Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Downgrade F-J LAX-HKG on mileage ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA G CX S AS G DL PM

I have a mileage ticket booked LAX-HKG in F in Janurary, but CX has a equipment swap that switches the aircraft to 77G. what else can be done other than refunding the miles difference between F and J?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Nothing.
You get a downgrade, you get a refund of the difference.
You're certainly not owed anything else.
Now, if you wanted to explore other options, you might look for F on JAL via Narita, or I think Singapore does the route nonstop. But oh wait, Alaska can't actually be bothered to make mile redemption on Singapore a real thing, so it's still just an imaginary benefit.
But I'm not sure what you were getting at in your original question. If you're seeking some sort of compensation, then no, you're not entitled to anything but the fare difference.
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Call and be put on a flight with F?
Spiff and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: asiamiles, alaska mileage plan
can you not ask to get on another flight with first class on a different day?
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Options:

- take the downgrade and get miles refunded
- take a full refund
- see if CX will open F space on another day (this will be complicated and CX doesn't have to make space available)
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What else can be done? There is no F on your aircraft, so you cannot fly in F.

If you want to fly in F, you will have to contact AS (I am presuming AS because you posted in the AS forum) and ask AS to contact CX and ask CX to force open space on some other service which you would like. This is a multi-day manual process and CX need not and likely will not do this. But, since your flights are in January, you have time to try it.

Alternatively, look at other routings in F and ask AS to ticket you onto one of those. It goes without saying that there must be F award availability or the other carrier must agree to open space for AS.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Legend717
I think Singapore does the route nonstop. But oh wait, Alaska can't actually be bothered to make mile redemption on Singapore a real thing, so it's still just an imaginary benefit.
SQ would never make F/J space available to AS on that route so its a moot point.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
I had this happen last year, and AS got CX to open F seats on another flight that day.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
There is a partner liaison who works through these issues with partners and as other posters have suggested it isnt instant. But my experience is that you eventually get something better than the initially proposed downgrade.
Spiff and dayone like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Originally Posted by Erasmus
I had this happen last year, and AS got CX to open F seats on another flight that day.
Originally Posted by stephem
There is a partner liaison who works through these issues with partners and as other posters have suggested it isnt instant. But my experience is that you eventually get something better than the initially proposed downgrade.
How interesting! I have the same situation for February 2019 LAX-HKG, but despite my repeated questioning of the partner desk agents at AS, they flat-out deny the existence of a liaison and insist that they have absolutely no recourse with Cathay. How exactly did you folks frame your request, and did it require escalation to a 2nd- or 3rd-level supervisor?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by wylek
How interesting! I have the same situation for February 2019 LAX-HKG, but despite my repeated questioning of the partner desk agents at AS, they flat-out deny the existence of a liaison and insist that they have absolutely no recourse with Cathay. How exactly did you folks frame your request, and did it require escalation to a 2nd- or 3rd-level supervisor?
No particular escalation on the call, but it was far from instant. When I called, I simply pointed out to the agent that CX down-gauged the metal on my flight, removing F, but that the other three flights that day still had F. We agreed which one worked best with my connection, and they said they would work it out with CX. Took a few days, but they made it happen--which was good, as I managed to snag two F seats on the same flight, so was really bummed when it happened...
wylek likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by stephem
Yes there is/are. Had help with a domestic QF flight that never ticketed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.