Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a significant slice of the traveling public which simply abandons the residual credit from standard penalty tickets anyway. Either they don't travel enough, they forget or it is just to much of a hassle. Those people are attracted to the lowest fare. It is way overthinking things to believe that there are a lot of people who make a rational choice about these things.

Just look at the one-time wonder rants here on FT from people who bought a BE ticket, were forced to sit apart from somebody for a <2 hour flight and the carrier ruined their life because it would not force someone out of a seat to meet their needs. Or their dog ate a $5 winning lottery ticket and they are too upset to travel and can't understand why the carrier won't refund their BE ticket.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Often1
There is a significant slice of the traveling public which simply abandons the residual credit from standard penalty tickets anyway. Either they don't travel enough, they forget or it is just to much of a hassle. Those people are attracted to the lowest fare. It is way overthinking things to believe that there are a lot of people who make a rational choice about these things.

Just look at the one-time wonder rants here on FT from people who bought a BE ticket, were forced to sit apart from somebody for a <2 hour flight and the carrier ruined their life because it would not force someone out of a seat to meet their needs. Or their dog ate a $5 winning lottery ticket and they are too upset to travel and can't understand why the carrier won't refund their BE ticket.
was the dog an ESA?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by DG206
If you are like me and get stuck on nothing but Q400's where every seat is terrible, Id gladly save a few bucks to not pre select a seat
You are not saving anything compared to what you pay today, though. Other than the time to actually select a seat, but you can always skip that.

Also, I am almost always able to get 1B, which I like (my wife grumbles in 1A but understands my desire for leg room).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Also, I am almost always able to get 1B, which I like (my wife grumbles in 1A but understands my desire for leg room).
Half the people don't close the door to the restroom when they're done. That seat stinks- literally
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are not saving anything compared to what you pay today, though. Other than the time to actually select a seat, but you can always skip that.

It does not matter whether your ticket tomorrow represents a savings over your ticket today.

All that matters is what a ticket costs tomorrow in BE and then plain old Y. The fact that carriers use BE not to cut fares, but to raise them is the subject of endless rants on FT, but carriers set prices based on what they can get today, not what they could get yesterday.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It sounds like Orbitz serves you poorly. Continuing to use it is a market choice you make.
ITAMatrix also serves one poorly then. Don't know what google flights does as I hate the fact that google destroyed ITAMatrix so don't use it
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:28 pm

I wonder whether elites can change the BE tickets without a fee. None of the legacy airlines have that policy anyway, only Southwest (which doesn't have BE) and Jetblue (which also doesn't have BE)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
BE tix are essentially “use-or-lose” and cannot be changed at all ... but I would never be surprised to learn that, in some instances, a phone agent or airport counter agent might have waived that rule for an elite
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Often1
It does not matter whether your ticket tomorrow represents a savings over your ticket today.

All that matters is what a ticket costs tomorrow in BE and then plain old Y. The fact that carriers use BE not to cut fares, but to raise them is the subject of endless rants on FT, but carriers set prices based on what they can get today, not what they could get yesterday.
If they didn’t think that they could earn overall more tomorrow than today (whether through add on fees or people opting to buy regular economy to avoid the restrictions), they presumably would not go through the trouble of creating them. Those cost of implementation and negative press isn’t exactly small.

And where does that extra revenue (and presumably profit) come from?

Of course, it is too simplistic to assume that every BE fare is exactly what the regular Economy fare would have been ... (or was)

The airlines might say they need these “lower” fares to better compete with no frills carriers. You know, to fill all those empty seats we see on the planes with more price sensitive travelers.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Sep 19, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they didn’t think that they could earn overall more tomorrow than today (whether through add on fees or people opting to buy regular economy to avoid the restrictions), they presumably would not go through the trouble of creating them. Those cost of implementation and negative press isn’t exactly small.

And where does that extra revenue (and presumably profit) come from?

Of course, it is too simplistic to assume that every BE fare is exactly what the regular Economy fare would have been ... (or was)

The airlines might say they need these “lower” fares to better compete with no frills carriers. You know, to fill all those empty seats we see on the planes with more price sensitive travelers.
negative press has no consequence in a follow the leader world. Just look at what’s currently happening with the $5 bump in the bag fee you’ll pay on that BE ticket
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I'm thinking that Club 49 benefits won't apply to Basic, and I think our elite benefits will be trimmed.

However, I'm optimistic. Was just pricing an AA Intl itinerary - and Basic to "Regular" was only $15 more.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:03 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Was just pricing an AA Intl itinerary - and Basic to "Regular" was only $15 more.
That's exactly what the airlines hope happen. It's "only" $15, but you just paid $15 more than you used to for the same flight with the same benefits.

Neil
PV_Premier and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missamo80
That's exactly what the airlines hope happen. It's "only" $15, but you just paid $15 more than you used to for the same flight with the same benefits.

Neil
@:-)

not to mention that the aforementioned "regular" is also much worse than it used to be, thanks to slimlines, high density seating configurations, bag fees, etc, etc.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
But "other guys" Basic -> Regular Economy has been slightly larger jumps than $15. I've seen some hovering in the $50 range. So, I'll take $15 if I have to deal with Basic and let AAG pay their people more (or, I hope...)
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:13 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
and let AAG pay their people more
It's been a long day and I needed that laugh. Thank you

Neil
UAPremierExec likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.