Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by channa
It's not clear if UA got smart, or if UA just uses the same seating algorithm for all tickets. If you have no seat, place in E+ if Premier.
Then using AS's algorithm, I guess MVP Gold 75Ks will be coded to broken middle seat in the back, MVP Golds get non-reclining middle seat, MVPs get random middle seats, and basic members/non members get premium aisle/window seats
Buster, channa, tusphotog and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:54 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That is what one would hope, especially since corporate booking policies are often "lowest fare".
There are lots of companies that, even with "lowest fare" rules, explicitly exclude BE fares or warn employees not to book them. The use-it-or-lose it cancellation policies are not corporate friendly. Which the airlines are fine with, since they just wound up extracting more money from companies for the same flights the companies used to get at the BE price...

Neil
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
This link (a guide to saver fares for travel agents) was posted in an 75K facebook group I follow and describes a lot of the benefits (or lack of) that the saver fares will have:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/saver-fares

It sounds like it won't necessarily be it's own distinct fare class from the description (so you could potentially buy a non-saver R fare or a saver Y fare, for example), but in summary:
  • no same day confirmed changes
  • no same day stand-by
  • no elite upgrades or ability to use miles to upgrade
  • no advance seat selection
  • last boarding group
  • mileage earning remains 1 mile flown = 1 EQM earned
Elites will retain some of their benefits including:
  • seat selection (though keep in mind premium class counts as an "upgrade", so you may have to pay for the seat you used to get for free - paying for a premium seat is permitted)
  • boarding prioirty
  • baggage allowance (including AS CC holders)
According to the link: Elite guests are assigned a seat at check-in.

That's pretty lame. I really enjoy the flexibility of being Gold, being able to book and change flights at a whim. But really I only "need" that for a few flights a year (bowl games!) so paying for a non-saver isn't huge there. But not being able to pick my seat? And no possibility of upgrade? Yuck.

Why not just make Savers the very very last tier to upgrade? We'd never clear anyway.
I guess, to answer my question, it's so in the odd chance they don't have the usual 20 person upgrade list, they could sell gate upgrades.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by nearlysober
According to the link: Elite guests are assigned a seat at check-in.

That's pretty lame. I really enjoy the flexibility of being Gold, being able to book and change flights at a whim. But really I only "need" that for a few flights a year (bowl games!) so paying for a non-saver isn't huge there. But not being able to pick my seat? And no possibility of upgrade? Yuck.

Why not just make Savers the very very last tier to upgrade? We'd never clear anyway.
I guess, to answer my question, it's so in the odd chance they don't have the usual 20 person upgrade list, they could sell gate upgrades.
My bad - was reading too quickly, but you're right. No seat until check-in for elites makes this even worse than I thought.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
So I guess that Business Insider article from earlier this year (https://www.businessinsider.com/alas...details-2018-4) that said everyone would get free seat assignments was wrong.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
So I guess that Business Insider article from earlier this year (https://www.businessinsider.com/alas...details-2018-4) that said everyone would get free seat assignments was wrong.
This is from the ALK investor presentation from Q3, page 35. Ooopsie, guess they were wrong about that first check mark. Gotta make that $100 million somehow...

Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
This is from the ALK investor presentation from Q3, page 35. Ooopsie, guess they were wrong about that first check mark. Gotta make that $100 million somehow...
I guess they meant a seat would be assigned TO you--whether you like it or not.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I really wish I was wrong
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Can AS implement this on its own website?

Inhibiting Saver fares

• If you do not wish to sell Saver fares, you can inhibit their display on GDS’s and OBT booking tools. Contact your GDS or OBT Help Desk for detailed instructions on how to inhibit Saver fares.
  • If you do not inhibit Saver fares, they will be displayed as the lowest-priced available fare in the markets in which they are filed.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
Based on what we've seen with their IT systems recently? My guess is probably not.
Tracer_SEA likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
If AS matches WN lowest fares with these fares I basically have very little incentive to not book WN; it’s not like I get F or changes or standby anyway for being a Gold. Essentially I get to pay a surcharge for the Gold benefits I want to use.
Well you’re still getting EQMs, right? Not saying it’s worth it, but at least that’s better than BE fares on most competitors.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Well... if the point of basic economy is to be able to up-sell standard amenities and services then I imagine there will be a way to select a "main fare" ticket fairly easily.

I could picture it as an extra "column". So maybe the default search results will have a column for "Basic", "Main" or "First".

Although, that could get "busy" when you select the MVP filters and there'd be five columns. But I'd prefer that to a toggle to that prevents basic fares from being returned in the results. Would be nice to be able to price them out side by side to see how much I have to pay to retain my elite benefits.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
Well... if the point of basic economy is to be able to up-sell standard amenities and services then I imagine there will be a way to select a "main fare" ticket fairly easily.

I could picture it as an extra "column". So maybe the default search results will have a column for "Basic", "Main" or "First".

Although, that could get "busy" when you select the MVP filters and there'd be five columns. But I'd prefer that to a toggle to that prevents basic fares from being returned in the results. Would be nice to be able to price them out side by side to see how much I have to pay to retain my elite benefits.
Im sure they'll have radio buttons.

I was hoping for AS to just not sell these fares. Ie, they inhibit themselves from selling.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
II was hoping for AS to just not sell these fares. Ie, they inhibit themselves from selling.
Yeah, that's not happening. Can't upsell you to a higher fare and having you buy back your elite benefits without showing the lower fare (with the obligatory warnings).
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
I would like to remind AS that they are still in a market share fight with Southwest Airlines....AS thinks they can extract 100MM out of customers, but as we have seen with all of the other majors *cough* United; they have grossly overestimated BE fares. They have proven that they actually lose money on their introduction by customers booking away from the airline. The same will happen here as they are in saturated markets with WN here on the west coast. It will get even worse with Hawaii services starting soon (rumour is in the coming weeks or month).

I will admit, i am only an AS MP elite due to VX acquisition and have flown AS a lot this year to requalify for MVP gold to really give them an honest shot....but I am also an A-List Preferred / Companion Pass holder. I am absolutely in love with WN...flexible, cheap, fun and rewarding. Sure it has its quirks, but probably the most customer friendly carrier in the USA right now. It was comforting to see WN management stand up to the financial analysts when they were trying WN to charge for bags, change fees, etc. AS should have been true to their name...blaze their own path to the Last Frontier of good customer service. It will be an interesting 2019 for my loyalty.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.