Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

is the only reason to stay with Alaska the mile earning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is the only reason to stay with Alaska the mile earning?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If I'm going to be stuck in a coach seat, there's significant advantages to WN (no change/cancel fees, even on WGA fares, the award program is at least straightforward if not full of lucrative places to get Krug and showers). WN also has good frequencies in markets, and no tiny RJs. They will likely pick up my business once AS guts some more out of MP.
It's actually quite rare for me to not get E+ as a silver - I think this is the second time I can remember in the past 6 years or so, and the previous time the flight was booked a few hours before. I generally don't book WN for transcons because I've been able to reliably get E+ seats on UA, but I think that's because I don't normally fly through EWR. I use WN for regional nonstops, and if they had a better schedule between PDX and BUR I'd fly them more. I don't have a problem with the AS E175s - they're nice planes and very comfortable. UA CRJs, on the other hand, are quite cramped. As it is, AS makes the PDX-BUR/LAX commute very easy and more comfortable than WN.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:36 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
All things being equal I'd always choose AS, but they aren't! Schedule, price and convenience are usually larger priorities! But AS beats all the domestic IMHO and when I can I fly for the experience, value and of course the miles are nice.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chrisl137
One other thing that I've noticed that doesn't seem to get discussed on FT is that FF programs are all really split into two programs. The BIS program that provides perks for people who spend a lot of time actually paying to sit in the planes, and a separate "S&H Green Stamp" program that provides funny money for buying flights (or other things if you want). The BIS program is the real loyalty program - they give perks to the people who sit in the seats because they recognize that the more you do it, the more it sucks, and the perks make it at least tolerable. So programs separate the loyalty into the EQM/EQD/EQS part of the earnings that you get for paid BIS miles.
That's an informative construct. The OP is the Green Stamp user (acknowledging he's attracted by miles value) but expects the rule waivers that the high-value customers (sometimes) get. Air Carrier CRMs will get better at separating out the low value but high-whine customers. He will not find a happy home.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
If JSX ever launches a PacNW - East Bay service, I'd be a free agent.
I wish occasionally they'd do PDX-BUR, but it's probably the limit of their aircraft range when you include required margins, so it's probably unlikely any time soon. BUR and PDX are both such easy airports to get through (especially Term B at BUR), even without precheck, that I'm not sure it's that big an advantage other than the boarding process.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I guess UA isnt the only program having problems with over entitled elites.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's an informative construct. The OP is the Green Stamp user (acknowledging he's attracted by miles value) but expects the rule waivers that the high-value customers (sometimes) get. Air Carrier CRMs will get better at separating out the low value but high-whine customers. He will not find a happy home.
I never thought of myself as a Green Stamp user. But I guess so. I'll stay at junky Hyatt Places to collect nights, when there are much nicer hotels at the same price, better location. I think domestic flying is just miserable, first-class on AS may be even more uncomfortable than economy for red-eyes (cannot lean against the window to sleep, seats don't really recline, not wide so that extra space does nothing for me), food is always worse than airport food (I mean, the not so good airports. Obviously some airports have great food, like ORD-Berghoff and Tortas Fronteras), so it is great to lower one's expectations otherwise one will always be disappointed.

I doubt airlines will ever get good at separating customers. Look at the DYKWIA threads. Don't think that just because people whine doesn't mean they aren't high-value.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I status-matched from UA 1K to MVP Gold 75K, I'm getting way more out of it than the mileage. Consistent upgrades on Bay Area-LAX/ORD/JFK/EWR, mostly with the still awesome old VX F seats. On UA I'd be 10th on the list on a transcon, back in E+ with a free cheeseburger.

