FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1931311-details-discussion-saver-basic-economy-x-fares.html)

Often1 Sep 19, 18 12:35 pm

There is a significant slice of the traveling public which simply abandons the residual credit from standard penalty tickets anyway. Either they don't travel enough, they forget or it is just to much of a hassle. Those people are attracted to the lowest fare. It is way overthinking things to believe that there are a lot of people who make a rational choice about these things.

Just look at the one-time wonder rants here on FT from people who bought a BE ticket, were forced to sit apart from somebody for a <2 hour flight and the carrier ruined their life because it would not force someone out of a seat to meet their needs. Or their dog ate a $5 winning lottery ticket and they are too upset to travel and can't understand why the carrier won't refund their BE ticket.

PV_Premier Sep 19, 18 1:42 pm


Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30222247)
There is a significant slice of the traveling public which simply abandons the residual credit from standard penalty tickets anyway. Either they don't travel enough, they forget or it is just to much of a hassle. Those people are attracted to the lowest fare. It is way overthinking things to believe that there are a lot of people who make a rational choice about these things.

Just look at the one-time wonder rants here on FT from people who bought a BE ticket, were forced to sit apart from somebody for a <2 hour flight and the carrier ruined their life because it would not force someone out of a seat to meet their needs. Or their dog ate a $5 winning lottery ticket and they are too upset to travel and can't understand why the carrier won't refund their BE ticket.

was the dog an ESA?

notquiteaff Sep 19, 18 2:17 pm


Originally Posted by DG206 (Post 30221500)
If you are like me and get stuck on nothing but Q400's where every seat is terrible, Id gladly save a few bucks to not pre select a seat

You are not saving anything compared to what you pay today, though. Other than the time to actually select a seat, but you can always skip that.

Also, I am almost always able to get 1B, which I like (my wife grumbles in 1A but understands my desire for leg room).

DG206 Sep 19, 18 2:24 pm


Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 30222667)
Also, I am almost always able to get 1B, which I like (my wife grumbles in 1A but understands my desire for leg room).

Half the people don't close the door to the restroom when they're done. That seat stinks- literally

Often1 Sep 19, 18 4:02 pm


Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 30222667)
You are not saving anything compared to what you pay today, though. Other than the time to actually select a seat, but you can always skip that.

Also, I am almost always able to get 1B, which I like (my wife grumbles in 1A but understands my desire for leg room).

It does not matter whether your ticket tomorrow represents a savings over your ticket today.

All that matters is what a ticket costs tomorrow in BE and then plain old Y. The fact that carriers use BE not to cut fares, but to raise them is the subject of endless rants on FT, but carriers set prices based on what they can get today, not what they could get yesterday.

s0ssos Sep 19, 18 6:26 pm


Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30221434)
It sounds like Orbitz serves you poorly. Continuing to use it is a market choice you make.

ITAMatrix also serves one poorly then. Don't know what google flights does as I hate the fact that google destroyed ITAMatrix so don't use it

s0ssos Sep 19, 18 6:28 pm

I wonder whether elites can change the BE tickets without a fee. None of the legacy airlines have that policy anyway, only Southwest (which doesn't have BE) and Jetblue (which also doesn't have BE)

jrl767 Sep 19, 18 7:39 pm

BE tix are essentially “use-or-lose” and cannot be changed at all ... but I would never be surprised to learn that, in some instances, a phone agent or airport counter agent might have waived that rule for an elite

notquiteaff Sep 19, 18 7:47 pm


Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30223041)
It does not matter whether your ticket tomorrow represents a savings over your ticket today.

All that matters is what a ticket costs tomorrow in BE and then plain old Y. The fact that carriers use BE not to cut fares, but to raise them is the subject of endless rants on FT, but carriers set prices based on what they can get today, not what they could get yesterday.

If they didn’t think that they could earn overall more tomorrow than today (whether through add on fees or people opting to buy regular economy to avoid the restrictions), they presumably would not go through the trouble of creating them. Those cost of implementation and negative press isn’t exactly small.

And where does that extra revenue (and presumably profit) come from?

Of course, it is too simplistic to assume that every BE fare is exactly what the regular Economy fare would have been ... (or was)

The airlines might say they need these “lower” fares to better compete with no frills carriers. You know, to fill all those empty seats we see on the planes with more price sensitive travelers.

PV_Premier Sep 20, 18 12:14 am


Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 30223637)


If they didn’t think that they could earn overall more tomorrow than today (whether through add on fees or people opting to buy regular economy to avoid the restrictions), they presumably would not go through the trouble of creating them. Those cost of implementation and negative press isn’t exactly small.

And where does that extra revenue (and presumably profit) come from?

Of course, it is too simplistic to assume that every BE fare is exactly what the regular Economy fare would have been ... (or was)

The airlines might say they need these “lower” fares to better compete with no frills carriers. You know, to fill all those empty seats we see on the planes with more price sensitive travelers.

negative press has no consequence in a follow the leader world. Just look at what’s currently happening with the $5 bump in the bag fee you’ll pay on that BE ticket

UAPremierExec Sep 20, 18 12:38 am

I'm thinking that Club 49 benefits won't apply to Basic, and I think our elite benefits will be trimmed.

However, I'm optimistic. Was just pricing an AA Intl itinerary - and Basic to "Regular" was only $15 more.

missamo80 Sep 20, 18 7:03 am


Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 30224245)
Was just pricing an AA Intl itinerary - and Basic to "Regular" was only $15 more.

That's exactly what the airlines hope happen. It's "only" $15, but you just paid $15 more than you used to for the same flight with the same benefits.

Neil

PV_Premier Sep 20, 18 11:06 am


Originally Posted by missamo80 (Post 30225048)
That's exactly what the airlines hope happen. It's "only" $15, but you just paid $15 more than you used to for the same flight with the same benefits.

Neil

@:-)

not to mention that the aforementioned "regular" is also much worse than it used to be, thanks to slimlines, high density seating configurations, bag fees, etc, etc.

UAPremierExec Sep 20, 18 2:54 pm

But "other guys" Basic -> Regular Economy has been slightly larger jumps than $15. I've seen some hovering in the $50 range. So, I'll take $15 if I have to deal with Basic and let AAG pay their people more (or, I hope...)

missamo80 Sep 20, 18 3:13 pm


Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 30226941)
and let AAG pay their people more

It's been a long day and I needed that laugh. Thank you :)

Neil


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:07 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.