Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
They did not even pretend to have even one "cheaper" saver fare for ANY route I fly. I challenge anyone on this forum to find ONE route that is now cheaper on a saver fare after the adjustments.
SEA-JNU is notably cheaper for saver.
MJMLBBtoCPH likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
I would fully expect most employers to eventually exclude them from display, just as they have done with the other legacy carriers.
It's been a while since I have done corporate travel with Concur, but why should AS Saver Fares be excluded? You have the potential to choose a non-middle seat if you are booking in advance (and presumably if you are doing a last minute booking, there is no X fare). You can bring a carry on. You even earn miles. Yeah, you may end up with the case where you can't assign a seat, but that's no different than AA on some level. I guess from those who do more business travel, what would compel a company (not the actual flyer per se) to exclude Saver fares the same way they have been with Basic Economy on the Big 3 (except if your company has an elite status or upgrade clause, which I don't have experience with)?

(Not trying to be sarcastic. I really want to get into understanding the corporate aspect. If there are any travel managers on here, I'd really like to know what the cutoffs are.)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBear
It's been a while since I have done corporate travel with Concur, but why should AS Saver Fares be excluded? You have the potential to choose a non-middle seat if you are booking in advance (and presumably if you are doing a last minute booking, there is no X fare). You can bring a carry on. You even earn miles. Yeah, you may end up with the case where you can't assign a seat, but that's no different than AA on some level. I guess from those who do more business travel, what would compel a company (not the actual flyer per se) to exclude Saver fares the same way they have been with Basic Economy on the Big 3 (except if your company has an elite status or upgrade clause, which I don't have experience with)?

(Not trying to be sarcastic. I really want to get into understanding the corporate aspect. If there are any travel managers on here, I'd really like to know what the cutoffs are.)
Really easy answer... if my work books a $300 fare for me to fly to Los Angeles and we have to change the travel by a day due to meetings, they'd much rather pay-up to $360rt and be non-saver than have to throw away the entire trip and book a new one.

It *all* comes down to the flexibility and changeability, even with fees for non-MVPG+ fliers.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
To nitpick: if you'd like to receive MVPG status benefits, yes, you need to pay $1260 more a year. But if all you want is to maintain your status (without reaping its benefits), the marginal cost is $0 per year. Saver fares still earn 100% EQM. (This is more generous than United, where Basic Economy earns 0% EQM.)
What's the point of status if you don't get the in-flight benefits of said status?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
It *all* comes down to the flexibility and changeability, even with fees for non-MVPG+ fliers.
Good point! I forgot about that one. Here in CA, some gov't departments are required to book Anytime Fares on WN or refundable fare on others. So I could see that being another exclusion in some cases, where the company will consider the potential for changes and cancellation. Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by FlyingBear

Really easy answer... if my work books a $300 fare for me to fly to Los Angeles and we have to change the travel by a day due to meetings, they'd much rather pay-up to $360rt and be non-saver than have to throw away the entire trip and book a new one.

Bingo. It's the fly it or lose it that is a huge problem for biz travel.

Originally Posted by Bethelite
What's the point of status if you don't get the in-flight benefits of said status?
None whatsoever, it's a Pay to Play model.
bmvaughn and williwaw like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by Bethelite
Well, not completely true. Sure, no upgrades but you get to board before most on your elite status thereby knowing you will have plenty of carry on space, you still get a "free" drink in the back of the bus based on your elite status. Yes, i get this is not important to many, but you do get "some" benefits based on your elite status.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
you still get a "free" drink in the back of the bus based on your elite status.
No you don't. The only elite benefit you get on a saver fare is early boarding.

Neil
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
you still get a "free" drink in the back of the bus based on your elite status.
Originally Posted by missamo80

Neil
From Alaska's saver fare FAQ: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver

As an elite Mileage Plan member, what benefits do I receive on a Saver fare?

You may board according to your status. Baggage fees are still waived according to your status, and you’ll receive the same refreshments and inflight entertainment. Existing elite bonuses apply.
(emphasis mine)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:37 pm

Well, on the bright side, perhaps this will increase the probability of an upgrade for those who do pay more for the Main fares. I suppose, wouldn't mind having a better chance for a transcon upgrade, but I'd imagine most would just pay the extra $30 on these routes.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80

Neil
Sigh... such a misunderstanding of the new system.

* Priority check-in
* Baggage fee waiver
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)

* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Sigh... such a misunderstanding of the new system.

* Priority check-in
* Baggage fee waiver

My question is - what happens if it is an empty flight - can you request a better seat at the gate? Are they going to deny a MM or 75K an exit row or a seat closer to the front if there is one available? That seems sort of churlish, but my guess is, no.

Also, does this mean that I can't refund a saver fare in case I decide I can't fly that day? does that money not go back into my wallet as a 75K?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
My question is - what happens if it is an empty flight - can you request a better seat at the gate? Are they going to deny a MM or 75K an exit row or a seat closer to the front if there is one available? That seems sort of churlish, but my guess is, no.
I don't know that we've seen an indication either way on this, from a rules perspective. Though the published rules may be different from what a gate agent or flight attendant would do.

Originally Posted by lalala
Also, does this mean that I can't refund a saver fare in case I decide I can't fly that day? does that money not go back into my wallet as a 75K?
Correct. ZERO refunds after 24h.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
SEA-JNU is notably cheaper for saver.
Cheaper for Saver today than the lowest fare before Saver fares were introduced?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Cheaper for Saver today than the lowest fare before Saver fares were introduced?
Yep! Seeing $140 today when the cheapest pre-saver fare was around $160

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.