FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1931311-details-discussion-saver-basic-economy-x-fares.html)

ayee007 Feb 26, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks for moving the thread. I don't have status with Alaska so I'm going to be boarding last. I do hope there are flight attendants willing to help find overhead space as you mentioned!

VegasGambler Feb 26, 2019 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer (Post 30824969)
This thread could possibly be moved to the ongoing Saver discussion thread, however if you have status (MVP, Gold, etc.) you board with your status. If you do not have status then you will be the last to board and if it is like most of the recent full flights that I have been on, they most likely will gate check your roller. That being said, I have seen FAs heroically try to help passengers find some way to get bags into the overhead bins. Good luck.

Actually... if you have a crappy seat at the back of the plane (even in Saver) you will board in C, which gives you access to the overhead bins before the non-status people on main fares who got better seats near the front of the plane (they board in D).

If you don't mind being 20 rows behind your bag you can just put it in the first spot you see on the way back to your seat.

williwaw Feb 26, 2019 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30825255)
Actually... if you have a crappy seat at the back of the plane (even in Saver) you will board in C, which gives you access to the overhead bins before the non-status people on main fares who got better seats near the front of the plane (they board in D).

If you don't mind being 20 rows behind your bag you can just put it in the first spot you see on the way back to your seat.

I've not personally flown Saver, but AS says they board in Group E:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/flight-experience/our-boarding-process

ayee007 Feb 26, 2019 5:19 pm

yea alaska says that basic saver fares will board in group E, which means i'll be last to board. i havent flown with alaska in a few months, looking at an afternoon departure out of LAX to NY, have your alaska flights been absolutely full? the last couple flights i've had on virgin/alaska, i've seen a few seats open but it was a few months ago =(

VegasGambler Feb 26, 2019 6:21 pm

I have a friend who regularly flies saver and she has always been in C or D depending on which half of the plane she was sitting in. This happened as recently as this past weekend (she also got seated in premium economy on one of her saver legs -- that time she boarded in B)

I have never flown Saver either so I can only base my knowledge on what happens to other people. Maybe this is something that they are in the process of rolling out (the linked page was only updated with the E information 3 weeks ago)

tatterdema Feb 28, 2019 6:47 am

Another unintended consequence of these fares, at least I think it is unintended, is that package prices on Expedia and other Ota's have gone up. Example, I used to be able to book a last minute package, and the pricing would be as low as the lowest prices offered 30 days out. Now the lowest price is the lowest MAIN fare, meaning about $60 higher for a package price than it used to be.

I used to jump on these about once a month for a quick weekend getaway. Not so much now, I do not have an additional $60 a month throw away spending at the moment.

PaperGlider Feb 28, 2019 11:53 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema (Post 30831101)
Another unintended consequence of these fares, at least I think it is unintended, is that package prices on Expedia and other Ota's have gone up. Example, I used to be able to book a last minute package, and the pricing would be as low as the lowest prices offered 30 days out. Now the lowest price is the lowest MAIN fare, meaning about $60 higher for a package price than it used to be.

I used to jump on these about once a month for a quick weekend getaway. Not so much now, I do not have an additional $60 a month throw away spending at the moment.

What is this expedia last-minute package thing?

tatterdema Feb 28, 2019 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider (Post 30832209)
What is this expedia last-minute package thing?

If you had to travel last minute, you could pick a package through expedia, or Alaskaair, and the price of airfare was not jacked up like it is if you buy flights only. It is still less expensive, but now more than it used to be.

Mostly Las Vegas is where I find the lower prices, but sometimes PSP, ONT, LAX, SAN, etc.

Zwiebelbauer Mar 2, 2019 7:37 pm

Heads up, these fares might make you ineligible for trip cancellation insurance as they're not cancelable, and most insurance claims require you to provide proof that you canceled the tickets. Called and spoke with agent who said the only option was to wait until after the trip and ask for proof of a noshow.

VegasGambler Mar 3, 2019 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Zwiebelbauer (Post 30840779)
Heads up, these fares might make you ineligible for trip cancellation insurance as they're not cancelable, and most insurance claims require you to provide proof that you canceled the tickets. Called and spoke with agent who said the only option was to wait until after the trip and ask for proof of a noshow.

Saver tickets can be canceled. They have no residual value after cancellation, but they can be cancelled.

Zwiebelbauer Mar 3, 2019 3:19 pm

Huh, I can't do it online and both agents said they couldn't cancel it. Should I keep trying to HUCA?

VegasGambler Mar 3, 2019 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Zwiebelbauer (Post 30843556)
Huh, I can't do it online and both agents said they couldn't cancel it. Should I keep trying to HUCA?

What? Really? That doesn't make sense. What if you need to buy another ticket to go somewhere else at the same time? Their system will not ticket an overlapping reservation until the old one is canceled (I've run into this before).

Also, you'd think that they would want to be able to free up the inventory so they can re-sell it.

jjmadison Mar 3, 2019 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30844338)
What? Really? That doesn't make sense. What if you need to buy another ticket to go somewhere else at the same time? Their system will not ticket an overlapping reservation until the old one is canceled (I've run into this before).

Also, you'd think that they would want to be able to free up the inventory so they can re-sell it.

I agree it doesn't make sense from a business perspective, but then I think about the Alaska tech team perspective...

"no refunds for the new X fares? Great! Then we don't have to code a separate cancellation system for 100% forfeiting ticket value."

Flying for Fun Mar 3, 2019 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by jjmadison (Post 30844556)
I agree it doesn't make sense from a business perspective, but then I think about the Alaska tech team perspective...

"no refunds for the new X fares? Great! Then we don't have to code a separate cancellation system for 100% forfeiting ticket value."

It will cancel on the "no show" and the "value" is forfeited just like any other fare, even refunndable F.

James at the St. Regis Bora Boral

williwaw Mar 3, 2019 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30844338)

I have to admit I often have two tickets booked for myself at the same time and no problems. Usually because I am waffling on itineraries. But the system has always allowed it for me.