outbound flight evidently was a saver fare because when I went to select (pin) my seat an alert popped up saying seats are not available for selection on this flight. The return was not a saver fare flight and did allow me to select a seat. So, I did not complete the booking, instead I went to the AS site and booked a OW to TPA using main fare and was able to select a premium seat for free. I went back to the corporate TA site and booked a OW return and selected a premium seat for that flight too. A SEA to TPA flight is too long to risk getting stuck in the back in a random seat for me.

From the FAQs: If seat selection isn’t available during purchase, or if you purchased your Saver fare ticket through a travel agency, you will be assigned a seat when you check in.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by osubeavers01

Very interested to hear what Alaska does. Had a friend recently fly one one of the big 3 airlines on their version of a saver fair and they split her, her 3 year old son, and her 6 year old son all up into different middle seats throughout the plane and was told “tough” Luckily she convinced some poor man to give up his aisle seat for a middle seat in the back of the plane so that she could at least sit with the three year old. Kind of unfair to that gentleman though. Guessing that’s why Alaska says the saver option is not recommended for parties of two or more
So I can see both sides. As a parent, I understand that it's pretty unreasonable to have kids that small (the 3 year old) to sit alone. I have given up my aisle seat to let BE families sit together on Delta. I also get on Delta that it warns you only that "Seats will be assigned at check-in" and does not necessarily make it patently obvious that you may be separated.

But on the other side, I'd argue that you need to know what you are getting into when you buy these fares. It does put me as a disadvantage because I elect to empathize (granted it is my choice and I didn't complain to Delta about it).

At least Alaska puts (though only as a footnote) "Seats unavailable during purchase will be assigned at the gate. This option is not recommended for parties of two or more." Stil, that's probably not obvious enough. However, if there are any kids indicated in the booking, I really they'd (well any airline with BE setup with this random seating method) put a special pop up that says, you have kids in your booking. You may not sit with your kids in the booking, if you understand this hit "I understand I may be separated from my kids and they are ok sitting by themselves" otherwise, go back. That's one thing Spirit does right. It is very explicit with these warnings.
williwaw likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by osubeavers01
Luckily she convinced some poor man to give up his aisle seat for a middle seat in the back of the plane so that she could at least sit with the three year old. Kind of unfair to that gentleman though. Guessing that’s why Alaska says the saver option is not recommended for parties of two or more
So that airline likely pissed off your friend, the helpful other traveler and likely the GA/FAs that have to deal with this more often now (the problem obviously already existed in the past when seats were simply not available anymore at booking time).

I predict some sort of bad incident with Dao-level PR impact at some point when a small child is forced to sit alone.
jjmadison likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.