FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1931311-details-discussion-saver-basic-economy-x-fares.html)

beckoa Dec 6, 2018 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by sjbsf (Post 30506703)
SFO to Seattle has increased from $69 to $99 for main cabin. That's a 43% increase to avail myself of the MVPG change fee waiver. I travel on my own dime, 2-3 times per month. They've also made it harder and harder to get a reasonably priced ticket out of OAK. I'm holding off on buying any more tickets and I truly hope that Alaska considers the response from its elites. I haven't jumped ship for WN yet, but its' on the table if pricing doesn't get refined.

Have you sent in a message to AS about this yet?

I think a compromise I could live with is a change fee waiver extended to MVPG and G75K's. I can deal with some of the rest. Zero flexibility is unfortunate, especially as a 1MM'er and unlike AS.

Toshbaf Dec 6, 2018 11:39 pm

Airlines are watching here, at least to some extent, so what I write is not secret.

They are testing the water. Basic economy vs. economy fare differential varies. Sometimes $20 each way, sometimes $30. Some airlines will let you pick seats from the last 4 rows then they will assign probably mostly middle seats after that.

Travelers will be asked to assess things like:
If I am elite, will I pay $20 more one way on a transcon than basic economy to get my pick of seats, which might include exit rows?
If I am not elite, will I pay $30 more one way than basic economy and get an average seat versus a rear middle?
Someday, it may be...will I pay $40 more one way than basic economy and not get any water, have to pay to use the lavatory, and are prohibited from standing up except to use the lav or deplane?

notquiteaff Dec 7, 2018 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30507942)
Airlines are watching here, at least to some extent, so what I write is not secret.

They are testing the water. Basic economy vs. economy fare differential varies. Sometimes $20 each way, sometimes $30. Some airlines will let you pick seats from the last 4 rows then they will assign probably mostly middle seats after that.

If I am elite, will I pay $20 more one way on a transcon than basic economy to get my pick of seats, which might include exit rows?
If I am not elite, will I pay $30 more one way than basic economy and get an average seat versus a rear middle?
Someday, it may be...will I pay $40 more one way than basic economy and not get any water, have to pay to use the lavatory, and are prohibited from standing up except to use the lav or deplane?

and then adopt dynamic pricing schemes ...

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/d...-airfares.html

jsguyrus Dec 7, 2018 9:39 am

So on west coast flights that were $69 (SEA-SFO) its now $99, so a nice 30% fare increase. Not thrilled.

czpdx Dec 7, 2018 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 30507942)

I think those are all fairly straightforward questions for a traveler to answer. The tricky part comes with the throwaway nature of Saver tickets.

If I am MVPG+, will I pay $30 more for the ability to change/cancel my ticket on the off chance that my plans change?
If I'm not MVPG+, will I pay $30 more for the opportunity to pay an additional $125 to change/cancel my ticket on the off chance that my plans change? How does $30 + $125 compare to the cost of the ticket itself? How likely is it that I'll need to change/cancel? How often will I buy up and not end up needing to cancel? How will that average out at the end of the year?

So many what-ifs that now need to be considered compared to what used to be a simple purchase. That's where WN does things so right. No what-ifs. Simple, straightforward, and no need to twist yourself into knots figuring out which avenue is the best option.

jiburi Dec 7, 2018 9:58 am

Seriously, with this basic economy disguised as a small poison for elite level travelers, this will definitely change the dynamic of future flying on Alaska Airlines.
Elites are now expected to pay additional $900+ ($30 X 30 transcon) to feel the current level of Alaska love (75K).
Who knows what the additional fees are going to be in 2020 and beyond.

For many, time has now come to decide your allegiance. To pay "up charge" and fly Alaska, or become free agent.

Jiburi

Flying for Fun Dec 7, 2018 10:49 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 30509196)
So on west coast flights that were $69 (SEA-SFO) its now $99, so a nice 30% fare increase. Not thrilled.

The increase is actually 43.5% (30÷69) ;)

James

chrisl137 Dec 7, 2018 11:19 am

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 30509261)
Seriously, with this basic economy disguised as a small poison for elite level travelers, this will definitely change the dynamic of future flying on Alaska Airlines.
Elites are now expected to pay additional $900+ ($30 X 30 transcon) to feel the current level of Alaska love (75K).

