Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We cant guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Has it been confirmed no free exit / premium class (or even non-middle) seats for Elites on X?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are non-middle seats but they are all in the back. You can just go through the booking process (don't actually pay) to see them.

On the afore-mentioned HNL flight, rows 28-32 (window, middle, and aisle) are marked as saver.

They premium seat selection is $119 from X, and $99 from main, and the difference between saver and main is $20. So it's the same price as getting main and picking as premium seat... but, you are still bound by all the saver restrictions (it's still an X fare, despite being the same price as booking G and picking the same seat). So, not a good idea.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
There are non-middle seats but they are all in the back. You can just go through the booking process (don't actually pay) to see them.

On the afore-mentioned HNL flight, rows 28-32 (window, middle, and aisle) are marked as saver.

They premium seat selection is $119 from X, and $99 from main, and the difference between saver and main is $20. So it's the same price as getting main and picking as premium seat... but, you are still bound by all the saver restrictions (it's still an X fare, despite being the same price as booking G and picking the same seat). So, not a good idea.
Thanks - this is great to know.

I also noticed saver being sold on SEA-SNA and SEA-ONT; Im sure there are other routes too.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This really isn't that bad for non elites, especially for short flights. You can pick an aisle or window seat. Bring a carry on and volunteer it for gate checking. Or, if you have the credit card, check the bag for free. You end up sitting slightly further back than you otherwise would have, but not that much further, since most of the front seats are premium or elite-only anyway.

Basically it's a $20/flight charge to use your elite benefits.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
The proliferation of the Saver fares happened overnight....i now see them on SFO >> LAX in January. Very tough to see this get rolled out especially since there is a big up-charge now between X and R class.

SFO >> LAX - $30 one-way (49 versus 79)
LAX >> SFO - $30 one-way (75 versus 105)

SFO>>MCI - same $30 add for Main fares.....

SO essentially its $60 add r/t to use your benefits for AS.....WN is matching the saver fare levels in this time with WGA fare class.

So if i cant get into F class....why am i flying AS instead of WN?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:48 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
The proliferation of the Saver fares happened overnight....i now see them on SFO >> LAX in January. Very tough to see this get rolled out especially since there is a big up-charge now between X and R class.

SO essentially its $60 add r/t to use your benefits for AS.....WN is matching the saver fare levels in this time with WGA fare class.

Ouch. I feel like a chump for moving 5 $49 flights from WN to AS this year to earn MVP next year. Now I'll never use it.

Saver fares at the very same price as the non-saver fares I bought a couple months ago are a pricing scam. But even if this move backfires, Alaska will need many months to realize it and reverse course. Management is flailing to recoup some of the money spent overpaying for VX.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond

Somewhat consistent with United on the cheaper fare. A bit annoying that they won't back off on the higher fare though. Regardless, reinforced the plan to switch to WN on short haul. Can't help but wonder in WN will raise their fares to be $5-10 more than basic/saver on these intra-CA flights.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Ouch. I feel like a chump for moving 5 $49 flights from WN to AS this year to earn MVP next year. Now I'll never use it.
Did the same. I view it as an insurance policy in case I need a 2020-21 status match in case the situation gets worse.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
For someone who flies back and forth via BWI 10-20 rts a year to go from a base fare of 129 (knowing that an UG on a Sunday -Thursday is never going to happen) to 159 adds sixty dollars to each ticket, so 600 to 1200 dollars per year. That's not chump change when you are paying out of pocket.

I see that saver fare doesn't apply to some of the IAD flights, they are still at the main cabin for 129. I'm not sure for those commuting anywhere other than Northern Virginia catchment area or rent cars, that is always a practical solution. BWI's not perfect, but if they marc is running, you can get from the plane to union station in an hour and that isn't too bad.

Not sure I want to run into the arms of SW, but somewhat (no very) displeased.

Also, I think the GGU fares are also up about 30 bucks a head. If its available on the westbound leg, I'll still buy as I do detest that journey home.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: HH Silver
How do they decide which cities have saver fares? I guess it is going to change all the time? SEA-PSP for $79 is a pretty good deal that I have not seen in a long time. I notice also that there are saver awards, although I cannot find any that are active. I rarely use the overhead, do not care about same day change, and can deal with whatever seat they assign me, so I think I will be fine with the saver fares. Will see with time I guess.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They said that they plan to roll it out network wide. I don't think any other airline does this
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tatterdema
I notice also that there are saver awards, although I cannot find any that are active.
"Saver fare" may not have been AS's best choice of terminology, because saver awards are not the same thing.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
They said that they plan to roll it out network wide. I don't think any other airline does this
Delta has stated they were taking Basic Economy systemwide but I don't know if they are complete with that.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tatterdema
I rarely use the overhead,
You can bring a carry on. I believe that the only airline that still doesn't let you do that on a basic economy fare is United. You may have to end up gate-checking.

do not care about same day change, and can deal with whatever seat they assign me, so I think I will be fine with the saver fares. Will see with time I guess.
You can pick a seat too, including window or aisle. It has to be near the back of the plane though.

If you don't have status, basic economy is a pretty good deal. Most of the good seats required you to be elite to pick anyway, so you are not losing much.

If you do have status, the benefits that they advertise that you get for "free" now cost you $20-$30 per segment to use. In other words, it's a scam, against their best customers. I'm curious to see how it plays out. It's kind of a big gamble. Once they lose a customer to an airline with a better network and better product, it's hard to see them getting that customer back. The main benefit of AS if their frequent flyer program, and that value is taking a big hit right now.
nsx and tatterdema like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WN is almost certainly the fare driver here (not the other way around) and the legacies are all matching the WGA fares with their Basic Economy fares. It's interesting that the upsell rate to main cabin differs on all three --

AA -- $10 each way
UA -- $13 each way
DL -- $15 each way
AS -- $30 each way

DL fare difference tends to be $30 each way out of established markets like MSP, DTW, ATL, etc. while it is less out of more competitive markets like SEA, LAX, BOS where it is generally $15 each way. On some BOS routes, like BOS-FLL, it doesn't even have BE fares.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.