Schedule Changes (They Occur Frequently)

Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Schedule Changes (They Occur Frequently)

My last 3 trips and 3 upcoming trips all have had schedule changes.. In June, outbound to HNL was canceled from SFO and had to switch to OAK, return flight changed to OAK by 5 mins (resulting in new seat assignments; same plane though). Upcoming trips to LAS and SNA changed by about 2 hours, both directions.

Is it me? And why doesn't AS notify me via email? I always find out by logging onto my account. I suppose I'll continue to deal with the changes with the credit AS keeps giving me.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
They notify...eventually.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by channa
Yup. Anyway, come later this year, the Pacific Plate shifting is causing SFO to be 5 minutes faster from LAX .. at least in the morning. It remains about a half hour farther than it was 25-ish years ago, but still ... progress!
rustykettel and Dalo like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Maybe it's because I'm an SFO-based flyer who mostly flies to the East coast (on VS 320s), but I've had 4 (out of 9) long delays and cancelations on AS this year - twice out of EWR, once out of BWI and once out of ORD. Even a minor delay seems to throw AS schedules out of whack and cause cancelations while AA and DL seem to do fine in those cases. I can understand why (skeleton crews and few slots at those airports), but it's causing me to question my allegiance to AS.
mikeysf likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
Seriously? When? Perhaps I seem to stumble across the schedule change and alter plans before the email is sent.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:07 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A pro tip is to check all your itineraries for schedule changes at least once a month.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
Seriously? When? Perhaps I seem to stumble across the schedule change and alter plans before the email is sent.
They will eventually rebook you, which is the point when I have always gotten an email.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:26 pm

My flight FCA-SEA in January now departs 20 minutes earlier and arrives 5 minutes earlier. Must be taking the scenic route now.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
My flight FCA-SEA in January now departs 20 minutes earlier and arrives 5 minutes earlier. Must be taking the scenic route now.
yeah, that’ll be slowing down and taking a few S-turns between Spokane and the initial approach fix for SEA
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
You probably will be taking a scenic route. Also known as SEA flow control.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
I seem to notice the schedule changes when checking my AS app. Once, a few months back, I looked at my app for my flights this fall and had like 8+ flights with a schedule change alert. In fact, as I write this message, I've got a schedule change alert right now on my app for an award ticket in December... been on my phone for a few days, but it requires me to call, arrgghh.

I always have as many or more Southwest flights scheduled too, but Southwest never seems to change their flights (or at least they don't seem to tell me if they are changing their flights).
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:12 am

They do publish a Time Table on their website that I use from time to time but there is no guarantee that they will stick to it. It is a good guideline.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nfo/timetables
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chugach

You probably will be taking a scenic route. Also known as SEA flow control.
Indeed, also keeps the on time arrival in check. Nothing better than waiting at the end of the runway a thousand miles away for SEA to tell you it is okay to takeoff.

James
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Got one this week I was very pleased to see. PDX-SEA switched from a Q400 to E75. Had already used a GGU on the leg in from LIH, so called in and had that applied to this leg as soon as I got an ExpertFlyer alert. Now just crossing my fingers until the flight in February that it doesn't switch back.

Of course it was by happening to look at the app that I noticed this change, which also came with some changes on the other flights' departure times. The earlier advice to check your reservations from time to time is good, as I only recall a few instances where I got an email about a schedule change.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I'll simply say that checking once a month may even be too infrequent. I've noticed at least one change occur mid-week as the fleets and destinations are integrated (and it's not like it happened overnight Saturday/Sunday and I happened to check Wednesday ... in this case, I'd checked on a Sunday and then there was a change a few days later).

It's now a Sunday morning habit to check upcoming reservations. It used to be a first-Sunday-quarterly habit. Can't wait 'til this settles down a bit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.