FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1931311-details-discussion-saver-basic-economy-x-fares.html)

nomad420 Mar 11, 2019 10:12 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 30872860)
Just pay the extra $30. Don't buy a cheap no frills seat then complain when you get assigned a cheap no frills seat.

+1

The up charge still makes it cheaper than UA E+ (usually) and for a much better product (JMHO). I was just on a AS flight and I had to book a saver fare as everything else was sold out. I was begging to upgrade out of my middle seat at check in and at the gate but no go, sold out flight. I will still say it wasn't horrible it is just a choice point for me.

1353513636 Mar 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Well I don't usually fly AS and assumed it would be like DL where you just pick any available seat at T-24. I just thought it was jarring that they couldn't give me an open window 15 minutes before boarding at the gate (I ended up sitting in said window seat once onboard and no one complained).

Xrayman Mar 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 30873248)
+1

The up charge still makes it cheaper than UA E+ (usually) and for a much better product (JMHO). I was just on a AS flight and I had to book a saver fare as everything else was sold out. I was begging to upgrade out of my middle seat at check in and at the gate but no go, sold out flight. I will still say it wasn't horrible it is just a choice point for me.

Agree that this is a choice point for me as well. Can I inquire how does it come to a point only basic economy fair remains? I just assumed they sold those first (and presumed bought up first)

VegasGambler Mar 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Xrayman (Post 30874814)
Agree that this is a choice point for me as well. Can I inquire how does it come to a point only basic economy fair remains? I just assumed they sold those first (and presumed bought up first)

I don't think that it's possible that only saver is available.

A particular saver (X) fare has an underlying code (say, for example, T) In order to buy a ticket on an X fare with underlying code T, there needs to be both T and X availability. Even if there is no valid published fare for T (due to advance purchase requirements) all the economy fare classes higher than T would have availability, including Y, where there are unrestricted (expensive!) fares available

It's possible that the website is not displaying it for some reason, but you could book it though a travel agent. A phone agent may be able to book it as well.

jjmadison Mar 11, 2019 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30874865)
I don't think that it's possible that only saver is available.

A particular saver (X) fare has an underlying code (say, for example, T) In order to buy a ticket on an X fare with underlying code T, there needs to be both T and X availability. Even if there is no valid published fare for T (due to advance purchase requirements) all the economy fare classes higher than T would have availability, including Y, where there are unrestricted (expensive!) fares available

It's possible that the website is not displaying it for some reason, but you could book it though a travel agent. A phone agent may be able to book it as well.

I agree, it shouldn't be possible, but I've run into only X before on last minutes flights (less than T48. In order to get around that, I booked with AS points and got a regular seat (and then an F upgrade with 75k status).

The system is still screwy sometimes with X. There's also the reverse problem where X is sometimes more expensive than Y. It shouldn't be, but that's AS tech for you.

Xrayman Mar 11, 2019 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by jjmadison (Post 30875077)
I agree, it shouldn't be possible, but I've run into only X before on last minutes flights (less than T48. In order to get around that, I booked with AS points and got a regular seat (and then an F upgrade with 75k status).

The system is still screwy sometimes with X. There's also the reverse problem where X is sometimes more expensive than Y. It shouldn't be, but that's AS tech for you.

good to know and need for diligence with last minute or short notice flying needs. I would be Upset to say the least as a last minute business traveler having to sit in a not sold out flight and needing to negotiate my own in flight seating arrangements on full fare.

This is why I tell spouse that we need at all times at least 180k miles for last minute funny stuff for 3 travelers.

VegasGambler Mar 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by jjmadison (Post 30875077)

I'd love to see an example of this. In particular I want to look at EF to see (1) what the inventory on the flight is, and (2) what published fares there are.

jjmadison Mar 12, 2019 11:31 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30875598)
I'd love to see an example of this. In particular I want to look at EF to see (1) what the inventory on the flight is, and (2) what published fares there are.

