Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We cant guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Really bad feeling .... as a 75K, if I need to cancel a saver fare, will I get the money back into my wallet?

(please don't say no, please don't say no .... please don't say no)
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Originally Posted by maradori
Really bad feeling .... as a 75K, if I need to cancel a saver fare, will I get the money back into my wallet?

(please don't say no, please don't say no .... please don't say no)

Booking/fare rules

• No changes or refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
NOTE: Other than Elite boarding privileges, all Saver fare rules and restrictions apply to MVP, MVP Gold, and Gold 75K Mileage Plan members.

To quote Mr. Poe Nevermore
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think someone in another thread (or possibly this one?) hit the nail right on the head. If you want to use your status benefits, you will have to pay for that right.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think someone in another thread (or possibly this one?) hit the nail right on the head. If you want to use your status benefits, you will have to pay for that right.
I am starting to regret some purchase decisions I made this year that will lead to renewed MVPG status next year. My last flight of the year will be the first time I fly Delta domestically in many years... and I suspect that I will see more of Delta at SEA next year because I dont think I will bother to aim for AS status again.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I am starting to regret some purchase decisions I made this year that will lead to renewed MVPG status next year. My last flight of the year will be the first time I fly Delta domestically in many years... and I suspect that I will see more of Delta at SEA next year because I dont think I will bother to aim for AS status again.
You probably did the right thing. Once you are far enough, it makes sense to get the status. Even if you won't use it next year, you can status match with someone else.

I'm definitely going to get gold this year. Then I have to decide whether it's AS or match to UA for me next year (based in SFO). With the amount that I fly (barely enough to make gold) it doesn't make sense for me to split my business between two carriers so I have to pick one.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You probably did the right thing. Once you are far enough, it makes sense to get the status. Even if you won't use it next year, you can status match with someone else.

I'm definitely going to get gold this year. Then I have to decide whether it's AS or match to UA for me next year (based in SFO). With the amount that I fly (barely enough to make gold) it doesn't make sense for me to split my business between two carriers so I have to pick one.
And that's what they're going to find out pretty quickly. By not offering Basic fares, they have been the best value in many cases over the past couple years. Now that they'll also be offering Basic fares, there are a lot more choices for a similar product at the same price point. Sure, some will buy up. But others will book elsewhere.
FlyingBear and jinglish like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

As a United MM with guaranteed Gold status I get free E+ on any regular economy ticket. With AS I didnt clear into Premium Class on the many of my flights this year. Fortunately I was able to get an exit row seat on most, but that may now change with the monetization of those seats. Of course, Delta made me pay extra for those economy comfort flights I have coming up. But I have no status with them, so I am not being asked to buy something that I feel I earned.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by channa
And that's what they're going to find out pretty quickly. By not offering Basic fares, they have been the best value in many cases over the past couple years. Now that they'll also be offering Basic fares, there are a lot more choices for a similar product at the same price point. Sure, some will buy up. But others will book elsewhere.
I think the intent is to offer saver fares with slightly better benefits than BE on AA/DL/UA and the ULCCs that everyone is competing with. Why would travelers book elsewhere unless there's a mismatch in fares (e.g. AS saver is the same as DL Y)?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG -> MVP -> now nothing, DL SM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I made the same decision after many years with AS (and I'm Seattle-based). Matched to DL Gold this year; was debating trying to hit at least MVP this year but decided against it. I still prefer AS but those differences have been rapidly disappearing in yet another "race to the bottom" and they have nowhere near the coverage that DL does. I'll miss dealing with the outstanding AS staff but sadly after 20+ years I probably will only be flying with Chester very occasionally. :-(
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly18725
I think the intent is to offer saver fares with slightly better benefits than BE on AA/DL/UA and the ULCCs that everyone is competing with. Why would travelers book elsewhere unless there's a mismatch in fares (e.g. AS saver is the same as DL Y)?
​​​​​​
For SFO flyers, better frequency and route map on WN and UA, and better fare rules on WN. It's not this point alone but the sum of all of the changes that erode the advantages AS had. I, and I suspect others, had to reach a bit to make AS work. The value proposition is not there any more, so the playing field is more level when I select a carrier for a flight.

It is what it is. I suspect they will fill the seats with BE tickets and hope it helps the bottom line, because they do have a good operation and competition is good. But I think for the non-SEA FT crowd, it's time to take a good long look and assess our priorities (time, comfort, convenience, cost, loyalty program) and use what really matters to each individual.

​​​​

Last edited by FlyingBear; Oct 26, 2018 at 12:32 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by flatdawgs
I made the same decision after many years with AS (and I'm Seattle-based). Matched to DL Gold this year; was debating trying to hit at least MVP this year but decided against it. I still prefer AS but those differences have been rapidly disappearing in yet another "race to the bottom" and they have nowhere near the coverage that DL does. I'll miss dealing with the outstanding AS staff but sadly after 20+ years I probably will only be flying with Chester very occasionally. :-(
Ditto.

I'm also a SEA based MVPG, who is seriously considering status matching to DL after next year. I'll still keep my Alaska Signature Visa card, which will give me the free bag for any AS flights I still take. My company prefers us to use DL for business travel anyway.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted. Sigh...
notquiteaff and flatdawgs like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flatdawgs
We (the wife and I) still have 500k AS miles to use up. Plus three companion certs per year between us. So we will still book AS when it is the right choice for us. But the AS bias is vanishing for us.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I've had to pay plenty over the years to acquire and maintain MVPG status. My assumption was always that paying that amount meant I had earned certain benefits the following year regardless of which seat I paid for. This is an uncomfortable and rather depressing change. I will most certainly choose not to pay up to avoid cattle carriage. Almost all of my travel is discretionary. I just won't fly as much.
notquiteaff and flatdawgs like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by Bethelite
I've had to pay plenty over the years to acquire and maintain MVPG status. My assumption was always that paying that amount meant I had earned certain benefits the following year regardless of which seat I paid for. This is an uncomfortable and rather depressing change. I will most certainly choose not to pay up to avoid cattle carriage. Almost all of my travel is discretionary. I just won't fly as much.
But unfortunately, where else are you going to go? Southwest is the last holdout, and their product is quite different. This at least puts Alaska on the same page, fare wise, as the other guys. We've been enjoying this ride for almost 2 years, so time to buckle up and spend a few more dollars per trip or stay home.
Flying for Fun and DrAlex like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bethelite
I will most certainly choose not to pay up to avoid cattle carriage. Almost all of my travel is discretionary. I just won't fly as much.
This has worked out profitably so far for the Big Three, so I'm genuinely curious: what is the nature of your travel that having to pay, say, $50 extra for seat selection and upgrade potential makes the entire trip not worthwhile, even on another carrier?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.