It's sort of a variation on including an EQD based element in the program - instead of making you buy more expensive tickets to qualify, you have to buy more expensive tickets to get all the benefits after you qualify. And you still get more benefits than over at UA. If they don't go and add an EQD component like the US3, then it probably lets flyers off at less penalty than adding EQD would, and lets you qualify on cheap fares (it's still 500 mile minimum/segment, so throwaway saver fares on commuter flights can accumulate EQM relatively cheaply) and pick and choose whether you'd rather have the benefit or the $.

CalanMan Dec 7, 2018 1:49 pm

Sorry to re-post something I posted on a different thread, but I feel it's worth pointing out in here, too.

The period of a uniform $30 buy-up is definitely over, and it only lasted a few weeks. Here's an evening in March 2019: $30, $20, $10, or no Saver, depending on the flight. I don't know if these are being set based on other carriers' schedules, or if it happens automatically, based on available underlying fare class.https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ee5bf0065b.png
For the curious, here are the costs to buy out of Saver:
$99: L (+ $30 or ~18%)
$211: H (so no Saver would be expected here, but + $0 or 0%)
$114: G (+ $20 or ~21%)
$124: K (+ $10 or ~9%)

I don't mean to be pollyannaish about this. I am deeply unhappy about these Saver fares. But claims that they're a 50% price hike are just not accurate.

FlyingBear Dec 7, 2018 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by CalanMan (Post 30510214)
The period of a uniform $30 buy-up is definitely over, and it only lasted a few weeks.

Agreed. Seeing +$15 for the buy-up on SFO-LAX fares, which is more reasonable than $30. I'm still a bit miffed that they wouldn't scale it at least on the intra-CA flights on the initial roll out, but I guess it is better to start high and go down than do the reverse.
I would really love to see how the volume of bookings on short-haul flights have changed since the X rollout and for the BF/Cyber-Monday sale compared to last year for comparisons sake.

VegasGambler Dec 7, 2018 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by CalanMan (Post 30510214)
I don't mean to be pollyannaish about this. I am deeply unhappy about these Saver fares. But claims that they're a 50% price hike are just not accurate.

It was true. It's only within the last week that the buy-ups have been modified.

Last week there were, for example, SFO-LAX flights were saver was $49 and main was $79. Now they have come down to saver $49, main $64. That's still a 30% price hike

I even see an LAX-LAS flight that's $51 for saver and $81 for Main (59% -- AS 1490 on 1/25)

It took me only a couple of seconds to find this -- I just did a search on some random dates. I'm sure that if you take some times you can find more. I don't think that they are rare cases.

So, while it's not a 50% hike across the board, it is a very steep price hike, sometimes even exceeding 50%, particularly on short routes.

CalanMan Dec 7, 2018 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBear (Post 30510284)
I would really love to see how the volume of bookings on short-haul flights have changed since the X rollout and for the BF/Cyber-Monday sale compared to last year for comparisons sake.

Yeah, in my mind, it's super unfortunate that the $30 buy-up period basically hosed the Black Friday sale this year. Maybe that was their intent?

There were definitely some tickets that I would have purchased for the $10 markup, but $30 was just too much. Southwest seems to be getting a fair chunk of my late-winter/early-spring travel in 2019, which totally bums me out.

jinglish Dec 7, 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by CalanMan (Post 30510472)
Yeah, in my mind, it's super unfortunate that the $30 buy-up period basically hosed the Black Friday sale this year. Maybe that was their intent?

Running a sale with the express purpose of having people not buy the things on sale? I think it's far more likely that they just started with $30 for all flights as a baseline and then realized how terrible of an idea that was after dismal Cyber Monday sales.

FlyingBear Dec 7, 2018 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 30510583)
Running a sale with the express purpose of having people not buy the things on sale? I think it's far more likely that they just started with $30 for all flights as a baseline and then realized how terrible of an idea that was after dismal Cyber Monday sales.

My thoughts exactly. I don't have the data to back me up, but I feel like the implementation could have been better developed than a flat rollout. Of course, I'm not revenue management and will never know the full extent of the story in fairness to AS. I hope that if that was the case, they take some lessons learned though.

CalanMan Dec 7, 2018 3:52 pm

Yes, also very much hoping that that's the case.

If I put on my tinfoil hat, "Running a sale with the express purpose of having people not buy the things [at the sale price]," does make a little bit more business sense.

But I like your conclusion better, so that's what I'm going to choose to believe. :D

PDXPremier Dec 7, 2018 4:17 pm

I agree...I think the Cyber Monday sale, which use to be a pretty big deal, was largely ignored this year.

tom911 Dec 7, 2018 4:18 pm

Might even be more than that if you factor Hawaii travel which is about the same distance as transcon for those of us on the west coast. Some of those are an additional $45 each way.

