Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:29 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond

https://www.thisisinsider.com/alaska...-united-2018-9

"I think for us, it starts with a product that's more generous than our competitors have, you earn miles, you can bring a carry-on bag, "Alaska Airlines managing director of marketing and advertising, Natalie Bowman told Business Insider.

Saver Fare passengers can also pre-select seats, a feature other airlines do not offer when flying on basic economy. On the downside, passengers traveling on the discount fare will be relegated to the back of the cabin and in all-likelihood a middle seat.
No mention of whether the fares will be upgrade eligible. And of course the article claims this is all about targeting the price conscious customer, when really it's just the same price as the old lowest regular economy fares with fewer things included, as a mechanism to extract revenue from customers who pay to avoid it.

Neil
jjmadison likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:32 pm

Wonder if this will be the last straw. They are already more expensive and have no network to rely on in IRROPS.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
If you can select a seat, earn miles, and bring a carryon bag, then what exactly is different between this product and normal economy?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
If you can select a seat, earn miles, and bring a carryon bag, then what exactly is different between this product and normal economy?
Likely two things people really care about, e.g. middle seats in the rear and wholly inflexible, e.g. have to buy a new ticket if you need to make a change.

The former is the same as no seat selection, it simply gives the passenger the illusion of selecting from the worst seats. The latter is a cash cow for the carrier.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Probably no changes allowed, no same day standby, board last, and perhaps no elite upgrades to premium/first.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:53 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

They didn't say *how many* miles you earn for this. It could be 25% of the normal amount of miles for that flight and it would still qualify as "earning miles". Also you presumably board last which means even if you are allowed a carry on the only one you'd likely be able to reasonably get on board is one that fits under the seat in front of you.

Neil
Single_Flyer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I don't get why you'd likely end up in the middle if you can select a seat. Are they planning on blocking most seats, so you can only choose mostly middles towards the back? Not sure why that would be any better than not being able to choose seats ahead of time at all. You choose seats ahead of time so you don't end up in the middle.

This will likely hurt elites the most. As a Gold I'll probably be getting very little benefits with basic economy tickets. So the option would be to pay more, or end up being a de facto non-elite. Doubt these will allow changes or upgrades.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:18 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Are they planning on blocking most seats, so you can only choose mostly middles towards the back?
Yes.
As a Gold I'll probably be getting very little benefits with basic economy tickets. So the option would be to pay more, or end up being a de facto non-elite.
This is exactly the point to these fares. They aren't lower fares. They are the same price fares with fewer benefits that make people like you and me pay more to avoid them.

Neil
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:09 pm

I'm pretty sure my work makes me buy the cheapest fare. Thanks, Alaska.

I see the logic though. Last minute fares cost most (wait, do they?) and often get worst seat.

With this and the post 60 day change cancellation, it becomes hatder to find much to like in Alaska other than their network from Seattle. And Delta is catching up.
notquiteaff and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
They are already more expensive and have no network to rely on in IRROPS.
Last transcon I bought for work, AS was cheaper than UA (our preferred carrier, where we get discounts) so they booked my requested AS flights.

Generally they seem to be competitive when I'm buying tickets, at least on the routes and times I'm flying.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I don't get why you'd likely end up in the middle if you can select a seat. Are they planning on blocking most seats, so you can only choose mostly middles towards the back? Not sure why that would be any better than not being able to choose seats ahead of time at all. You choose seats ahead of time so you don't end up in the middle.

This will likely hurt elites the most. As a Gold I'll probably be getting very little benefits with basic economy tickets. So the option would be to pay more, or end up being a de facto non-elite. Doubt these will allow changes or upgrades.
perhaps seat selection will only be from OLCI inside T-24, and BE fares will be restricted to seats behind the exit rows. so you get to choose versus them choosing for you, but the choices won't be great.

i am confident the mileage earning will be <100%.

regarding employer purchases, my employer's travel portal blocks basic economy fares. there are plenty of times they are offered by Delta, but the lowest fare returned by our portal is the lowest main cabin fare with normal privileges. from what i have heard many employers who use travel portals have instilled this logic in their searches/booking rules.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
regarding employer purchases, my employer's travel portal blocks basic economy fares. there are plenty of times they are offered by Delta, but the lowest fare returned by our portal is the lowest main cabin fare with normal privileges. from what i have heard many employers who use travel portals have instilled this logic in their searches/booking rules.
I have someone else deal with Concur for me, but I think ours blocks BE. At any rate, we make enough changes that they don't buy us BE fares - I had a couple straight years where I don't think I flew a single itinerary as originally booked.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

Perhaps the difference (from the competition) is that elites would still see preferred seats?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i am confident the mileage earning will be <100%.
I am confident thats coming to all fare classes soon other than refundable..
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by missamo80
This is exactly the point to these fares. They aren't lower fares. They are the same price fares with fewer benefits that make people like you and me pay more to avoid them.
The other carriers' BE programs have been Trojan Horse price hikes. They are not discounts against old economy fares, with less benefits. They are the old economy fares, with the benefits formerly associated with same now priced higher. Presumably AS will be no less disappointing.
flatdawgs likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.