Sure thing. I'll post an example next time I spot one.

cerealmarketer Mar 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Have a relative flying on a saver fare and as a surprise want to pay to upfare it to first class.

Am I correct to assume the only way to do that would be to buy a brand new first class ticket on the same flight, and let the original economy ticket go unused?

Xrayman Mar 12, 2019 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 30879465)
Have a relative flying on a saver fare and as a surprise want to pay to upfare it to first class.

Am I correct to assume the only way to do that would be to buy a brand new first class ticket on the same flight, and let the original economy ticket go unused?

may actually need to call and cancel the BE ticket, otherwise may look like a double booking and get flagged and both cancelled.

1353513636 Mar 12, 2019 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Xrayman (Post 30879513)

may actually need to call and cancel the BE ticket, otherwise may look like a double booking and get flagged and both cancelled.

upthread it is stated that you can't cancel BE tickets.

bk3day Apr 4, 2019 4:06 pm

Two Saver flights down and here are the seating data points...

1st flight Tues JFK-SFO @7:40am - During purchase I was permitted to select 30D.
On board, turns out I was the only person seated in the last 10+ rows!

2nd Flight Mon SFO-JFK @11:15pm. During purchase I was permitted to select 31C.
At boarding time, the seat map was very full in back half of plane. As I approached the gate, I noticed the seat map was now showing several empty seats in the back. When I reached the GA, I asked if the seat map was correct, in hopes of asking to switch my seat across the aisle and scoring an empty middle. GA explained that the seat map changes were happening because there were weight & balance issues. Next thing I know, I was handed a bp for 7C. ^

3rd Flight is tomorrow (JFK-LAX) and no option to select a seat was given during purchase. Also I'm the 2nd on a Companion ticket. Curious to see how that plays out.

williwaw Apr 4, 2019 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by bk3day (Post 30965721)
Two Saver flights down and here are the seating data points...

1st flight Tues JFK-SFO @7:40am - During purchase I was permitted to select 30D.
On board, turns out I was the only person seated in the last 10+ rows!

2nd Flight Mon SFO-JFK @11:15pm. During purchase I was permitted to select 31C.
At boarding time, the seat map was very full in back half of plane. As I approached the gate, I noticed the seat map was now showing several empty seats in the back. When I reached the GA, I asked if the seat map was correct, in hopes of asking to switch my seat across the aisle and scoring an empty middle. GA explained that the seat map changes were happening because there were weight & balance issues. Next thing I know, I was handed a bp for 7C. ^

3rd Flight is tomorrow (JFK-LAX) and no option to select a seat was given during purchase. Also I'm the 2nd on a Companion ticket. Curious to see how that plays out.

Do you have AS status at all? This is at least the second report of X unassigned before departure being placed in PC. Interesting move....

bk3day Apr 9, 2019 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw (Post 30965765)
Do you have AS status at all? This is at least the second report of X unassigned before departure being placed in PC. Interesting move....

No AS status on any of my now 4 Saver flights.

To wrap up the seating saga...

3rd Flight Fri 8:15pm. JFK-LAX Companion ticket buyer (also w/no AS status) did OLCI for both of us @T-10. He was assigned 10D & I was assigned 10E.

4th Flight Sun 9:15pm LAX-JFK I did OLCI @T-7 for both of us. Companion ticket buyer (also w/no AS status) was assigned 10B. I was not assigned a seat. Rather, a small message said to see GA for seat assignment.

Fast forward to AS lounge. Companion ticket buyer was able to get seat switched out of middle to Row 23 window. At Gate,after some pleasant chatting with GA, she kindly assigned me an aisle seat, also in Row 23.

fwiw, that 4th flight earned me MVP status via the Coast to Cost promo and happy to report the status change & double miles posted in less than 36hrs.

mfolf Apr 10, 2019 11:15 am

I was looking for an early flight home from a trip, and saw this. Didn't book but was surprised at the lack of option to buy up.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e2d84d668d.png