Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I am still trying to see how this fare will help or hinder me. For my work travel (federally funded or state funded) we have policies in place that prohibit or at least don't require basic economy. BE tends to turn into a reimbursement nightmare as fees get attached by unassuming travelers. So for work I think I am not impacted as I will be Main (normal economy.)

Now on family travel where I have the kids in tow, my elite benefits are already limited. Same day changes and upgrades are not possible with my non-elite kids (come on, pull your weight.) And they are too young for exit row, so I end up in a normal pitch seat usually. With that in mind, I might go saver just because it doesn't matter as much. Back of the plane versus ahead of exit row is a PITA but not a deal breaker. I am pretty sure (tho its on an assumption of good faith) AS doesn't want to spread young kids all over the plane away from parents. But if they do, then we know they hit the big leagues. EDIT: Yeah, they will split us up. So if I want to use saver I need to make sure there is a block of seats together....

Clearly I want to keep it the same as the past, but for me it seems to come down only impacting family travel choices and not business travel. YMMV.

Last edited by williwaw; Nov 26, 2018 at 8:39 am
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by milypan
Ironically, the fact that the AS Saver fare is less restrictive than other BE fares makes it seem more spiteful as an elite. UA BE, for example, seems like a straight-up fare increase — I’d rarely recommend anyone buy that fare. But for a non-elite, the only significant downside of AS Saver is more limited seat selection, and I could easily see recommending someone buy Saver, especially on a < 2 hour flight. As a result the Saver fares appear to be exclusively targeted at getting more revenue from elites. That might be the right business decision, but it certainly feels more personal than the US3 BE fare introductions.
I was going through the same thought process explaining the new fares to a friend who flies regularly OAK/SFO-SEA but not enough to get status. For him, if he doesn't care about middle of the plane or back, it's not really going to be a big difference. The only pain is forced on elites.
jjmadison and jinglish like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
About 1 week ago, I received an email from Tilden, talking about his recent visit to my home base (San Diego), thanking me for my business. As a lowly MVPG, I assume hundreds if not thousands of other San Diegans received the same letter. After reading this thread, I decided to reply to the email, voice some of the concerns included above. Will report back on what if any response is received.
nsx, jjmadison, be_rettSEA and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
The only pain is forced on elites.
You are presuming elites always/mostly buy the lowest fare. I don't think that's the case, particularly for business travelers. Ultimately, AS know the purchase patterns of its elite members and the expectation of major corporate customers. AS may be knowingly forgoing the business from elites that primarily buy the lowest fare.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Since my wife is only MVP, the recent change regarding changes/cancellations/refares outside the 60 day window pretty much killed the cancel/change MVPG benefit for me for most trips anyway. No longer considering speculative bookings or early lock-ins on AS.

And if my wife found out that a saver fare would keep her out of 1A (I try to get 1B for my legs), she would probably be very happy, so I am keeping quiet about that

I think I have made up my mind. In 2019 I will burn down our significant MP balances while having MVPG/MVP status. All revenue travel will shift to free agent model. AS elite status (beyond BofA card benefits - we have three among us) is no longer a goal.
I still don't really get killing the 60+ day cancellation policy. The refund was in the form of "My wallet" funds, not a refund to your original form of payment. So you were locking in money with Alaska when you did a speculative booking (money which could expire and go right into their coffers if you weren't a frequent Alaska flyer who'd make use of the money one way or another), whereas the change is going to make people more reluctant to lock in money with Alaska and therefore more likely to wind up spending money with another airline. It sure seems to me that it's in Alaska's interests to give you an incentive to lock in money with them...
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by fly18725
You are presuming elites always/mostly buy the lowest fare. I don't think that's the case, particularly for business travelers. Ultimately, AS know the purchase patterns of its elite members and the expectation of major corporate customers. AS may be knowingly forgoing the business from elites that primarily buy the lowest fare.
It makes me thankful to be done with my three year PDX-OAK/SFO commute (on my own dime). Every previous cyber Monday I could fill up my winter flight schedule with $49 full benefit flights. Those would be $89 now.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Whelp, I have not been paying attention to this Saver X fare development, and the unintended consequences just hit me; I booked travel through my corporate online tool, and when I went to add it to My Trips, I saw the lack of seat selection available. This is ludicrous for an MVPG. I have no way of changing the fare to regular coach when I book.

