Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
If you don't have status, the only other disadvantage is that saver seats are completely non-changeable and non-refundable. Regular fares allow same day change (for a fee) and changes to another date or refunds (for a fee that may exceed the cost of the ticket, depending upon the fare).

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I am looking at a flight ex-SEA (SEA-JFK) in a week (from today) with no only middle seats left to choose from (including premium and exit row seats). No harm in booking saver?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by TProphet
If you don't have status, the only other disadvantage is that saver seats are completely non-changeable and non-refundable. Regular fares allow same day change (for a fee) and changes to another date or refunds (for a fee that may exceed the cost of the ticket, depending upon the fare).
I am firm on date and time - first flight out of SEA, so I can get to the east coast by mid-afternoon. This flight would qualify me for MVPG.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I am firm on date and time - first flight out of SEA, so I can get to the east coast by mid-afternoon. This flight would qualify me for MVPG.
I just looked up this flight and for AS 628 on November 16 it's only $10 more to get a regular Main Cabin fare. It really doesn't seem worth $10 to have any risk at all of getting stuck in a middle seat for a flight of that length, plus foregoing the possibility of so much as getting into Premium on a flight of that length.
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I just looked up this flight and for AS 628 on November 16 it's only $10 more to get a regular Main Cabin fare. It really doesn't seem worth $10 to have any risk at all of getting stuck in a middle seat for a flight of that length, plus foregoing the possibility of so much as getting into Premium on a flight of that length.
Following day - November 17.

Edit: it looks like the timestamp of my other post was November 9; however, I was in a different time zone. Apologies for the day/time confusion. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Repooc17; Nov 11, 2019 at 5:47 pm
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
How does this work... I can ONLY buy a saver fare?

Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
@bmvaughn is this just a OW? Or do you have an X already in this itinerary? I see other options.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
For Unassigned saver reservations, seats are preassigned 25 hours prior to departure and not allowed to further change at check in.
I have an upcoming saver itinerary. In the past, I have been always able to reserve seats for Saver at the time of booking, but it looks like they have reduced the number of rows available for pre-select in the 739 compared to my last trip (I used to be able to select rows 28-34, but now it looks like they have limited it to 30-34).

So, my question is, does Alaska “punish” you the way AA and BA do, auto-assigning a middle seat during OLCI when booking Saver even when aisles or windows are still available? Or will the system still assign you to your preferred seat preference (if available)? Or can I actually choose my seat during OLCI if there are still unallocated non-premium seats?
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw
@bmvaughn is this just a OW? Or do you have an X already in this itinerary? I see other options.
I found the issue... I was accidentally booking a RT with same-day return. System default filters-out any illegal connection for Main/FC, but apparently not for Saver. If you click through, it errors out, so that's good at least
williwaw likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I have my first saver bookings
So do the FA's know you are saver or can you play the pick a random open seat trick using GDS seat map data?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:09 am

I am sort of loathe to use X fares. But my family of 4 is making a run to LA and the savings is 25% off and there are open seats available so I know we can sit with the kids. I am MVPG and spouse is MVP. But we are not really interested in upgrades away from kids. Is there really any benefit to Main aside from back of the bus? (Its a little over 2 hours so no big deal.) I will just check bags and board with MVPG and call it good I assume.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by williwaw
I am sort of loathe to use X fares. But my family of 4 is making a run to LA and the savings is 25% off and there are open seats available so I know we can sit with the kids. I am MVPG and spouse is MVP. But we are not really interested in upgrades away from kids. Is there really any benefit to Main aside from back of the bus? (Its a little over 2 hours so no big deal.) I will just check bags and board with MVPG and call it good I assume.
Sounds like you're mostly fine w/ the drawbacks of saver fares vs price in this instance. Only thing to keep in mind for saver fares you didn't mention: they are non-changeable, non-refundable even for MVPG pax. So if there's a chance your plans might change, I'd book the Main (realizing you'd have to pay $125 change fees for wife/kids). If you're pretty certain these flights will work, Saver is prob fine.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Sounds like you're mostly fine w/ the drawbacks of saver fares vs price in this instance. Only thing to keep in mind for saver fares you didn't mention: they are non-changeable, non-refundable even for MVPG pax. So if there's a chance your plans might change, I'd book the Main (realizing you'd have to pay $125 change fees for wife/kids). If you're pretty certain these flights will work, Saver is prob fine.
Thanks - appreciate the gut check. Its $630 for four Saver tickets versus $790 for Main. For a short hop it seems silly to pay for Main.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I have an upcoming saver itinerary. In the past, I have been always able to reserve seats for Saver at the time of booking, but it looks like they have reduced the number of rows available for pre-select in the 739 compared to my last trip (I used to be able to select rows 28-34, but now it looks like they have limited it to 30-34).

So, my question is, does Alaska “punish” you the way AA and BA do, auto-assigning a middle seat during OLCI when booking Saver even when aisles or windows are still available? Or will the system still assign you to your preferred seat preference (if available)? Or can I actually choose my seat during OLCI if there are still unallocated non-premium seats?
I have booked saver a lot with parties of more than one and not selected seats at booking. Only once were we assigned seats that were not together. I have small children so I am guessing that makes a difference but even on a trip with just my wife and I we were assigned exit row seats together at the gate. I flew saver recently by myself however and was assigned a middle in row 31 even though the plane was 1/3 empty and there were plenty of open windows. Luckily there was no one in 31F so I just sat there.

I am usually booking 5 tix, so buying up to main would add up quickly.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by pickles1107
I have booked saver a lot with parties of more than one and not selected seats at booking. Only once were we assigned seats that were not together. I have small children so I am guessing that makes a difference but even on a trip with just my wife and I we were assigned exit row seats together at the gate. I flew saver recently by myself however and was assigned a middle in row 31 even though the plane was 1/3 empty and there were plenty of open windows. Luckily there was no one in 31F so I just sat there.

I am usually booking 5 tix, so buying up to main would add up quickly.
In my case, I was traveling by myself and was auto-assigned a middle prior to online check-in at T-24. Y was pretty full (139/152 booked per the GIDS), but there were still a couple empty aisle seats on the map, which could be because upgrades were processed after my seat was auto-assigned. I wouldn’t mind so much if they would actually let me pick my own seat during OLCI.

Edit to add that on my return trip, I was auto-assigned a window, which is what I wanted. And the middle next to me stayed open, which was even better.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Jan 2, 2020 at 5:14 am
Old Dec 24, 2019, 6:07 pm

Might have been noted up thread, but just noticed a main cabin fare actually priced for $5 less than saver fare. I thought that was odd. Is that common? Funny that someone might pay more to get less! Probably just a fare bucket distribution/ timing thing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.