Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

is the only reason to stay with Alaska the mile earning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is the only reason to stay with Alaska the mile earning?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Is there any other carrier that only allowed 1 free change within 24 hours?
DOT rules require 1 change or cancel within 24 hours of booking (most US carriers have been doing this since before it was a rule) or one hold., AA offers Hold everyone else 24 hour change/cancel
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
DOT rules require 1 change or cancel within 24 hours of booking (most US carriers have been doing this since before it was a rule) or one hold., AA offers Hold everyone else 24 hour change/cancel
I mean, I looked at other carrier's webpages and nobody states "1 change only" other than Alaska.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
You get one free change or can cancel and refund, within 24 hours.
The OP states that they had already taken advantage of the free change, which would negate the ability to then cancel and rebook with without penalty.
Then they attempted to make a second change and were charged the change fee for their non-Gold companion.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess the best path is to cancel and rebook from the get go rather than making a change as it allows you to maintain that extra flexibility.
missydarlin and notquiteaff like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
As the bloggers say when there is a "fare deal", buy first, then you can see whether it'll work out (and cancel if not)
Oh, I've definitely done this. During the WN fare sales, I'll sometimes snag something as soon as I see it because I know the $49's and $59's can disappear fast. (Sometimes I'm doing this on a competitor who's responding to the WN sale with even less inventory than WN.) Then I'll figure out that evening whether we actually want to do it (it usually involved wife or wife + kids) and, occasionally, cancel it entirely.

So the 1 change or free cancel thing is great. I've just never thought about trying to do a bunch of changes to one ticket. And thanks to this thread, I now know I actually can't do that on Alaska. It's best to just cancel and rebook a new PNR.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I mean, I looked at other carrier's webpages and nobody states "1 change only" other than Alaska.
  • From reading DL they only make mention of allowing cancel in the 24 hours no mention of change at all.
  • AA is a hold so the concept of change/cancel does not apply. Once you pay AA operated flights you are locked in.
  • United FT wiki mentions that benefit only applies to the original purchase, which i interpret as once you can't it you cant change again once its reissued
jinglish likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:02 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by halamadrid
Thanks for the clarification. I guess the best path is to cancel and rebook from the get go rather than making a change as it allows you to maintain that extra flexibility.
Its a little problematic when using a companion certificate, but otherwise, yes.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Its a little problematic when using a companion certificate, but otherwise, yes.
it's also frequently a nuisance after applying a GGU :/
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:46 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by jrl767
it's also frequently a nuisance after applying a GGU :/
Its the same nuisance as it is for any type of change when there is a GGU involved
dayone and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt airlines will ever get good at separating customers. Look at the DYKWIA threads. Don't think that just because people whine doesn't mean they aren't high-value.
But they do a pretty good job of determining which whiners give them better financial return. See what kind of response a GS gets on UA vs a silver vs a non MP member.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisl137
But they do a pretty good job of determining which whiners give them better financial return. See what kind of response a GS gets on UA vs a silver vs a non MP member.
That has nothing to do with whining.
I bet some GS whine a lot, some do not whine at all, and that silver whines more than gold and some nonMP members whine more than all of the above
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
AA switched from 24-hour hold to 24-hour cancel/refund last year. Flights must be purchased at least 2 days prior to departure (which exceed DOT rules which only require refunds for flights purchased 7 days or more out)

"You have up to 24 hours from the time of ticket purchase for a refund if you booked at least 2 days prior to departure. The 24-hour refund policy applies to all ticket types, but you have to cancel the trip to get a refund."

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...rvice-faqs.jsp
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Air Carrier CRMs will get better at separating out the low value but high-whine customers.
That has nothing to do with whining.
I bet some GS whine a lot, some do not whine at all, and that silver whines more than gold and some nonMP members whine more than all of the above
I think you're missing the other adjectival phrase that was in 3Cforme's original post. It's "low value but high whine" that the airlines separate out (bold added). If you're high value and high whine (like some 1K and GS, as can be seen on the UA forum very clearly) they just put up with you. If you're earning most of your AS miles on other airlines (if you're gold you're sitting in someone's airline seat, but since AS doesn't have a PQS requirement it isn't necessarily theirs) they might not see you as a high $ return.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I think you're missing the other adjectival phrase that was in 3Cforme's original post. It's "low value but high whine" that the airlines separate out (bold added). If you're high value and high whine (like some 1K and GS, as can be seen on the UA forum very clearly) they just put up with you. If you're earning most of your AS miles on other airlines (if you're gold you're sitting in someone's airline seat, but since AS doesn't have a PQS requirement it isn't necessarily theirs) they might not see you as a high $ return.
I think there are very few people who are gold on AS from flying other carriers. It is too hard to get. AS has no domestic partners who earn miles.
Back in the day there was DL and AA but that was years ago.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:21 pm

I think there are very few people who are gold on AS from flying other carriers. It is too hard to get. AS has no domestic partners who earn miles.

AA was a full partner literally last year.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Very easy to get status through partners if you take one or two long-haul trips in PE or J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.