The hardest part is getting back to 75K, AS goes to most of the places I need to go, just not as frequently.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
"Is the only reason to stay with Alaska the miles earning?" For me, the mileage program has been great, even with some of the changes coming up, I do not think it will affect "me", others....who knows. However that is only one of several reasons I stay with AS. First, I fly out of SEA or PDX quite a bit and their schedule suits me fine. Although I have encountered mechanicals, ATC holds (PDX to SEA), crew issues or weather issues they have all paled to the amount of on-time departures and arrivals to my destination through the years. Even if the flight is delayed, the vast majority of time I arrive close to the schedule arrival. I have encountered grouchy employees both in flight and on the ground but these have paled to the thousands of encounters with outstanding FA, GA, Pilots, AS Lounge, Twitter or telephone employees that I have interacted with. Yes, for me there are far more reasons to be loyal to Alaska than just the miles. For me (again it is all in the eyes or wants of the beholder) cost is not as important as direct flights and AS has direct flights to all the places I need or want to go and after a long military career, seat pitch is a first world problem (although I understand for many others this is very important) but again, it is just me.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I think domestic flying is just miserable, first-class on AS may be even more uncomfortable than economy for red-eyes (cannot lean against the window to sleep, seats don't really recline, not wide so that extra space does nothing for me),
Wow, you are the first person I have ever heard say this besides myself (Bolding mine). Lol, I have taken a lot of flack for saying it too. I have gotten 4 upgrades to F this year, and gave 3 of them to my partner. The only one I kept was on an old Virgin plane. Now that is a comfortable seat!

I do not consider flying domestic miserable though. I just look at flying domestically about the same as taking public transportation (busses) in a city. It is just a cheap form of transportation to me. I gave up on expecting anything outstanding about flying many many years ago.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:18 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by halamadrid
I'm a little confused. OP states that it was still within 24 hours so why not just cancel and book the whole itinerary again without penalty.
You get one free change or can cancel and refund, within 24 hours.
The OP states that they had already taken advantage of the free change, which would negate the ability to then cancel and rebook with without penalty.
Then they attempted to make a second change and were charged the change fee for their non-Gold companion.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Was this all for a flight that was about to depart? (Within 24 hours?)

Why the heck would people need to do multiple changes to a ticket *right after they book it*?

My reasoning for flying AS is simple: they fly a few west coast nonstops that I like. I fly 'em enough to be a basic MVP and that's actually turned into a few upgrades. If I don't get the upgrade, then I have yet to fail to get a good premium (Y) seat. I wasn't an AS flier before 2017, so I have no memory of AS being different than it is today. For now, it seems okay with a few odd quirks.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin
You get one free change or can cancel and refund, within 24 hours.
The OP states that they had already taken advantage of the free change, which would negate the ability to then cancel and rebook with without penalty.
Then they attempted to make a second change and were charged the change fee for their non-Gold companion.
Is there any other carrier that only allowed 1 free change within 24 hours?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
Was this all for a flight that was about to depart? (Within 24 hours?)

Why the heck would people need to do multiple changes to a ticket *right after they book it*?
Simple. Buyer's regret. There was another poster who had made 15 changes to her award ticket over the span of a week? And got the ticket locked.
You buy it, but then aren't sure about it, then think about it and want to make a change, then think again, and ...

It is a big deal. That's why so many stores offer to have free refunds in America. If you go to Asia they'd laugh at you. I don't know how it is in Europe. But this ability to return gives us peace of mind.

Except it is limited by Alaska.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Simple. Buyer's regret. There was another poster who had made 15 changes to her award ticket over the span of a week? And got the ticket locked.
You buy it, but then aren't sure about it, then think about it and want to make a change, then think again, and ...

It is a big deal. That's why so many stores offer to have free refunds in America. If you go to Asia they'd laugh at you. I don't know how it is in Europe. But this ability to return gives us peace of mind.

Except it is limited by Alaska.
I remember that thread. I found that poster's behavior illogical.

Occasionally, I'll *cancel* a ticket right after buying it. Either the cancel or one courtesy change seems like a reasonable compromise. Beyond that, I say make up your mind first, and then book your itinerary.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
I remember that thread. I found that poster's behavior illogical.

Occasionally, I'll *cancel* a ticket right after buying it. Either the cancel or one courtesy change seems like a reasonable compromise. Beyond that, I say make up your mind first, and then book your itinerary.
Cause you haven't bought the marketing kool-aid. The idea is that you DON'T have to make up your mind and you'll be fine. Cause you can always change/return/cancel etc.
That's why they are doing away with signatures for credit cards in the US. Because it makes the transaction process take longer, and people have longer to thus think about their decisions. If you make the purchase process shorter and quicker you get more purchases.

As the bloggers say when there is a "fare deal", buy first, then you can see whether it'll work out (and cancel if not)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.