I'm cancelling my reservation and letting Alaska know
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:40 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
It makes me thankful to be done with my three year PDX-OAK/SFO commute (on my own dime). Every previous cyber Monday I could fill up my winter flight schedule with $49 full benefit flights. Those would be $89 now.
I've been commuting weekly on my own dime for many years on Southwest. I buy the lowest fares by the dozen and change them quite often. I'd like to believe that my business is important to Southwest. They have given me no reason to doubt that. This year I gave some of my low fare business to Alaska. Now they've made it clear they don't want my kind of customer. A $30 premium on every $50 flight is too high a price to pay for the changeability that Southwest gives me for free.

Alaska's management acts as if one mistake, overpaying for VX, requires another, driving away frequent low-fare customers.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by nsx
I've been commuting weekly on my own dime for many years on Southwest. I buy the lowest fares by the dozen and change them quite often. I'd like to believe that my business is important to Southwest. They have given me no reason to doubt that. This year I gave some of my low fare business to Alaska. Now they've made it clear they don't want my kind of customer. A $30 premium on every $50 flight is too high a price to pay for the changeability that Southwest gives me for free.

Alaska's management acts as if one mistake, overpaying for VX, requires another, driving away frequent low-fare customers.
I'm trying to convince my TH (who also commutes every other week ) to try SW for the same reasons. She's still not convinced, but may one day humor me.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You are presuming elites always/mostly buy the lowest fare. I don't think that's the case, particularly for business travelers. Ultimately, AS know the purchase patterns of its elite members and the expectation of major corporate customers.
We've seen a lot of posts on the AA and UA forums the last few years from travelers whose corporate travel portals won't let them buy those basic economy fares because of the restrictive rules as to flight changes and refundability. Can't imagine it's going to be any different with Alaska.

On a separate topic, noticed on the Monday cyber fares that OAK/SFO-KOA is $45 extra one-way/$90RT for the "main fare deal". So much for my thinking they'd cap the advance purchase fare difference with full elite benefits at $60RT.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I still don't really get killing the 60+ day cancellation policy. The refund was in the form of "My wallet" funds, not a refund to your original form of payment. So you were locking in money with Alaska when you did a speculative booking (money which could expire and go right into their coffers if you weren't a frequent Alaska flyer who'd make use of the money one way or another), whereas the change is going to make people more reluctant to lock in money with Alaska and therefore more likely to wind up spending money with another airline. It sure seems to me that it's in Alaska's interests to give you an incentive to lock in money with them...
You are not alone and I pretty much sent the same arguments to AS when they made those changes.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
This is very logical and well written. I would suggest sending it (verbatim) to customer care and copying some executives.

Contact information for execs of several airlines (including AS) is available at elliott.org: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/alaska-airlines
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Just tried booking through Concur at work.. there's no warning about these fares, and there's no way to exclude them. Going to be awful trying to fly for work in 2019 with these fares.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This is very logical and well written. I would suggest sending it (verbatim) to customer care and copying some executives.

Contact information for execs of several airlines (including AS) is available at elliott.org: https://www.elliott.org/company-cont...laska-airlines
Someone who admits to buying the cheapest fares (and changing them frequently) is unlikely to make much of an impression. It's just basically playing the guilt card (WN loves me, why don't you?). Now if you were someone who bought a mix of cheap advance fares along with pricey last-minute fares, that would far more likely draw attention from AS.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Just tried booking through Concur at work.. there's no warning about these fares, and there's no way to exclude them. Going to be awful trying to fly for work in 2019 with these fares.
I would fully expect most employers to eventually exclude them from display, just as they have done with the other legacy carriers.
bmvaughn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.