Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-LAX "Business Class"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

Actually UA markets their “first class” product on that route as United Business so the AS product is the only one clearly out of step with the marketing of the competition.
What about the myriad of other markets (the majority actually) of similar distance where every other legacy airline offers a similar hard product and markets it as First Class? Should they all change the way they market those routes to Business Class as well?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
What about the myriad of other markets (the majority actually) of similar distance where every other legacy airline offers a similar hard product and markets it as First Class? Should they all change the way they market those routes to Business Class as well?
Behind the scenes, some have. VX F was always "J". Same with B6 Mint. AA changed the front cabin to J on everything but 3 cabin planes. DL (int'l) is all J up front, and J on select domestic routes. I don't know what UA is doing these days because, why would I want to? Nevertheless, the front cabin is still called First on pretty much every ghetto fabulous front cabin with 36" pitch, occasionally a video screen, pay for your wifi, and a craptastic meal served on elegant china.

Who knows. Maybe there's a union rule on maximum permitted syllables for boarding announcements, and to insure judicious usage of same, announcing the cabin as First Class is not only a syllable saver, it is a time saver, meaning those of you in a lesser boarding position will hear your zone called .005 seconds faster.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
If you follow through like you are booking the seats offered are in rows 1 and 2. Whatever they call this P fare one hopes that the passenger still receives the 75% mileage bonus.
agreed. 75% mileage makes this a fare worth considering when we book travel.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Markets, sure, but displays as F for sale. Bait and switch, perhaps?

But back on topic, I think the new AS F seat will be a happy compromise between the old product on AS metal and the old product on VX metal.
When you select it on the app and the website it clearly show United Business and it books into C class/other business class codes which is what it would show up as in the corporate booking sites.

Which is still a far cry from the rest of the competition in premium markets. It is always better to set lower expectations and exceed them than vice versa.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:34 am

Why would they? It is all about setting expectations. In many cases the F product on AS would be better than other competitors on non-premium routes where the competition is also marketing the flights as F. For the premium transcons, it does not make sense to sell a class higher than B6/UA/AA/DL when the product is not even as good. Corporate travel portals may also exclude AS as many companies only allow business fares on these premium routes and the product is obviously not exceeding above all the other competitors premium product--in fact the hard product is much worse.

Don't forget as well that these routes are transitioning from 8 seat cabins to cabins twice as big. Presumably they are going to need to sell more than a couple seats a flight in that cabin to make it even remotely possible to make money on those routes--especially at the times of year when the Y cabin is selling at $119.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Y'all are reading way too much into this. This is one of a thousand bugs with AS tech.

P is apparently improperly coded as Biz (probably because of partner awards). It should say First.

Whether they bother to fix it anytime soon is another question.
kevincrumbs likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Why would they? It is all about setting expectations.
Except that we all have expectations about the AS F cabin, as does pretty much everyone flying AS in the F cabin. It isn't like we're going to be having some party in Mega Ultra Platinum First Class. We know we'll get a pat of regular butter, in an OK seat, non-heartburn-inducing wine, and perhaps a piece of meat that is edible enough that you're not left with enough stuck between your teeth for the next day's breakfast. All of this, usually served with a smile.

https://adland.tv/commercials/i-cant...s-2002-030-usa

I do not expect this on an AS F trip. Nor does anyone. Nor does anyone who is a former VX flyer that hasn't been living in a cave on another planet.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
P is apparently improperly coded as Biz (probably because of partner awards). It should say First.
P is not an award bucket.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Y'all are reading way too much into this. This is one of a thousand bugs with AS tech.

Whether they bother to fix it anytime soon is another question.
I was thinking something similar. Maybe for partner codeshare connections to maintain consistent coding.

Also, I’m getting exhausted with reading complaints from jilted VX lovers decrying the F product on AS. Anybody with the gall to deem the AS F experience worst-among-domestics has not flown United or Delta or American in the last decade. Industry-wide, the total percentage of domestic flights with a premium F cabin amounts to a rounding error. On every other route, AS has the most comfortable domestic option currently available. Lack of PDB alcohol is an unforced error, but I will always opt for Alaska’s leg room with water over Delta’s glorified veal crates where I, at a towering 5’6”, feel cramped.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Behind the scenes, some have. VX F was always "J". Same with B6 Mint. AA changed the front cabin to J on everything but 3 cabin planes. DL (int'l) is all J up front, and J on select domestic routes. I don't know what UA is doing these days because, why would I want to? Nevertheless, the front cabin is still called First on pretty much every ghetto fabulous front cabin with 36" pitch, occasionally a video screen, pay for your wifi, and a craptastic meal served on elegant china.

Who knows. Maybe there's a union rule on maximum permitted syllables for boarding announcements, and to insure judicious usage of same, announcing the cabin as First Class is not only a syllable saver, it is a time saver, meaning those of you in a lesser boarding position will hear your zone called .005 seconds faster.
Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out why this one is always bashing AS and their "sub par" product when, on the majority of routes, is pretty competitive.

Biz-a-niss class is four syllables, while First Class is only two. Cut in 1/2. The efficiency experts all know that by cutting the syllables in half, boarding announcements will take significantly less time, thus boarding will also take significantly less time. Less time boarding = more time available for the planes to be in the air. Planes in the air = money. Planes boarding = no money. Airline economics. Oh, and yes, there is a union rule about how many syllables we have to say in one single announcement. Not only are the planes in the air longer, they can pay the FA's less by using words with less syllables.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by TravelBrighter
Also, I’m getting exhausted with reading complaints from jilted VX lovers decrying the F product on AS.
Get used to it. If the WN-FL tie-up is a good approximation, we'll be inundated with the "jilted" VX-ers for years to come.

Oh, and yes, there is a union rule about how many syllables we have to say in one single announcement. Not only are the planes in the air longer, they can pay the FA's less by using words with less syllables.
Is the credit card pitch exempt from this union rule?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:39 pm

Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out why this one is always bashing AS and their "sub par" product when, on the majority of routes, is pretty competitive.
This thread is specifically about JFK-LAX--not the majority of routes. AS clearly has the worst product on this premium route and have no interest in a sub fleet to compete.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:50 pm

This thread is specifically about JFK-LAX--not the majority of routes. AS clearly has the worst product on this premium route and have no interest in a sub fleet to compete.
Heck, if they just flew the A321s on this route in the existing PMVX configuration it would be better than AS metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.