Compensation on Alaska vs AA/UA

Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Compensation on Alaska vs AA/UA

Happened to have some issues on recent flights on three carriers - all flights of similar 2-3 hr duration:

AA (award flt in coach):
IFE not working on regional compass flt (gogo connects by no IFE) - filled out the form while still in flight: 2500 miles to each family member posted within 48 hr

UA (award flt in coach):
No internet connection at all - captain announced the likely problem before flight departure: $50 voucher to each family member next day

AS (award flt in F):
18hr delay, stranded in SEA overnight; despite misconnect being very obvious no proactive rebooking when the space was available and by arrival time everything was zeroed out: 10 days after emailing complaint and no response (MVPG too)

If AS wants to compete it may be beneficial to show some sign of apology and commitment to fix ops in SEA that cause pax to miss work and school...
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
That seems so bizarre, unless things have taken a major turn very recently. My last delay of more than 3 hrs, I was automatically provided a discount code. A very similar delay/forced overnight, I asked for more compensation as I'd missed something due to the delay and had to take a cab to get back to the airport as the shuttle didn't run early enough, and they agreed. Also MVPG here.

Their customer service and proactive nature in dealing with issues like this is/was one of their big advantages over the competition. Hoping they're just a bit backlogged and will get to you at some point. If nothing soon, maybe try asking one of the Twitter folks if they can look into it?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
AS (award flt in F):
18hr delay, stranded in SEA overnight;
What was the reason for the in-bound delay to SEA?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS, UA
Consider hitting Alaska up on Facebook or Twitter. That's very unusual not to receive a response after 10 days.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Why was your flight delayed?

My last flight had crew issues that delayed it 4 hours. I received a $75 discount by the time my flight landed - I didn’t have to even ask.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What was the reason for the in-bound delay to SEA?
sea atc as usual..
its not the delay that annoyed me the most but the lack of any proactive rebooking and insistence of staff at yyc that we could make it..
unfortunately wifi at yyc was acting up and i couldnt skype reservations myself
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
My buddy and I were in 4D & 4F flying from SEA-RDU on Thursday and our FA mistakenly told us we both had an option on our breakfast selection. I joked that 4F almost never gets a choice... turns out she miscounted. Came back a few minutes later to inform me. The other option sounded equally nice so I told her no worries. A few minutes later she comes back to my buddy in 4D slightly embarrassed to inform him that something was mislabeled or miscounted and he also didn't have an option. We laughed it off with her stressing it was no big deal.

She said "I'm going to give you both so many miles!" I honestly thought she was joking as we'd had a good laugh about the situation. Today I got a notification that 3k miles had been posted to my account.

That's a rather silly example in the grand scheme, but an example IMO of how they go over the top with their service. I literally was not inconvenienced one bit and they went above & beyond to take care of me.

I've had actual complaints in the past, they've taken care of me. I've had delayed flights due to items "within their control" (aka not weather) and they've been generous with compensation.

Obviously you are having a different experience but one I would say is not normal.
If they're not responding via email, I'd try the phone before I went social media route... I find their phone support to be very good.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Flown lots and lots of AS flights and have never once been "automatically" given compensation for issues regardless of the reason....whereas I automatically got 15K AA miles for a AA flight cancellation last January, but having said that, I don't expect it from AS so I'm not disappointed...it's just not the way they operate. Back in my UA days, they would email ecerts like candy....I remember reporting an non-operational video monitor and I think I got an ecert for $200 or $250....that's not going to happen on AS.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Flown lots and lots of AS flights and have never once been "automatically" given compensation for issues regardless of the reason....whereas I automatically got 15K AA miles for a AA flight cancellation last January, but having said that, I don't expect it from AS so I'm not disappointed...it's just not the way they operate. Back in my UA days, they would email ecerts like candy....I remember reporting an non-operational video monitor and I think I got an ecert for $200 or $250....that's not going to happen on AS.
This is the opposite of my AS experience. Delays that result from issues within their control consistently produce an emailed discount code. Sometimes it comes before we land.

But... I’ve been on the exact same flights as a part of a larger group (different reservation), and the rest didn’t get it. No idea why. They called in later and got the same compensation as I did, though.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
If AS wants to compete it may be beneficial to show some sign of apology and commitment to fix ops in SEA that cause pax to miss work and school...
I had an AS west coast flight cancel and it was the last flight of the day. Was offered the first flight of the next day but I opted for about noon.

When I checked e-mail the next day, I got an unsolicited email with a travel voucher good for a year valued at slightly more than my round trip ticket. In essence, the round trip of mine that was delayed was free. Much better than UA, AA, or DL.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Haven't been flying AS too long but received a $100 ecert automatically when a crew issue caused a tcon flight to be delayed 3h
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by sturges
Why was your flight delayed?

My last flight had crew issues that delayed it 4 hours. I received a $75 discount by the time my flight landed - I didn’t have to even ask.
I had a similar experience and received same compensation in March automatically.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Never experienced (thankfully) the issues the OP mentioned in my 30+ years of flying AS although there have been the occasional "issue" but they are usually worked out to my satisfaction. I fly only to the gold level and not anywhere near the amount of miles many business folks on this forum do on a yearly basis; sure there are a lot of challenges they face. I have found AS to be very generous with miles; I volunteered to move to a different seat as a couple where upset that they were not going to be able to sit together and were giving the FA a hard time, she punched in something to her handheld tablet said thank you so much and I received 3K into my account. Missed a connection at SEA due to delays getting out of DCA, was automatically rebooked on the next flight. Had a canceled flight in San Diego, took one look at the long line at the podium and called the Gold line and made the next flight. I feel blessed (and apparently lucky) that I haven't had to deal with some of the things mentioned above. However, I agree with the comment that if you did not hear something from the Company, a tweet or phone call might go a long way; my tweets to AS are responded to fairly quickly. Hope the OP gets some satisfaction.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

To follow up on my op - today i received an email from AS with an apology and certs for all pax on the itinerary.

It took two weeks so perhaps as the airline expanded customer service became overloaded, however i greatly appreciate that they actually read and responded to specific converns i raised. ^

To those in a similar situation - just give them some time to reply.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
To follow up on my op - today i received an email from AS with an apology and certs for all pax on the itinerary.

It took two weeks so perhaps as the airline expanded customer service became overloaded, however i greatly appreciate that they actually read and responded to specific converns i raised. ^

To those in a similar situation - just give them some time to reply.
Glad to hear they replied. What value of cert did they offer?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.