Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Just tried booking through Concur at work.. there's no warning about these fares, and there's no way to exclude them. Going to be awful trying to fly for work in 2019 with these fares.
After seeing this I went into Concur to look at some dummy bookings and even on flights where alaskaair.com showed Saver space, Concur wasn't providing it as an option. Only showed the lowest main cabin fare available, plus Y and F. I'm really hoping that means my employer already made the decision to exclude X fares.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:11 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I've already made several dummy bookings + real bookings with our corporate Concur portal and no saver fares are listed, as expected. They'd previously excluded BE fares from Delta etc.

Neil
RaginPlainsman likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmadison
Great point on the Matrix, VegasGambler. I used to use Matrix exclusively, but moved to Google Flights for the alerts. I also like that I can quickly code out custom results on the map by editing the URL. Since Google Flights is built on the Matrix software, there's probably a way to filter by booking code that I haven't figured out yet. For now, I'm going to return to Matrix.
Hmm good point; I should look more closely at how the url is constructed.

I can't even figure out how to get Google flights to SHOW the booking code, never mind filter on it.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG
What I really don't like is AS saver fares are showing up in Google Flights as regular fares. There is no way to search for regular fares where I have my elite benefits. Anyone found a way to search only non-saver fares? This is bound to catch people who don't fly often by surprise.
I ran into this too. Kayak lets you filter out Saver fares.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by spgaston
I ran into this too. Kayak lets you filter out Saver fares.
My experience on kayak this week is that main cabin fares aren’t shown at all. When I filter out basic economy, Alaska flights disappear from the search results entirely. The only exception to this seems to be flights where basic economy isn’t available; those flights were showing main cabin options. Hopefully this will be fixed soon since it is in Alaska’s interest to show main cabin fares, since they want us to buy up.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bretmd

My experience on kayak this week is that main cabin fares aren’t shown at all. When I filter out basic economy, Alaska flights disappear from the search results entirely. The only exception to this seems to be flights where basic economy isn’t available; those flights were showing main cabin options. Hopefully this will be fixed soon since it is in Alaska’s interest to show main cabin fares, since they want us to buy up.
Ha! That's a great bug. I can practically see their source code.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Hmm good point; I should look more closely at how the url is constructed.

I can't even figure out how to get Google flights to SHOW the booking code, never mind filter on it.
Here are the URL codes I use when in Google Flights map view. The map UI settings don't let you filter down to a specific airline (only alliance). This lets you limit to AS so you can play with visual maps of all of the places you could fly Alaska for your date and $ ranges.

Tricks for Google Flights:

For AS only:
;a:AS*AS;

For nonstop:
;s:0;

For one stop:
;s:1;

For price under $500
;p:50000.2.USD;

For ticket class:
There seem to only be settings for First, Business, Premium, and Economy.

First
sc:f;

Business (same as first for AS)
sc:b

Premium
sc

Economy (which for AS, lists Basic Economy tickets as economy)
remove the sc code
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The map UI settings don't let you filter down to a specific airline (only alliance).
You can! It's just not easy. Select a destination. Then you can filter by airline. Then if you go back to the map page (NOT using the back button on your browser) the filter will still be there.

Your way is easier, though.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:59 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
What I really don't like is AS saver fares are showing up in Google Flights as regular fares. There is no way to search for regular fares where I have my elite benefits. Anyone found a way to search only non-saver fares? This is bound to catch people who don't fly often by surprise.
FYI, the Google Flights team is aware of this issue. In the meantime, notice that if you select a flight that is a saver fare, the "Book on Google with Alaska" option will not appear. This is so you are forced to go to Alaska.com to book, and you'll see the warning about the saver fare restrictions.
FlyingBear and jjmadison like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: AS, QF, SK
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I am starting to regret some purchase decisions I made this year that will lead to renewed MVPG status next year. My last flight of the year will be the first time I fly Delta domestically in many years... and I suspect that I will see more of Delta at SEA next year because I don’t think I will bother to aim for AS status again.
Honestly, best thing you can do, unfortunately. I don't love DL by any stretch, but my travel experience has improved dramatically since mostly bailing from AS a couple of years back. I still hit G status each year just on the back of how frequently I travel to a spot DL doesn't service via a non-stop (just hit it last week, as a matter of fact), but literally all my other revenue goes the other way now, and it's honestly been easier (we all know hat a pain in the tail it is to have to get from someplace that's NOT SEA>PDX>SJC>LAX to somewhere else). As an interesting side effect, this saver fare has even messed up my biz travel to DEN (where DL, sadly, doesn't really play): I have to book through Concur. Historically, I book there and then call the Gold line and buy the F upgrade if I'm concerned I won't get the comp. Ever since Saver fares, though, my Concur portal books me in that bucket, and I end up having to threaten the damn agent on the other end of the phone to make an "exception" for me so I can buy up. I don't see myself even bothering with this in the coming year, it's too much negativity and hassle, and a clear sign AS doesn't value its FF's - even the ones that buy up - in any meaningful way.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Quintious
Ever since Saver fares, though, my Concur portal books me in that bucket, and I end up having to threaten the damn agent on the other end of the phone to make an "exception" for me so I can buy up.
Your company’s travel agent? Why don’t you just ask your travel coordinator/agency to block BE fares in the first place in Concur if they end up letting you purchase non-BE fares to buy up from?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: AS, QF, SK
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Your company’s travel agent? Why don’t you just ask your travel coordinator/agency to block BE fares in the first place in Concur if they end up letting you purchase non-BE fares to buy up from?
I'm a company exception (medical). It's never been a problem with any carrier previously until AS decided to start the process of becoming RyanAir. Whatever, it is what it is, I'll just take WN starting next year even though I dislike tourist carriers.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Agree- most companies are blocking BE fares. If you need to change, those tickets are trash.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not quite sure what is going on here but right now for SFO-JFK in 2019, the R (main) fare is about $2 cheaper than the fare that books into X with underlying code R.

The bottom line is that there is lots of Main SFO-JFK for $127 (last year's prices!) while the X fares are $129. The main is R; the X is underlying R.

I'm guessing that this is a mistake on AS's part; buy em while you can.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Not quite sure what is going on here but right now for SFO-JFK in 2019, the R (main) fare is about $2 cheaper than the fare that books into X with underlying code R.

The bottom line is that there is lots of Main SFO-JFK for $127 (last year's prices!) while the X fares are $129. The main is R; the X is underlying R.

I'm guessing that this is a mistake on AS's part; buy em while you can.
If you look closely at these flights, you will see that the 9:20AM departure and 11:30AM return flights do have Saver fares at $129 one-way and Main(R) fares are $157. The other 3 daily flights do not have any Saver fares and just have $127 Main(R) fares. This is undoubtedly due to B6 who is likely the fare setter on this route and does not yet have Basic Economy fares. There's no B6 flight around 9:20AM, so AS seems to feel they can charge a premium for that particular flight. There is an 11:10AM B6 JFK-SFO flight, but that time slot likely has sufficient demand that AS feels than can compete against B6 with pricier Main fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.