The primary reason I'm with Alaska is miles. Start tampering with those and I can live off my lifetime AA or UA status. I rarely make flight changes and if I can find a window seat I might be a likely candidate to at least give basic economy a try.

Tom in Nuremberg tonight

xliioper Dec 7, 2018 9:16 pm

For many, time has now come to decide your allegiance. To pay "up charge" and fly Alaska, or become free agent.

Jiburi

The vast majority of flyers doing 30 transcons a year are likely business flyers who aren't paying for their flights and don't really care what it costs. I suspect a big part of the reason Basic Economy fares have succeeded is that many corporate purchasing departments are now excluding them -- much to the delight of the airlines.

jrl767 Dec 7, 2018 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 30511432)
The vast majority of flyers doing 30 transcons a year are likely business flyers who aren't paying for their flights and don't really care what it costs. I suspect a big part of the reason Basic Economy fares have succeeded is that many corporate purchasing departments are now excluding them -- much to the delight of the airlines.

the individuals may not particularly care, but their travel accounting departments most likely do ... in my case, Concur flags anything beyond $25 over “lowest logical fare” (but luckily — so far — doesn’t return Basic Economy options in flight searches)

notquiteaff Dec 7, 2018 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30511546)

the individuals may not particularly care, but their travel accounting departments most likely do ...

Exactly. I doubt that large corporate travel buyers are just eating a 20-40% surcharge... or able to. Presumably if they are large enough, they will negotiate some deal with their preferred airlines.

nsx Dec 7, 2018 11:54 pm

I just helped a family member and companion buy Saver Fares to Hawaii. The family member has the Alaska Visa and we used the companion ticket for a mostly free second ticket. With the Visa card, they each get a free bag. As non-elites with firm travel plans, the Saver Fare restrictions cost them almost nothing. Three rows of windows and aisles were available near the back. Main Fare seats were no better, merely closer to the front. Priority boarding isn't a big deal on a leisure flight, where overhead bins are less likely to be full.

I have Gold Guest upgrades which they can't use now, but there's no way even one of those, let alone two, will become available on Hawaii flights to non-elites once they are gone. I bought the tickets with my Chase Sapphire Reserve card in order to have Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption protection.

Saver Fares are a large step down from Main for top elites, but only a small step down for non-elites.

xliioper Dec 8, 2018 1:51 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 30511564)

Exactly. I doubt that large corporate travel buyers are just eating a 20-40% surcharge... or able to. Presumably if they are large enough, they will negotiate some deal with their preferred airlines.

How many corps buy tickets well in advance where the additional expense is that large? I doubt there is many. Our Concur includes alternatives like NK and WN, but they are not considered "Preferred" airlines and we don't have to book them. The flights ordered by non-stop and preferred airlines and the preferred are just the big three legacies which all have BE fares now (which are filtered out).

VegasGambler Dec 8, 2018 3:04 am

SJC-PDX: saver $76; Main $117. $41 buy-up.

I wonder what the max will be?

nsx Dec 8, 2018 8:56 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30511998)
SJC-PDX: saver $76; Main $117. $41 buy-up.

I wonder what the max will be?

I saw $45 on one OAK-OGG flight.

notquiteaff Dec 8, 2018 9:31 am

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 30511701)
Saver Fares are a large step down from Main for top elites, but only a small step down for non-elites.

A surcharge for those wanting to use elite benefits.

Flying for Fun Dec 8, 2018 9:48 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 30512723)

I see it the other way around. :)

James

Bretmd Dec 8, 2018 10:10 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 30512723)

Or in some cases, a surcharge for almost nothing. Looking at PVR to SEA on 3/13, paying an extra $32 as an MVP doesn’t provide an exit row seat because it’s an Airbus seating configuration. Getting an upgrade to even premium class seems less likely than being struck by lightning. Even the elite seats in the front are selected, with the exception of a few middle seats. Yet, there are still seats in the back available to select for a saver fare. So, as an MVP, the only reason to pay up to main cabin is for the added flexibility.

