FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1931311-details-discussion-saver-basic-economy-x-fares.html)

be_rettSEA Oct 22, 18 9:03 am


Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton (Post 30342811)
Gross. Interesting read on the link you provided. Since saver fares need dual availability, I wonder if we'll see 'saver' as an option for all coach fares, or if AS will stop offering it once fares get pricey.

I'm surprised to see mileage-earning unchanged, but I won't be buying these fares based on the draconian restrictions for elites.

For me, I guess it will depend on the route and pricing difference. If it's a single-route/day transcon where I know I'm not going to get upgraded anyway, and it's a significant price difference, I might be willing to go the saver level. But more than likely, I'll be paying a little more to fly with the flexibility of changes/cancellations and the shot of an upgrade.

sfozrhfco Oct 22, 18 9:40 am

[QUOTE=be_rettSEA;30342791]This link (a guide to saver fares for travel agents) was posted in an 75K facebook group I follow and describes a lot of the benefits (or lack of) that the saver fares will have:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/saver-fares

It sounds like it won't necessarily be it's own distinct fare class from the description (so you could potentially buy a non-saver R fare or a saver Y fare, for example), but in summary:QUOTE]

Looks like both X class and the actual fare class have to be available to get the saver fare so it will be offered all the way up to Y


  • Booking class: Saver fares are filed in booking class (RBD) “X” and at a range of levels, each one linked with a corresponding fare basis beginning with a Y, S, B, M, H, Q, L, V, K, G, T, R.
  • Dual availability required: Saver fares require dual availability (book “X” but another applicable Main Cabin inventory code must also be available).

eponymous_coward Oct 22, 18 9:49 am

Heh. So basically elites on those fares get RDM bonuses and early boarding, nothing else.

If AS matches WN lowest fares with these fares I basically have very little incentive to not book WN; itís not like I get F or changes or standby anyway for being a Gold. Essentially I get to pay a surcharge for the Gold benefits I want to use.

I guess itís free agency in 2019. I canít see chasing status so I can pay extra to use my status. A lot of my destinations have options (DAL/DFW, LAS, LAX, ORD/DFW, Florida). It was a good run I guess.

Idaho Territory Oct 22, 18 9:55 am

Very interested to see what the price difference comes out to be. Itís now buy your perks.

sfozrhfco Oct 22, 18 10:08 am


Originally Posted by Idaho Territory (Post 30343043)
Very interested to see what the price difference comes out to be. Itís now buy your perks.

Yup, either pay upfront with a higher fare or at the airport. I fail to see how this will help them though with their primary competition in the west being WN.

rustykettel Oct 22, 18 10:10 am

Looked again at the dates beckoa posted with X0 listed, and saver fares (B character in the 7th position) haven't been filed yet.

Tracer_SEA Oct 22, 18 10:12 am

I don't know if AA/DL/UA do that too, but the idea of having to pay a premium on top of a Y or B fare to have elite benefits is pretty crazy...

eponymous_coward Oct 22, 18 10:20 am


Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA (Post 30343120)
I don't know if AA/DL/UA do that too, but the idea of having to pay a premium on top of a Y or B fare to have elite benefits is pretty crazy...

UA was doing it for a while, as I recall. They may have stopped. Can’t imagine why someone would pay $800 or something for a last minute one way and be angry because they are treated like they bought a $29 fare on NK... ;)

pushmyredbutton Oct 22, 18 10:30 am


Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 30343152)


UA was doing it for a while, as I recall. They may have stopped. Canít imagine why someone would pay $800 or something for a last minute one way and be angry because they are treated like they bought a $29 fare on NK... ;)

UA got smart somewhere along the way with seating for elites on Basic Economy fares though. While you still can't select your seat in advance, I'm 100% for being placed in E+ even when E- is empty. I would hope AS does the same by placing eligible members in Premium seats.

eponymous_coward Oct 22, 18 11:10 am


Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton (Post 30343198)
UA got smart somewhere along the way with seating for elites on Basic Economy fares though. While you still can't select your seat in advance, I'm 100% for being placed in E+ even when E- is empty. I would hope AS does the same by placing eligible members in Premium seats.

Premium middle vs. non-Premium aisle or window? Kthxno. And given how wacky AS's upgrade results are on their version of SABRE I don't hold out a lot of hope for "smart" or "consistent".

I would hope AS isn't filing YB or SB fares because that would be very painful: a MVPG75K on a $600 ticket one way bought last minute, skipped over for upgrades for some MVP on a $400 ticket bought in advance. Fun times, and the exact opposite of what you want to encourage in this "we treat you as well as the price you paid for your ticket today" scheme.

jinglish Oct 22, 18 11:57 am

I flew basic economy on DL for the first time the other weekend, and it wasn't awful--I didn't exactly need an F or C+ upgrade on a SEA-SFO trip, and I still got to board with group 1. But I also managed to get a window seat in both directions thanks to DL's mobile app auto-checkin and the ability to set seating preferences in my SkyMiles profile. I'd expect to get stuck in middles a lot on AS, since they have neither.

sfozrhfco Oct 22, 18 12:13 pm


Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 30343152)
UA was doing it for a while, as I recall. They may have stopped.

Yes, UA had a terrible roll out and some $1000+ domestic one ways for last minute travel were coded as basic economy. I imagine people were not happy to find out that the "flexible" fare ticket they thought they were buying was confiscated and electronically shredded if they didn't board on time:) Now once the fares hit a certain level on UA, basic economy is not even given as an option--even when fares within California get up to the $150 range many times basic economy is blocked. It is one thing on a $29 fare from LAX to SFO. That you would expect to have restrictions. If AS gives you say a $25 discount off the full Y fare and gives you "basic economy" treatment, those people will not be happy at all.

eponymous_coward Oct 22, 18 12:24 pm


Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 30343572)
Yes, UA had a terrible roll out and some $1000+ domestic one ways for last minute travel were coded as basic economy. I imagine people were not happy to find out that the "flexible" fare ticket they thought they were buying was confiscated and electronically shredded if they didn't board on time:) Now once the fares hit a certain level on UA, basic economy is not even given as an option--even when fares within California get up to the $150 range many times basic economy is blocked. It is one thing on a $29 fare from LAX to SFO. That you would expect to have restrictions. If AS gives you say a $25 discount off the full Y fare and gives you "basic economy" treatment, those people will not be happy at all.

That is what one would hope, especially since corporate booking policies are often "lowest fare".

obnoxoid Oct 22, 18 2:35 pm


Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA (Post 30343120)
I don't know if AA/DL/UA do that too, but the idea of having to pay a premium on top of a Y or B fare to have elite benefits is pretty crazy...

Agreed--oftentimes, ex-DCA for the flights I take, the lowest fare available is an H fare anyway. If I have to start paying a premium on top of the H fare to be considered for an upgrade, that's really going to bother me.

channa Oct 22, 18 2:54 pm


Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton (Post 30343198)
UA got smart somewhere along the way with seating for elites on Basic Economy fares though. While you still can't select your seat in advance, I'm 100% for being placed in E+ even when E- is empty. I would hope AS does the same by placing eligible members in Premium seats.

It's not clear if UA got smart, or if UA just uses the same seating algorithm for all tickets. If you have no seat, place in E+ if Premier.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:36 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.