Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BearX220
The other carriers' BE programs have been Trojan Horse price hikes. They are not discounts against old economy fares, with less benefits. They are the old economy fares, with the benefits formerly associated with same now priced higher. Presumably AS will be no less disappointing.
Isn’t that the whole point? Airlines figure a certain percentage of people will pay extra to avoid it and thus increase revenue overall. Whether in practice it is the cash cow they thought it would be is another story.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Most employers have exempted BE fares from "lowest logical" policies and, if they use compliance software such as Concur, have programmed that accordingly. These fares are a terrible deal for businesses because, at least on the three legacies and we will have to see on AS -- the tickets are inflexible. Thus, if a trip is cancelled or changed, the ticket is worthless. One does not need to toss more than a ticket every year or two to make up whatever the scraps are in BE.

BE works well for carriers. Most passengers simply click on the cheapest fare and do not consider anything else. If AS provides middle seats only, most won't even know that there were available windows and aisles to have been had for a marginally more expensive fare.

It is all a race to the bottom. If one carrier prices $10-15 below the others, its tickets will show up as the cheapest. But, if everyone offers roughly the same BE ticket, it won't much matter.

For personal travel, this may be useful if one simply cannot afford the Y ticket and the small savings to BE makes the trip doable. But, the cheapest ticket is often not the least expensive ticket. People need to make changes and when they do, they get a rude surprise (they should not, but they do).
BearX220 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:55 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
BE works well for carriers. Most passengers simply click on the cheapest fare and do not consider anything else. If AS provides middle seats only, most won't even know that there were available windows and aisles to have been had for a marginally more expensive fare.
I expect Alaska will go out of their way to make sure people buying these fares know they are stuck in a middle seat and for just a few bucks more can get a different fare that allows windows and aisles.

These fares aren't about offering cheaper flights for the flying public. They're about charging the same for less and enticing people to pay more to avoid the restrictions on the ticket.

Neil
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by CDKing
I am confident thats coming to all fare classes soon other than refundable..
have they announced sub 100% on other rev fares is coming?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by missamo80
I expect Alaska will go out of their way to make sure people buying these fares know they are stuck in a middle seat and for just a few bucks more can get a different fare that allows windows and aisles.

These fares aren't about offering cheaper flights for the flying public. They're about charging the same for less and enticing people to pay more to avoid the restrictions on the ticket.

Neil
You would be surprised. All three of the legacies not only separate out BE from Y, PE, J, and F, but also require one to check a box before proceeding, acknowledging the specific limitation of the fares. People click through those things without looking. AS may or may not do the same thing, but it can't likely do more than AA, DL, and UA do now and the fares are wildly successful, to the extent that both DL and UA are expanding their use
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would be surprised. All three of the legacies not only separate out BE from Y, PE, J, and F, but also require one to check a box before proceeding, acknowledging the specific limitation of the fares. People click through those things without looking. AS may or may not do the same thing, but it can't likely do more than AA, DL, and UA do now and the fares are wildly successful, to the extent that both DL and UA are expanding their use
If you buy tickets through an OTA it may be less obvious and less called out. I often do initial price comparisons through OTAs, and getting them to not show BE fares can be non-trivial. I habitually use Orbitz, but they're particularly bad about wanting to show nothing but BE, so I'm finally starting to use google flights for the comparison. I'm not sure if they make you acknowledge what a restricted ticket you're getting, because I buy personal tickets through the airline sites and have someone else do my tickets at work, but they aren't nearly as obvious as using the airline websites while you're searching.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
...the cheapest ticket is often not the least expensive ticket. People need to make changes and when they do, they get a rude surprise.
A point lost on most casual buyers.

All three of the legacies not only separate out BE from Y, PE, J, and F, but also require one to check a box before proceeding, acknowledging the specific limitation of the fares.
OTA channels can be a good deal less explicit. Sometimes there is just a mystery icon, smaller than the price quote.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chrisl137
If you buy tickets through an OTA it may be less obvious and less called out. I often do initial price comparisons through OTAs, and getting them to not show BE fares can be non-trivial. I habitually use Orbitz...
It sounds like Orbitz serves you poorly. Continuing to use it is a market choice you make.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
If you are like me and get stuck on nothing but Q400's where every seat is terrible, Id gladly save a few bucks to not pre select a seat
tusphotog likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Gig103
Perhaps the difference (from the competition) is that elites would still see preferred seats?
What makes you think that? Elites are the demographic most likely/able to pay the "tax" to buy out of Basic and up to the higher fare to get their seat assignment and upgrade benefits
missamo80 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:05 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Remember that "wildly successful" for these fares, as seen from the airline's perspective, isn't that people buy them often. It's that people pay more money to avoid them. They haven't been wildly successful everywhere either. United admitted they lost $100m because passengers simply booked elsewhere when they could get more benefits for the same amount of money by flying another airline. American had to relax their BE carry-on rules too because they were so restrictive people simply booked another airline at the same price with fewer restrictions instead of paying American the upcharge to avoid the restrictions.

Neil
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by missamo80

Neil
The problem is when "a few bucks more" went from $20-$30 to $75 to $200+. That's how I wound up flying AS more (and liking it) in the first place. UA N fares and (especially) AA B fares had significant discounts from their other Y buckets. Any AS economy fare was usually cheaper than non-basic economy on my routes. When that goes away, likely so will I, as AS isn't a preferred vendor.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Likely two things people really care about, e.g. middle seats in the rear and wholly inflexible, e.g. have to buy a new ticket if you need to make a change.
If the fare is below the change fee, which it is in many cases, then this is already the case on traditional non-refundable fares.

Most employers have exempted BE fares from "lowest logical" policies and, if they use compliance software such as Concur, have programmed that accordingly. These fares are a terrible deal for businesses because, at least on the three legacies and we will have to see on AS -- the tickets are inflexible. Thus, if a trip is cancelled or changed, the ticket is worthless. One does not need to toss more than a ticket every year or two to make up whatever the scraps are in BE.
Part of the rationale these tickets are typically excluded is because of the restrictions. By including more than other carriers, AS may not be an exclusion here. This may help or harm them. If more people book them because they're lower, great. If people get creative and find ways to avoid them to get a better seat on someone else that is more restricted in the corp booking tools, this could harm them.

It is all a race to the bottom. If one carrier prices $10-15 below the others, its tickets will show up as the cheapest. But, if everyone offers roughly the same BE ticket, it won't much matter.

For personal travel, this may be useful if one simply cannot afford the Y ticket and the small savings to BE makes the trip doable. But, the cheapest ticket is often not the least expensive ticket. People need to make changes and when they do, they get a rude surprise (they should not, but they do).[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by BallardFlyer

have they announced sub 100% on other rev fares is coming?
No but they have done it to all of their partners but Qantas. The first will be just this new "basic" but do you really think its stops there? I wish i had your optimism.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It sounds like Orbitz serves you poorly. Continuing to use it is a market choice you make.
I don't really use it for other than finding flights at the right times that I book elsewhere, since it did a decent job of that until the proliferation of BE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.