I ended up booking the DL flight, which saved $96 and included a more reasonable $15 buy up from saver to main. I realize that booking away from AS on this trip may be the reason I don’t make MVP in 2020. But, given what little MVP benefits are left, along with a new surcharge in place to utilize them, I just don’t see the point of paying more to retain status on Alaska anymore.

notquiteaff Dec 8, 2018 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30512775)
I see it the other way around. :)

James

Elite benefits for those interested in paying a surcharge? ;)

That is kind of what I am going to do going forward, I think. Buy what I want/need and pay no more. Want PC? Sure, I will pay. Don’t expect to need flexibility? Don’t pay for it. And certainly don’t pay AS higher fares because I may need the EQM. #FreeAgentFTW

Originally Posted by Bretmd (Post 30512840)
I ended up booking the DL flight, which saved $96 and included a more reasonable $15 buy up from saver to main. I realize that booking away from AS on this trip may be the reason I don’t make MVP in 2020. But, given what little MVP benefits are left, along with a new surcharge in place to utilize them, I just don’t see the point of paying more to retain status on Alaska anymore.

Yes. MVP has very little appeal to me. No worth spending time tracking and planning for. We’ll keep ourcredit cards because it is at worst cost neutral (AF covered by companion fare discount), so we will have free checked bags if needed. We can afford to buy PC when it matters, or buy exit row out from elites’ butts.

jrl767 Dec 8, 2018 11:15 am

willing to bet these aren't X fares

clicking on WAS-SEA brings up travel dates of 2-9 Jan, and Saver isn't even offered (moreover, the lowest-priced flights on those dates come out to $448)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b4e18c6aec.jpg

incidentally, on 23 Jan the X-->Main buyup is only $10 (IAD-SEA and BWI-LAX-SEA)

nsx Dec 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Saver fares disappeared today from the OAK-OGG route I've been watching. At the top of the home page in yellow is the notice "Looks like we are experiencing a temporary technical issue. We are aware of the issue and are actively looking into it."

Edited to add: The fare listed on the date ribbon is the Saver fare, but the Saver column is absent from the fare matrix.

I wonder whether Alaska is tweaking its Saver pricing tactics on Hawaii routes.

pbd456 Dec 15, 2018 9:38 pm

dont even know why. booked 30k miles on AS on R class in Jan Feb...
flying almost every weekend...

originally only booked 3 trips (including MLK and President day long weekend) and another trip for personal reason.

expedia app 100 off means i booked 3 more round trip jfk sea for 156 usd in R class. oh well.

enzian Dec 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Quick question re: Saver fares

If we get one free checked bag with our Alaska Visa payment card, does that apply to Saver fares as well?

JacksonFlyer Dec 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Yes....you can view the many posts on this topic.

pbd456 Dec 19, 2018 3:00 am

i booked one way JFK SFO R class -- 10 USD over X class on Feb 16.

already have ovee 30k AS miles booked in R class.....

CDKing Dec 19, 2018 9:37 am

Interesting glitch, we allow you to select saver on impossible booking :D At least it errors out once adding to the cart

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...50a7a1b20e.jpg

bmvaughn Dec 19, 2018 11:24 am

Have been looking this week to see if Saver fares were only sold 3+ weeks out, but given we still see them for 1/8, it looks like they are at least sold within the 3-week window.

VegasGambler Dec 19, 2018 11:45 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 30553483)
Have been looking this week to see if Saver fares were only sold 3+ weeks out, but given we still see them for 1/8, it looks like they are at least sold within the 3-week window.

Doing a quick search on EF, I see X fares with a 3-day advance purchase requirement, but none without any requirement. (Which is not too say that there aren't any -- my search was not thorough)

s0ssos Dec 19, 2018 11:13 pm

How come sometimes they don't show up? Jan 14, SNA SJC (but days around it do)

jrl767 Dec 19, 2018 11:29 pm

maybe sold out for that date already ...

VegasGambler Dec 19, 2018 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 30555737)
How come sometimes they don't show up? Jan 14, SNA SJC (but days around it do)

For this specific example (SNA-SJC) there are 4 fares published which book into X. All have 21 day advance purchase requirements. Two have underlying fare class R, one is T, one is G.

However, the cheapest fare that books into X (underlying R) is the same price as the cheapest R fare that books into R. The AS website seems to not show saver fares when the cheapest saver fare is the same price or more than the cheapest main fare.

On the other hand, the cheapest T fare which books into X is $15 cheaper than the cheapest T fare which books into T. So once the R space is gone, the main fare will jump to the cheapest T price, and saver will show as available (as long as it's at least 21 days before the flight), with a $15 buy up.

The first flight of that day is R1 so it might happen soon (all are X7, which really means >= 7)